• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)

mgaretz

I really fancied something simple tonight,so here are a few pork medallions, salted and peppered, then fried with shiitake mushrooms and scallions. With fries.

dinner.jpg

Followed by several slice sof delicious Hami melon (哈密瓜 hā mì guā)..

hamigua1.jpg

hamigua2.jpg

• Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Jo, I'm glad you're on the mend.  No more eating out for you lol.

Liuzhou, that melon looks so good.  I have one (I think it's a honeydew, actually) growing in the garden that I am anxiously awaiting.

The Silver Queen corn in the garden is just on the verge of being perfect.  Had to test a few ears last night.  Not quite done yet, but still very good.  The one that I had been peeking at ended up getting some smut on already.  That was my ear to eat :) .  

photo 3.jpg

Venison meatloaf, taters, gravy, green beans and homemade bread also.

photo 4.JPG

• Like 18

Four four packs of chicken thighs went into the bath @ 170f for 6 hrs or so.  Seasoned with salt, sprigs of thyme, bay leaf, rosemary, garlic, butter and olive oil.  

To be continued

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97
To correct c to f. (log)
  • Like 9

image.jpeg

Some of this (which I am not too shy to say was awesome) 

image.jpeg

made for a very tasty meal served over the rest of the beans which I roasted but this time seasoned with Trader Joe's 21 seasoning mix. 

• Like 21

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

Jo, I'm glad you're on the mend.  No more eating out for you lol.

Liuzhou, that melon looks so good.  I have one (I think it's a honeydew, actually) growing in the garden that I am anxiously awaiting.

The Silver Queen corn in the garden is just on the verge of being perfect.  Had to test a few ears last night.  Not quite done yet, but still very good.  The one that I had been peeking at ended up getting some smut on already.  That was my ear to eat :) .  

photo 3.jpg

Venison meatloaf, taters, gravy, green beans and homemade bread also.

photo 4.JPG

Good memories attached to the Silver Queen. When I was a kid, my sister and I would visit our grandparents (mom's side) every summer. About once every 2 or 3 weeks, grandpa would announce we were "going for a drive". What that meant was a long drive in search of roadside stands with people selling the bounty from their gardens. We'd usually end up with a pretty nice haul but grandpa's focus was on finding the Silver Queen corn. At every stop, my grandma would check out and choose the veggies she wanted. But when we found the corn, grandpa did the inspecting and choosing. Those trips almost always ended with a stop at Dairy Queen for an ice cream or root beer float. My sister and I were young and sometimes would get antsy being confined in the car for those long drives but we never complained... and I'd give almost anything that's mine to give to be able to go with them on one of those drives now.

• Like 16

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

My dinner is posted on the Create My Meal thread - I was up tonight.  Pork tenderloin with hoisin sauce, green beans with ginger and garlic, cabbage with carrots and rice. Probably more Asian inspired than actually Asian but good.

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 5

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

@Shelby I love silver queen corn and have not had it in years....people don't grow it around here anymore.  Too bad, I love the not so sweet and crisp shatter of the small kernels of Silver Queen corn.

Cedar planked bluefish (today's fish share offering), great local tomatoes, and local corn that I now wish was silver queen.

bluefish.jpg

• Like 15

@Okanagancook Poached shrimp are great. but these weren't ...probably should've been.

Shrimps were warm/hot. Just gently pan fried to near done and then held in the CSB for 10 min whilst I made the pan sauce...deglazed w white wine, garlic, bit of grated parm, anchovy paste, cream, basil, s/p.

• Like 3

Ah, a sweet potato anovaed twenty four hours, then steamed baked two hours at 350 deg F. in the CSO.  Simply boiled Brussels sprouts.  A well fatted Berkshire chop, aged a few weeks or more in the coldest spot of the refrigerator.

Once I found the rancid, cheesy notes of rotted pork somewhat off putting.  Now I rather crave them.  With sage, rosemary, and thyme (for which I made an outdoor excursion in my t-shirt).  For some reason I had no parsley.  Howbeit I'm listening to the sound track from the Graduate in my head.

It took some thought to choose a wine, but I selected Barbara d'Asti.  A felicitous pairing.

I'd hoped to make a second meal from the Berkshire chop, but alas this was not to be -- unless the bone flavors my next bowl of ramen.

What does sage remind you of?  As for me I'm dancing around with my friend the green fairy.  Which in turn reminds me of the paregoric my dear mother, a registered nurse, used to dose me with, for whatever.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Hickory smoked baby backs, cucumber and tomato salad.

IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

I have read about, but never tried, until now, the method of coating the ribs with ball park mustard, before the dry rub. It does help with the rub process, but, I think the salt in the rub should be reduced when using this method.IMG_1655.JPG

here they are after the rub has been applied.

IMG_1658.JPG

Here they are after smoking. I have already sliced off the ones for our meal.

IMG_1669.JPG

I also had some chicken that I marinated for Korean BBQ, but realized we were going out to dinner with a group tomorrow night and decided to smoke them with the pork, as they would be in the marinade a bit to long otherwise. It remains to be seen, how the Korean BBQ gets along with hickory smoke.

HC

IMG_1677.JPG 

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 20

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Once I found the rancid, cheesy notes of rotted pork somewhat off putting.  Now I rather crave them. 

This phrase has stuck in my head.

Inquiring minds etc...

i-BRGxCcW-L.jpg

Pe-cooked salmon, shrimp, and crab. Mixed with scallion, kimchi, and miso then left in the fridge for an hour. A layer of spinach on a wrap, the seafood mixture spread on top of that. Rolled and dropped in the deep fryer.

Gooey and crispy.

• Like 9

Soup.

DSCN0579a_600.jpg

Chicken stock (see here), extra rendered chicken fat & rendering scraps in pot, some extra water, some Maldon salt, half an onion [Fields Farm Fresh (their move)], green-shouldered yellow carrots [Silverthorn Farm], cocozelle zucchini [Full Hand Farm], minced pork [Kincaid's Meat Market], lots of basil [Silverthorn Farm] at the end.

The carrots & already-sliced zucchini.

DSCN0556aC_500.jpg

• Like 9

Took me a while, but this is from last Saturday.

Warm masabacha and tabbouleh salad. Also the necessary pickles and pita bread for the masabacha.

טאבולה.JPG20150801_110140.jpg

Masabacha is a dish closely related to hummus, made with hot chickpeas mixed with tahini, lemon, garlic, and often flavorings such as cumin, parsley and paprika, all served much hotter then the average hummus (which is often served lukewarm). I added chopped onions and sesame seeds for garnish.

It one of my favortie dishes, and one I eat very often. Hummus joints ("hummusia") often serve both dishes, since they are made with the same base ingredients.

I sometimes make hummus myself, but have never got to making masabacha, and sadly my preparation is not yet up to my standards... I hope to nail it next time.

• Like 13

~ Shai N.

ground lamb kebabs which fell of the skewers...always happens to me; roasted okra and potatoes tossed in an anchovy/feta cheese/red wine vinegar/olive oil dressing; green beans with shallots and cucumber & tomato salad with just lemon juice and cumin.

DSC01581.jpg

• Like 11