• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)

mgaretz

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

This phrase has stuck in my head.

Inquiring minds etc...

Now that I think about it, a couple of weeks might have been plenty.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Sorry!!  I had to do it!!  and post it

Beer Can Cabbage

Head of red Cabbage/ in a beer butt chicken holder--used the inside cut for a spicy mustard slaw

28834466645_8bed45cb25_k.jpg

Cooked on my flat/  I basted it with a chicken stock ( original recipe was BBq sauce )  I dont think it does anything cus outside charrs

The can is  filled with Ultra beer  ( my wifes choice--I added butter too )

28834472485_34dcf2a584_k.jpg

The cooked cabbage!!  Outside layers create a nice char.. once you peel the outer leafs )

28834482045_765781af65_k.jpg

Side service!!

28219748533_404e982756_k.jpg

Pretty good..would do again!!  Cooked about an hour at 400 degrees

• Like 10

Its good to have Morels

We are seeing a lot of cucumber and tomato salad lately on eG. Since my brother brought me a giant cucumber and my neighbor brought over some of his garden tomatoes, that was what for dinner here too. I was surprised that the cucumber was still good, because it was as long as my forearm. I tasted it, and it wasn't even necessary to peel or deseed it. I had forgotten how good home grown cukes and tomatoes can be. I dressed it with lemon tahini dressing.

We also had a broiled pork butt steak with rosemary, maduros, microwave baked sweet potato, and angel hair pasta with a creamy herb sauce.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

Grilled shrimp, another tomato and cuke salad (all from the garden - we ate them before I thought to post on the gardening thread) and what the recipe calls a "summer tart" - pie shell filled with a goat cheese, sour cream, cream and egg custard which is baked then topped with sautéed vegetables - in this case zucchini, corn, red bell pepper, onions and garlic. I'll do this again later in the season topped with roasted beets, carrots and sweet potato.

DSC01508.jpg

Here is the entire tart before it was cut:

DSC01505.jpg

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 14

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

@Shelby - It is all beaten together - 5 oz. of goat cheese, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup cream, 3 eggs, salt and a pinch cayenne. Pour it into a baked pie shell and bake about 20 minutes at 375. While it is baking, sauté a bunch of veggies and spread them on top. I think I like the beets/carrots/ sweet potato best. I've also done it with sautéed tomatoes, onions, peppers and corn. I have never cooked with okra but I bet you might be able to work that in somehow. :P

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ElainaA said:

@Shelby - It is all beaten together - 5 oz. of goat cheese, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup cream, 3 eggs, salt and a pinch cayenne. Pour it into a baked pie shell and bake about 20 minutes at 375. While it is baking, sauté a bunch of veggies and spread them on top. I think I like the beets/carrots/ sweet potato best. I've also done it with sautéed tomatoes, onions, peppers and corn. I have never cooked with okra but I bet you might be able to work that in somehow. :P

Thank you!  This is definitely going in the line up for dinner.  I've never thought about doing the veggies on top.  

• Like 2

Ah, dinner was supposed to have been Mountain Magic tomatoes of which I currently am enjoying an embarrassment.

However the fruits were not as ripe as I would like, so I switched to a lorn Pink Lady apple I found in the refrigerator.  A few weeks ago I had purchased two organic pink ladies -- at the same time, both from the same bin.  The first of which was sad and mealy.  Strangely this one was quite acceptable.

Tonight a dear coworker was waxing on and on about the cava she recently enjoyed in Barcelona.  I of course have methode rotuts.  Exceptional both in quality and quantity.

• Like 4

image.jpeg

grain bowl with rapini, blistered grape tomatoes and the last of the pork belly. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Curry

dinner.jpg

Beef curry. Green chilli, garlic, onion, ginger, beef, bottled curry paste from India, coriander leaf/cilantro.

Okra, tomato, garlic, "white" chilli, scallion.

Served with rice and home made yoghurt.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

First of the 2016 season

BLT

San Fran sour dough bread, Dukes Mayo, Purple Cherokee, apple smoked bacon

28814119581_6377dfa8a3_k.jpg

Love that little bit of mayo dripping out!

• Like 3

Tong Ho (茼蒿) in chicken stock/broth.

DSCN0583b_600.jpg

Rice congee with stuff.

On the way there...

DSCN0580a_600.jpg

Ginger, garlic, scallions, Tianjin Preserved Vegetable (天津冬菜; "tung choy"; Jyutping tin1 zeon1 dung1 coi3), "shredded pickled radish"/pickled mustard stem (榨菜; "char choy"; Jyutping zaa3 coi3).

The congee was made with the ginger & garlic sautéed in oil, water added, most of the tung choy, all of the packet of char choy, long grain rice; and seasoning adjusted.

A bowl of the congee w/ a couple of raw eggs [Royer & Riehl Family Farms], some tung choy, chopped scallions. and white pepper.

DSCN0588b_600.jpg

The eggs are broken up and folded into the hot congee with the other toppings.

More of the congee re-simmered w/ oiled dried beancurd sheets (腐竹; "fu chook" (in the sheet form; like this one); Jyutping fu6 zuk1) for a bit, seasoning adjusted, then fresh wild-caught cod slices folded in gently right at the end and the heat shut off. Bowled, topped w/ chopped scallions, deep-fried shallots/"red onions".

DSCN0595c_600.jpg

Edited by huiray
modified hyperlinks for char choy & tung choy (log)
  • Like 13

image.jpeg

Another "bowl" meal. The base is sweet potato dice and it is dressed with a kimchi sesame dressing. 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Perhaps my finest meal prepared in the Cuisinart Steam Oven to date.  Roast potatoes and chicken thigh steam baked at 425 deg F. for thirty minutes.  Thirty second green beans prepared in my 6 liter Fissler.  Unlike the last time the potatoes were next to the chicken, not underneath the chicken.  It makes a big difference.

• Like 6

I made a new salad recipe last night.   I really liked it...Ronnie can live without it lol.  He doesn't care very much for pesto (yeah, weird, I know).  I charred Silver Queen corn on the cob and then cut it off.  It needed more cherry tomatoes, but these were all I had.  I added some diced red onion.  Would be good with some artichoke hearts and some chicken breast, too.

photo 1.JPG

Eaten with a fish sandwich topped with vinegary cole slaw.  I made fries, too, but ya'll know what those look like lol.

photo 2.JPG

• Like 17

Risotto with leeks ( the first from this year's garden!) and peas (not from the garden - the garden peas are long over - sigh.) with grilled calamari. And probably the first and last completely garden salad - the very last of the lettuce with the first of the tomatoes plus fennel, cucumbers and green pepper.

DSC01516.jpg

DSC01518.jpg

• Like 14