• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)

mgaretz

20 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Lots of iced tea...at 9 pm cheddar bacon burger with a nice slice of Jersey tomato and some kettlecorn for dessert.

Great sounding cheeseburger, suzi!

I had never had and did not know what kettle corn was until someone mentioned it on here (maybe you?). I had to make this salty/sweet delicacy, and I wound up making this version. It results in a messy to clean pan, but worth it for the results.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

El Pollo Loco style chicken again.  This is a shot of the thighs, the breasts needed a bit longer.  Served with a mix of sweet potato and regular fries made in my new toy - a Philips air fryer - and salad.

epl4.jpg

• Like 17

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Our neighbour has been catching lots of salmon lately and lucky for us, he's willing to share! The latest was a silver Spring (ivory Chinook or King) that we had for dinner along with some stir-fried sugar peas, sweet red peppers and water chestnuts. We ate it before I had a chance to take a picture, but here are some of the leftovers. I love the nearly white flesh of the silver or ivory salmon. I cooked it with a light teriyaki-type glaze in the Cuisinart Steam Oven. The cat got a bit while I was packaging the left-overs, he goes mad for this kind of salmon. 

For more info: 
Is that White Salmon?

IMGP6147.JPG

IMGP6156.JPG

• Like 16

image.jpeg

it's probably dinner by now although I had planned it for lunch. But it is 4 pm so dinner it is.  I was recently a guest in a place where if a fresh vegetable had ever found its way into the kitchen it would've been cornered, hacked to death and very quickly shovelled into the nearest dumpster. So you will have to take my word for it but in this bowl which I just put together are sauteed zucchini planks, corn, broccoli, beets and sweet potato. And for dessert I will have a sliced fresh tomato from my daughter's garden.  I probably will not be able to finish it all tonight but any remains will make a fine breakfast tomorrow and I might finally quell my hunger for some vegetables. :D

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

36 minutes ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

it's probably dinner by now although I had planned it for lunch. But it is 4 pm so dinner it is.  I was recently a guest in a place where if a fresh vegetable had ever found its way into the kitchen it would've been cornered, hacked to death and very quickly shovelled into the nearest dumpster. So you will have to take my word for it but in this bowl which I just put together are sauteed zucchini planks, corn, broccoli, beets and sweet potato. And for dessert I will have a sliced fresh tomato from my daughter's garden.  I probably will not be able to finish it all tonight but any remains will make a fine breakfast tomorrow and I might finally quell my hunger for some vegetables. :D

Looks delicious.

I don't want you going back to that anti-vegetable establishment ever again, you hear me?

:wub:

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@JoNorvelleWalker,

Well your dish looked quite pretty. As did the homemade baguette you showed earlier somewhere on here. Herbs were basil and/or parsley? 

Fresh basil (for which I made a special trip to the store) and, lacking marjoram, a bit dried oregano.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

32 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

those calamari look as good as any Ive seen or eaten  

Ill have to loo into seeing how hard it is for me to get fresh

do you think they would be OK if made from frozen ?

They do, indeed look wonderful to me. Lightly breaded, with my most coveted part, the tentacles! Not to rub it in or anything :) but I have access to fresh squid at my nearby fish monger. That one is my "to make" list along with head-on shrimp next time my husband gets a craving for their shop-fried fin fish.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

those calamari look as good as any Ive seen or eaten  

Ill have to loo into seeing how hard it is for me to get fresh

do you think they would be OK if made from frozen ?

rotuts,

Fresh squid holds up well when frozen, as long as it is treated well. I would not hesitate to use frozen, but think there must be fresh squid sold somewhere near you.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

They do, indeed look wonderful to me. Lightly breaded, with my most coveted part, the tentacles! Not to rub it in or anything :) but I have access to fresh squid at my nearby fish monger. That one is my "to make" list along with head-on shrimp next time my husband gets a craving for their shop-fried fin fish.

TftC,

The tentacles are my favorite part as well. Given the choice, I like to find the smaller squid. These were day boat fresh, but on the larger side. Still, hard to resist at $2.99 pp.

HC

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ribs, tater salad, brussels sprouts and Silver Queen

How did you prepare the ribs, Shelby? Looks delicious! 

Edited to add: Just looked at the Instant Pot thread and see you probably pressure-cooked them! :)

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

How did you prepare the ribs, Shelby? Looks delicious! 

Edited to add: Just looked at the Instant Pot thread and see you probably pressure-cooked them! :)

Lol, yes.  I had some frozen that Ronnie smoked for a bit.  Thawed them out.  Put them in IP with a cup of water (ribs on the rack so they are not sitting in the water).  High pressure for 50 mins.  Then on to a tray and into the Breville for a broil with BBQ sauce.  The CSO was busy cooking the corn :) .

• Like 4