• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)

mgaretz

Grilled kielbasa, potato salad, cabbage slaw (my brother's recipe - cabbage, sweet red pepper, onion, grated carrot wilted with a hot dressing then chilled) and a small amount or corn sautéed with basil and onion then tossed with a little vinegar (because I had one ear of corn left over from Sunday's dinner.)

DSC01472.jpg

• Like 19

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Soup.

DSCN0457b_600.jpg

Call it "clear tasting garland chrysanthemum tofu soup" ("清味茼蒿豆腐湯").  :)

Chicken stock, water, soft tofu chunks, trimmed washed garland chrysanthemum ("tong ho"). That's it.

Zucchini stir-fry w/ pork.

DSCN0466aCa_600.jpg

Served over lots of white rice.

Cocozelle zucchini [Full Hand Farm] sliced into batons. Pork cheeks [Fischer Farms, via Goose the Market] sliced up. Hot pan, hot oil, chopped smashed garlic, pork slices, sea salt, zucchini, sauté; covered for a bit, stir some more. Splashes of water.

On the way there.

DSCN0451a_400.jpgDSCN0454a_400.jpg

Half a melon.

DSCN0449a_500.jpg

This is a Sugar Cube melon [Van Antwerp's Farm Market] (see here too) – they're small melons which also keep well relatively speaking.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You accomplish pasteurization.  Whether pasteurization is important to you or to your loved ones is not for me to say.

Four hours at 140 deg F. is not horribly long and is unlikely to ruin a tender cut of pork.  That being said, four hours does seem a little long but hardly

worth a tirade.

Thanks Jo.

9 hours ago, Taveren said:

Completely unnecessary, though your electric company probably is all for it. You don't accomplish anything cooking tender cuts for hours.  Take it to temp, done. 

Well first, I'm hardly a newbie to SV.  Second, the tenderloin was frozen when it went into the bath.  Third, I have experimented with different timings and temps and four hours at 140f is what we like the best.

• Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

38 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Thanks Jo.

Well first, I'm hardly a newbie to SV.  Second, the tenderloin was frozen when it went into the bath.  Third, I have experimented with different timings and temps and four hours at 140f is what we like the best.

I'm with you, Mark.  Cook to please yourself and let Taveren do the same!  

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Would you be willing to share your recipe for tonkatsu sauce?

Sure. Ingredients: 1 cup catsup, 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup sake or dry vermouth, 2 Tbs grated ginger, 2 Tbs minced garlic, 1/4 cup sugar. Procedure: Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 2

This is from a few weeks ago, a typical meal when I am home alone. French comfort food - Puy lentils with a poached egg and fresh basil, plenty of red wine vinegar (also shallots, thyme, bay leaf, dried chili, olive oil). The egg was slightly runnier than I like, but that is a minor detail.

Puy lentils with basil, poached egg #food #lentils #egg #french #comfortfood

• Like 19

Yum!

I'm feeding a pescetarian friend at the weekend and she's arriving at 8.15 pm and I have to pick up my husband directly beforehand. Makes me think I should take a look at IP friendly fishy stew :)

• Like 3

My disappointing smothered pork chops with smashed yukon golds reheated beautifully in the CSO on SuperSteam and some German red cabbage from the freezer.  I have some more chops out for another go at the Down South recipe.

DSC01557.jpg

• Like 14

I had a bag of corn from  6 ears of corn I had toasted, cut from the cob and froze a while back before leaving town.  Made Mark Bittman's corn chowder tonight for dinner.  The stock was made from 1 qt of corn stock and 1 pint of chicken stock I pulled from the freezer. Tasted rather corny.  It was good

image.jpeg

• Like 17

On 8/1/2016 at 3:53 PM, rarerollingobject said:

And when I vegan, I vegan hard; lettuce, perilla leaf, witlof, zucchini flower and apple kimchi wraps. Bundle it all up into one tasty mouthful, and down the hatch in lovely shades of green.

image.jpeg

Beautiful photo.  And like posts from huiray I have to do a search for ingredients. 

• Like 3

Back to shrimp tonight with green fried tomatoes and a creole remoulade sauce.  The remoulade recipe is from Raised on a Roux, http://raisedonaroux.com/remoulade-sauce/ and it's pretty powerful stuff.  Definitely a little dab'll  do ya. The shrimp between the layers are sliced in half lengthwise to give the tomatoes a little chance to shine.  

rP1040940.jpg

• Like 17

Last night was kind of harried, and I didn't have a lot of time to cook, so I put together hot pastrami and muenster subs on french bread toasted in the oven and then topped with lettuce and tomato, a little olive oil and vinegar, and put together. I tried another promising looking frozen onion ring brand, but was disappointed again. They were made with whole rings, but they must have started with sweet onions, and by the time they were baked according to directions the onion was barely discernible by sight or taste. Neither of us liked them. Guess it's time to make my own again. It's the only way I can get them lightly battered like I like them anyway. Frozen french fries good; frozen onion rings bad. :)

Tonight we made the short trip to the seafood shop. He got his usual fried plate with trout instead of catfish this time. I got side orders of fried okra and maduros, and a dozen cherrystone clams to cook at home for tonight. I also got a pound of fresh wild shrimp to cook for tomorrow's dinner, which I have stashed in the freezer overnight. The shrimp was the only wild caught they had tonight, and larger than is ideal for the dish I have planned. It was $11.99 a pound, so I got it anyway. I might cut them in two lengthwise for cooking tomorrow.

I ate my okra and plantains while they were hot, but wasn't able to finish them all. Then I scrubbed and soaked the clams in cold water for a few minutes. I got out my 12" stainless chicken fryer, where all the clams would fit without crowding, and put about 1/8" water in the bottom. Marcella Hazan (who I respect immensely) recommends putting the clams into a dry pan and turning it to high heat. I have never had the guts to do this. Has anyone tried her method?

I melted 2 T butter and crushed a clove of garlic into it and deseeded a few lemon wedges. I cooked the garlic until just blond and fragrant, but wound up throwing it out after I started eating, because I just wanted plain butter with lemon with the clams. Wiped out the pan and had the plain butter I wanted quickly.

I boiled what little water I used, added the clams and covered it with a heavy glass lid so I could see what was going on with them. As each one popped open, I quickly scooped it out with a slotted spoon, and vigilantly waited for each one to just open, doing the same. These cherrystones were only $4.99 a dozen, but I prefer smaller littlenecks. These worked fine, though, since they were all I could get today, and I was glad to have them, once I got my dipping butter sorted. 

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

NY Strips, honking baked potatoes and tomato salad. I like to eat the skin of a well done baked potato, but these were just too big. I spotted the well marbled steaks at Stop & Shop on a gas run to Rhode Island this morning (7 miles down the road and way less tax). Deb likes her steak med-well and I like mine quite rare. A med well steak has to be well marbled if there is going to be any hope for it to be more than cardboard, but I play the game by the rules provided. I had to have blood work done today and fasted until late in the day, so I tucked into this meal like a homeless waif!

HC

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1566.JPGIMG_1565.JPG

Edited by HungryChris
sp (log)
  • Like 17

Tonight was a late work night and mostly leftovers.  Half a pork chop originally cooked and served last week, re-seared in a tad of grapeseed oil.  I had anovaed a batch of sweet potatoes a while back overnight, as you may recall (not that I expect you would).  The first two of which I tried a couple weeks ago I reported were less than satisfactory, but tonight's sweet potato was as good as the sweet potato I cooked for hours entirely in the CSO a few weeks previously.  Not sure what the variables are.

These, with applesauce and mace -- and thirty second green beans.  No matter what anyone may say, thirty second green beans don't take long to cook.

Soave, of course.

This meal left me strangely satisfied.  Last night was a lamb chop, bread, Boursin, broccolini, hollandaise.  All were good but they did not come together as well as tonight's humble leftovers.

Tasty as it was, the pork wasn't even Berkshire.  Though I do have a Berkshire chop rotting in the refrigerator as we speak.  Pork in America certainly has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years.

• Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Marcella's squid and peas.  So simple.  You simmer the squid in a little onion, garlic, tomato, parsley, salt and pepper...for 40 minutes until the squid is tender then add the peas, done.  Very mild delicate flavours.  The squid release quite a bit of moisture.  We had it over 18 egg yolk pasta.  However, I over did the peas while we waited for the pasta to cook :-(  Garden peas too.

DSC01562.jpgDSC01564.jpg

• Like 16

After my well-worn rotisserie endured about 20 years, it was time for me to get a new one for the summer--and now I can't stop spit-roasting meats and seafood!

Last night two spit-roasted game hens that were simply rubbed with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.  I keep the briquettes around the sides of the Weber and the game hens took about 50 minutes.  The spit-roasting keeps them incredibly juicy since they baste as they turn, and you get some crispy bits of golden skin.

IMG_0919.JPG

• Like 20

17 minutes ago, David Ross said:

After my well-worn rotisserie endured about 20 years, it was time for me to get a new one for the summer--and now I can't stop spit-roasting meats and seafood!

Last night two spit-roasted game hens that were simply rubbed with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.  I keep the briquettes around the sides of the Weber and the game hens took about 50 minutes.  The spit-roasting keeps them incredibly juicy since they baste as they turn, and you get some crispy bits of golden skin.

IMG_0919.JPG

I really like the way the birds are not pierced, but rather, caged. I have searched for this kind of setup, but not found one. Did it come from Weber?

HC

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

My disappointing smothered pork chops with smashed yukon golds reheated beautifully in the CSO on SuperSteam and some German red cabbage from the freezer.  I have some more chops out for another go at the Down South recipe.

DSC01557.jpg

Appropriate timing, as I have a head of red cabbage in the fridge and a hankering for Austrian red cabbage. It freezes well? I'm the only one who likes it, so I'm thinking of making some and freezing small portions.

16 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

Back to shrimp tonight with green fried tomatoes and a creole remoulade sauce.  The remoulade recipe is from Raised on a Roux, http://raisedonaroux.com/remoulade-sauce/ and it's pretty powerful stuff.  Definitely a little dab'll  do ya. The shrimp between the layers are sliced in half lengthwise to give the tomatoes a little chance to shine.  

rP1040940.jpg

A work of art. Makes me hungry.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com