• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)

mgaretz

@kayb

I was also quite taken with the idea of freezing braised cabbage. I came across the idea in another place but dismissed it. Now I think about, it should work. Kerry and I were just discussing it and realizing that cabbage rolls freeze fine so why not?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, kayb said:

Appropriate timing, as I have a head of red cabbage in the fridge and a hankering for Austrian red cabbage. It freezes well? I'm the only one who likes it, so I'm thinking of making some and freezing small portions.

Yes, as others have said it freezes very well.  I think that batch has been in the freezer since March.  I like my red cabbage really well done so making a big batch and freezing in smaller portions is perfect.  It is quite rich so we only have about 1/2 cup each.  If you have a vacuum sealer, I put them in bags and they stack up in the freezer nicely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I really like the way the birds are not pierced, but rather, caged. I have searched for this kind of setup, but not found one. Did it come from Weber?

HC

No I actually found it at Home Depot.  It was in a basic box with no illustrations or photos on the outside, but said it was universal in size.  What I really like is the heavy duty spit rod and the rod has about 6 different pieces so you can expand the rod to the size of your grill.  The cages are bigger than the old Weber rotisserie I had, which I do like to hold the birds.

• Like 1

A few nights ago, we had burgers for dinner. There wasn't much of anything that was special about the burgers - we were in a hurry to have dinner that night, the patties are ground chuck and I didn't shape them very well, the buns are store bought, a slice of tomato, some mayo, melted cheddar. But we also had red relish on them, something we have both been missing on our burgers.

Other Canadians may remember the red hamburger relish that Bick's Pickle (of Ontario) used to make, before they were bought out by US-based Smucker. Smucker continued to make it in Canada, or for the Canadian market, for awhile but the grocery version has been completely discontinued now. Both my husband and I (and some of our friends) grew up on this red relish and we associate it with back-yard burgers and we missed it!

Finally I got around to doing a search for a recipe that might be similar and found one at Canadian Living. And it's really good, probably better than the original. And this weekend, the local paper featured a similar version, which I will also try soon. 

Funny how these little things can take you back and make you smile.  :)

A very unglamorous burger. 

IMGP6106.JPG

But it had this lovely condiment on it, ha! 

IMGP6114.JPG

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

A few nights ago, we had burgers for dinner. There wasn't much of anything that was special about the burgers - we were in a hurry to have dinner that night, the patties are ground chuck and I didn't shape them very well, the buns are store bought, a slice of tomato, some mayo, melted cheddar. But we also had red relish on them, something we have both been missing on our burgers.

Other Canadians may remember the red hamburger relish that Bick's Pickle (of Ontario) used to make, before they were bought out by US-based Smucker. Smucker continued to make it in Canada, or for the Canadian market, for awhile but the grocery version has been completely discontinued now. Both my husband and I (and some of our friends) grew up on this red relish and we associate it with back-yard burgers and we missed it!

Finally I got around to doing a search for a recipe that might be similar and found one at Canadian Living. And it's really good, probably better than the original. And this weekend, the local paper featured a similar version, which I will also try soon. 

IMGP6106.JPG

IMGP6114.JPG

I had totally forgotten about this relish, which is strange as I used to love the stuff.  Thanks for the memory - off to find the recipe! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

IMGP6106.JPG

IMGP6114.JPG

What, no Bick's Hamburger Relish? Oh I am so out of the loop it's not funny. Thanks for posting the links, I will have to make my own from now on. Your burger looks so tasty!

• Like 2

A riff on salad nicoise with grilled fresh tuna. I always cook for 3 - my husband and I and his lunch the next day.  He will probably eat this sitting on a overturned bucket at a construction site. 

DSC01487.jpg

• Like 19

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Roasted beets and mozzarella salad with basil dressing.

image.jpg

corn and potato soup with posched wild salmon and pesto,. Used left over French fries instead of potatoes.

image.jpg

• Like 13

I looked through the fridge and freezer trying to decide what to have with the corn on the cob I was going to cook for dinner. Then it occurred to me that a second ear of corn might be the perfect thing to accompany an ear of corn... and that was dinner. Well, the two ears of corn and the piece of bread I used to butter the corn.

• Like 15

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Vegetable stew made with what I could salvage out of my fridge: a zucchini, some scallions, a couple of ears of corn and some cherry tomatoes, basil, some tomato puree from the freezer and a couple of poached eggs.  The toast has garlic butter on it.  I really need to go food shopping.

summer stew.jpg

• Like 22

Fried green tomatoes topped with lump crab meat salad, tomato, cucumber and onion salad and some of the best corn so far. Even though we only eat 4 ears at most, I now buy 6 to cut off the cob and freeze for a winter treat.

HC

IMG_1589.JPGIMG_1583.JPGIMG_1584.JPGIMG_1587.JPG

• Like 16

57 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I looked through the fridge and freezer trying to decide what to have with the corn on the cob I was going to cook for dinner. Then it occurred to me that a second ear of corn might be the perfect thing to accompany an ear of corn... and that was dinner. Well, the two ears of corn and the piece of bread I used to butter the corn.

Sounds good.  After a 6 mile beach walk I had a couple of Manhattans for dinner and a hand full of nuts 

• Like 13

We had the wild NC shrimp tonight sauteed in garlic butter. There were twenty in the headless pound. I decided not to halve them because they were so beautiful, and because I was afraid of overcooking. I also washed and sliced 2/3 pound white button mushrooms, and sauteed them in two batches with butter and garlic. Cooked up 8 oz. thin spaghetti, and mixed with the shrimp and mushrooms. Top with parmesan cheese, serve on preheated plates and eat! We'll get four servings out of this. The only side we had was sliced fresh, ripe black plum and peach.

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

26 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

We had the wild NC shrimp tonight sauteed in garlic butter. There were twenty in the headless pound. I decided not to halve them because they were so beautiful, and because I was afraid of overcooking. I also washed and sliced 2/3 pound white button mushrooms, and sauteed them in two batches with butter and garlic. Cooked up 8 oz. thin spaghetti, and mixed with the shrimp and mushrooms. Top with parmesan cheese, serve on preheated plates and eat! We'll get four servings out of this. The only side we had was sliced fresh, ripe black plum and peach.

This sounds delicious and delightful.  I have a question about the shrimp.  It sounds like you sauteed them while they were unpeeled, then mixed them with the spaghetti and mushrooms.  At what stage were they peeled?  Or did you leave that to the respective eaters? I have trouble persuading my DH to peel and eat shrimp without their being mixed in with noodles.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Meatloaf casserole made from the leftovers.  Basically the meatloaf cut into smallish chunks with noodles and a ketchup-based sauce that mirrors the ketchup-based glaze on the meatloaf., topped with panko.  The sauce/glaze was ketchup, BBQ sauce and white sugar for both, but the casserole sauce had less sugar.

mlc.jpg

• Like 10

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

34 minutes ago, Smithy said:

This sounds delicious and delightful.  I have a question about the shrimp.  It sounds like you sauteed them while they were unpeeled, then mixed them with the spaghetti and mushrooms.  At what stage were they peeled?  Or did you leave that to the respective eaters? I have trouble persuading my DH to peel and eat shrimp without their being mixed in with noodles.

Oh no! I would never serve shrimp in a dish like that without peeling them. I admire the dishes from China and elsewhere that do something like that, but it really won't fly with most people in America. Also I have found one of the most effective ways to offer your party guests shrimp on a budget is to serve peel and eat with no sauce on the shrimp, but cocktail sauce and lemon wedges on the side. If you peel them for them, they will scarf down two, three or more times as many, and only the most adventurous eaters here (In USA) are interested in peeling sauced shrimp. I believe it's the only step in this simple recipe I left out.

Come to think of it, I can get head on shrimp at my seafood shop, and I have never sucked a shrimp head. Some say it is great, and I'm certainly willing to try it. I often cook a shellfish dish for only myself while my husband sticks to the shop-fried fin fish. This is starting to sound like a perfect opportunity to cook some shrimp in the shell with heads on in a sauced dish. It would be something I enjoy, but my husband would be completely turned off. I'm always up for a visceral eating experience, and find it weird that people pick up bone in chicken or sauced ribs and have such a hard time with the concept of sauced shrimp in the shell.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <