• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)

mgaretz

Chicken soup.

DSCN0655c_600.jpg

The last part of the decant from a new batch of chicken stock; plus some retrieved skin & meat, and chopped scallions & some Maldon salt.

Stir-fried beef & bittergourd. White rice.

DSCN0664b_600.jpg

Sliced brisket marinated w/ Shaohsing wine plus some salt, oil, corn starch. Stir-fried w/ garlic & rice bran oil, and sliced cored/de-seeded young bittergourd. Some sugar. Water. 

• Like 13

13 hours ago, Auro said:

Today is father's day in Brasil. We had a special family meal

IMG_20160814_181936.jpg

I made shrimp conchiglioni, with tomato sauce. 
Unfortunaly is winter in Brazil and the tomatoes are a little green. So I used italians pomodoro pelati and tomato sauce with the natural tomatoes.

Conchiglioni is hard to fit on plate, so I used zuchinni rings under then .

IMG_20160814_182231.jpg

A good Olive Oil and cooked shrimps

IMG_20160814_182352.jpg

Filling conchiglioni with tomato sauce, requeijão a brazilian cream cheese and shrimp

IMG_20160814_101309134.jpg

Ready for oven with mozzarella

IMG_20160814_110236510.jpg

Happy Father's Day!  This looks SO good.  If I can find some pasta shells like that, I want to make this. 

• Like 4

Pizza night.

For this, the crust was brushed first with garlic oil and then with pesto, Topped with sliced artichoke hearts (pretty much invisible under the cheese and tomato), sliced tomatoes, mozzarella and basil.

DSC01523.jpg

A second pie with tomato sauce, sausage, sliced yellow pepper and onions and mozzarella..

DSC01524.jpg

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 23

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

The annual Hatch chile roast is going on for two weeks at our local Mexican market.  The aroma of those roasting chiles is amazing.  They roast them in a huge, rotating metal basket fired by 6 propane blasters.  I'm pretty tame with chiles, so I bought a bag of the "medium."  (They were also roasting hot, extra hot, and an even hotter strain of Hatch chiles).

Simple grilled T-bone steak with fire-roasted hatch chiles in olive oil with some salt and pepper-

IMG_1039.JPG

• Like 19

So John is supposedly due home about 7 pm.  I have no idea if he has any food leftover that he went up with or bought.  I don't care.  It is almost at a human temperature around here so off to create something:

rice noodles are soaking

shrimp to saute

squash - both yellow and green

last of the snow peas to steam

scallions to chop

mix it all together with a sauce of some sort for dinner.

In the meantime I need something to eat so I have chicken breast to shred and make into a chicken salad with some minced red onion, replumped dried cranberries, chopped pecans and some mayo along with a hint of celery salt then into a tortilla.

• Like 8

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpeg

Shrimp, roasted artichoke bottoms over zoodles. 

• Like 20

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We were under the usual heat advisory until 8 PM today with heat indices in the 105 to 110 F (40.5 to 43 C). Today I felt like making a no-cook, mostly cold dinner, so that's what happened. Cold oven-fried chicken thighs, Healthy Multi-Grains toast with butter, little cherry tomatoes picked 30 minutes earlier, Thompson and black muscadine grapes and this Avocado Cumcumber Salad. Thanks @cyalexa!

I had everything for the salad except fresh cilantro, parsley or tarragon, but it was excellent without it. The tomatoes came from my kind neighbor 2 houses down, and the cucumber was another portion of the monster my brother brought me from his garden. It's 9:25 PM here and still 86 F/30 C. But on the upside, I had so few dishes tonight I was able to pop the grease trap screen thingie from the ventilator hood over the top of the stove into the dishwasher.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

Warm summer days and sometimes we want simple meals. Also, had to use up farm eggs and CSA farm box produce (peppers, cukes, tomatoes, onion, pattypan squash, basil). So, last night's dinner was an easy baked frittata with squash, garlic, parmesan cheese and basil. And a Greek salad on the side. 

IMGP6161.JPG

IMGP6165.JPG

IMGP6179.JPG

• Like 22

Forgot to take a picture.  Grilled lamb chops, eggplant, and mushrooms.  Plus roasted potatoes in the CSO.  Also made the classic green beans, onions, garlic and tomatoes.  Never made this dish before.  It is delicious made with all veggies from the garden.  What took me so long.  You can keep the beans a little firm or make them soft....I made them soft.  I also used some frozen caramelized onions that I had made a few months ago.  This was great because I was in a hurry and would not have caramelized them properly.  I am going to make some more now that onions are fresh.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Warm summer days and sometimes we want simple meals. Also, had to use up farm eggs and CSA farm box produce (peppers, cukes, tomatoes, onion, pattypan squash, basil). So, last night's dinner was an easy baked frittata with squash, garlic, parmesan cheese and basil. And a Greek salad on the side. 

IMGP6161.JPG

IMGP6165.JPG

IMGP6179.JPG

So delicious I'm going to make this for dinner this week.  We're hot in Eastern Washington right now, (though not as suffering hot as some parts of the country), and this just looks perfect for this time of year.

• Like 3

Meatballs with baharat spice mix (all-spice, cumin, cinnamon, black pepper), garlic - pan fried and then pouched(typo) poached in a buttermilk + rich yogurt sauce with a touch of fenugreek, chili and cumin + cilantro.

20160729_204338.jpg20160729_204435.jpg

Penne with okra, browned onion, garlic, sumac, sesame, sirene cheese, parsley.

20160730_135045.jpg

This is my meatball-free serving.
I left the grated cheese on the counter, and so it melted into those strange looking blobs.

Simple tomato-cucumber-onion with tahini sauce on the side.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 18

~ Shai N.

Soup.

DSCN0668b_600.jpg

Chicken stock, water, yellow & red carrots, bittergourd, rehydrated snow fungus. Scallions.

Mei fun w/ stuff.

DSCN0674b_600.jpg

Hot oil, garlic, sliced pre-prepped winter-type bamboo shoots, a can of curry Cha'i-Pow-Yü (this one)(back view), firm tofu chunks, seasoning adjusted. Scallions.

Plus quick-pickle cucumbers.

DSCN0676a_500.jpg

Sliced Persian cucumbers salted for a little while, rinsed & drained, then pickled w/ aged rice vinegar, hon-mirin, sugar, sea salt, scallions, toasted sesame seeds.

Edited by huiray
Removed extraneous photo & edited links (log)
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, shain said:

Meatballs with baharat spice mix (all-spice, cumin, cinnamon, black pepper), garlic - pan fried and then pouched in a a buttermilk + rich yogurt sauce with a touch of fenugreek, chilli and cumin + cilantro.

20160729_204338.jpg20160729_204435.jpg

Penne with okra, browned onion, garlic, sumac, sesame, sirene cheese, parsley.

20160730_135045.jpg

This is my meatball-free serving.
I left the grated cheese on the counter, and so it melted into those strange looking blobs.

Simple tomato-cucumber-onion with tahini sauce on the side.

Your Baharat mix is quite different from the one I have used.  It is out of The Complete Middle East Cookbook by Tess Mallos in the Gulf States section.  This mix has 1/2 c black pepper, 1/4 c coriander seeds, 1/4 cu cassia bark, 1/4 c cloves, 1/3 c cumin seeds, 2 teaspoons cardamom seeds, 4 whole nutmegs and 1/2 cup paprika.  Can you comment on this?  Your meal looks fantastic.  Was it lamb in the meatballs?

• Like 4

@shain

Wow those meatballs look incredibly good.  Can you tell me what you mean by "pouched"?   I would not sneer at a detailed recipe for the meatballs and the sauce.:D

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Wow those meatballs look incredibly good.  Can you tell me what you mean by "pouched"?

I'm guessing that it's a typo and was meant to read "poached."  :)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I'm guessing that it's a typo and was meant to read "poached."  :)

Usually I'm smart enough to figure that out. Forgot to put my brain in gear this time I guess. Thank you.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog