Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Caramel Tools: Rulers, Cutters & Transfer Sheets

Confections

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#31 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:03 PM

. . .

If you are willing to go with aluminum you could outfit yourself quite cheaply.

View Post

The problem I see with aluminum (and I have used it!) is that it tends to shift when you pour in something as heavy as caramel. You might want to consider paying the extra for the heavier stainless.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#32 SugarGirl

SugarGirl
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:58 PM

Thanks so much for the link to onlinemetals.com, David! I just ordered a few sets of stainless steel bars. Can't wait to get them!

Edited by SugarGirl, 16 March 2007 - 12:00 AM.

#33 tammylc

tammylc
  • participating member
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:44 AM

. . .

If you are willing to go with aluminum you could outfit yourself quite cheaply.

View Post

The problem I see with aluminum (and I have used it!) is that it tends to shift when you pour in something as heavy as caramel. You might want to consider paying the extra for the heavier stainless.

View Post

You said it shifts with caramel - have you used for ganache, and did that work okay? I'm thinking I could get some of the more inexpensive aluminum ones for ganache frames, where I want a variety of depths, and one set of stainless steel to use for caramel, etc.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

#34 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:35 AM

. . .

You said it shifts with caramel - have you used for ganache, and did that work okay?  I'm thinking I could get some of the more inexpensive aluminum ones for ganache frames, where I want a variety of depths, and one set of stainless steel to use for caramel, etc.

View Post

I have never tried with ganache. I have braced the aluminum bars with heavy brass weights but that is a bit of a pain and takes up more space than I would like.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#35 tammylc

tammylc
  • participating member
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:39 AM

I'm happy to report that Aluminum 6061 bars work great for ganache! I put them on a Silpat to create some friction, and had no problems at all.

I called up my local metal supplier yesterday, and they had 3/8 inch by 3/4 inch bars in stock. The cheapest way to buy it was in a 12 foot length, then I paid them to cut it up. Because you have to allow 1/4 inch for cuts, I asked for 12 11-inch bars, which should have left me with 9 inches extra. Well, somehow I ended up with 13 bars, one of which is longer than the others. But that's okay, because that one acted as a good scraper for leveling off the top. Once the bars are put together I get about a 10 inch by 10 inch opening, which is plenty big for me.

Total cost, $38 for enough bars for three frames.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

#36 Tweety69bird

Tweety69bird
  • participating member
  • 462 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:45 AM

I'm happy to report that Aluminum 6061 bars work great for ganache!  I put them on a Silpat to create some friction, and had no problems at all.

I called up my local metal supplier yesterday, and they had 3/8 inch by 3/4 inch bars in stock.  The cheapest way to buy it was in a 12 foot length, then I paid them to cut it up.  Because you have to allow 1/4 inch for cuts, I asked for 12 11-inch bars, which should have left me with 9 inches extra.  Well, somehow I ended up with 13 bars, one of which is longer than the others.  But that's okay, because that one acted as a good scraper for leveling off the top.  Once the bars are put together I get about a 10 inch by 10 inch opening, which is plenty big for me.

Total cost, $38 for enough bars for three frames.

View Post

Thanks for reporting back Tammy, it sounds like a great deal compared to the $100 or so I spent on the 4 bars of 1 x 5/8 x 22 that I bought from ChefRubber.
Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

#37 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:51 AM

i love chefrubber, but i feel a bit trapped when ordering from them...

1) they have items i can't always get somewhere else
2) they tend to be a bit more expensive than other places
3) they charge a $5 'handling fee' for every order
4) their shipping charges are a bit high

can anyone else say 'hostage'?

#38 tammylc

tammylc
  • participating member
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:52 AM

View Post

My other problem (not with Chef Rubber in particular) is that no one store has everything that I want. So I end up having to order things from 3 or 4 places and pay shipping for all of them. That gets frustrating. Tomric is the only place that carries chocolate cutters. Chef Rubber has the best selection of colored cocoa butters. DR has cool molds and cheap transfer sheets. Etc.

I want one-stop shopping! :raz:

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

#39 sote23

sote23
  • participating member
  • 506 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

View Post

My other problem (not with Chef Rubber in particular) is that no one store has everything that I want. So I end up having to order things from 3 or 4 places and pay shipping for all of them. That gets frustrating. Tomric is the only place that carries chocolate cutters. Chef Rubber has the best selection of colored cocoa butters. DR has cool molds and cheap transfer sheets. Etc.

I want one-stop shopping! :raz:

View Post

i hear ya. I have to do the same thing. something from one place, something from another etc. lol lol

Luis

#40 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

I just ordered some metal bars from onlinemetals.com

Very fast service and from what I can tell, very reasonable prices. While I think the aluminum bars are fine (and MUCH cheaper), I really like the weight of the stainless steel bars better. I bought 0.375" (3/8") square bars in both aluminum and stainless to compare.

0.375" Stainless steel annealed square at 16" long = 13.60USD
0.375" Aluminum 6061 T6 bare square at 16" long = 2.24USD

So you can see the difference in price.

Shipping was +/- $10.00

Still a lot cheaper than buying from chefrubber, I think.

#41 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:58 PM

Alana , thank you for reporting your purchase :raz:
I will go an check them out, since I am looking for a frame as well.I have ordered an alluminum frame from Tomric but is way to big for my actual prodution ( 15 by 15 ) darn inches always trick me :laugh:
Vanessa

#42 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:21 PM

I went to the site and check it out, you can make custom cut , wich is nice.

Edited by Desiderio, 05 April 2007 - 07:28 PM.

Vanessa

#43 tammylc

tammylc
  • participating member
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:55 AM

I just ordered some metal bars from onlinemetals.com

Very fast service and from what I can tell, very reasonable prices.  While I think the aluminum bars are fine (and MUCH cheaper), I really like the weight of the stainless steel bars better.  I bought 0.375" (3/8") square bars in both aluminum and stainless to compare.

View Post

In order to give some extra weight to the aluminum bars, I went with a rectangular rather than square cross section - 3/8 by 3/4. Many of the commercial caramel rulers have a rectangular cross section as well, so this isn't unusual.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

#44 tammylc

tammylc
  • participating member
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:58 AM

Alana , thank you for reporting your purchase  :raz:
I will go an check them out, since I am looking for a frame as well.I have ordered an alluminum frame from Tomric but is way to big for my actual prodution ( 15 by 15 ) darn inches always trick me :laugh:

View Post

That's the best thing about the bars, Vanessa - the size is totally variable. And you can adjust it on the fly if you discover that you made your opening too large. Just nudge the bars over a little bit until you get the size you need.

They've made my life so much easier, I can't believe I went so long without using them!

I think I'm going to make some caramel this weekend, so I'll have a chance to see how well the aluminum bars will work for that. (Although I think my 3/8 inch height will probably be too short.)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

#45 Rhubarb

Rhubarb
  • participating member
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:44 PM

Wrapping caramels is definitely a drag, but cutting them is no picnic either. It seems like I was seeing these rolling cutters on all my regular sites a few months ago, but now that I've decided I need one...they turn out to be scarce. Anyone recommend a source? Thanks!

#46 Ke Kau

Ke Kau
  • participating member
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:36 AM

Check out Savage Bros. I got mine from them. It's a nice, heavy cutter with super sharp stainless steel blades. I believe it was around $550 standard. They will customize one for you as well.

#47 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:23 AM

Check out Savage Bros.  I got mine from them. It's a nice, heavy cutter with super sharp stainless steel blades.  I believe it was around $550 standard.  They will customize one for you as well.

View Post

You can get 1 at Pastry Chef for $249.
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#48 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 554 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

I've been looking for 1/4" caramel rulers but cannot seem to find them from any of my usual sources. I've found 3/16" and 3/8" but not 1/4". Does anyone have a source?

Steve Lebowitz
umctg@yahoo.com
Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things
Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#49 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

Got mine cut at The Metal Supermarket.

#50 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

Steve - Welcome to the forum! With a request that specific, we expect some great posts from you :wink:

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#51 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:23 AM

Hi Steve!
I got mine from Belgium at chocolateworld: www.chocolateworld.be
Lior

#52 pupkinpie2

pupkinpie2
  • participating member
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:33 AM

Pastry Chef Central has a set of caramel rulers, but it will set you back $300 (www.pastrychef.com).

You can also buy them from a metal company. This web site has square stainless steel in various lengths for a great price. (http://www.metalsdep...imAcc= &aident=).

#53 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 554 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm going to investigate several of them in more detail.
Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things
Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#54 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:54 PM

Pastry Chef Central has a set of caramel rulers, but it will set you back $300 (www.pastrychef.com).

You can also buy them from a metal company.  This web site has square stainless steel in various lengths for a great price.  (http://www.metalsdep...imAcc= &aident=).

View Post

I think pastry chef central is probably the better deal.
I just used metal depots calculator for 2 stainless steel rods at 1 & 1/2 inches X 1ft and it came to 172.$ :unsure: and some change
2317/5000

#55 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:17 AM

You can also buy them from a metal company.  This web site has square stainless steel in various lengths for a great price.  (http://www.metalsdep...imAcc= &aident=).

View Post

I think pastry chef central is probably the better deal.
I just used metal depots calculator for 2 stainless steel rods at 1 & 1/2 inches X 1ft and it came to 172.$ :unsure: and some change

View Post

If you are willing to use aluminum, I got a 1/4" x 3/4" bar at Lowes & cut my own.
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#56 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:11 AM

What did you cap the ends with?
2317/5000

#57 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:45 AM

What did you cap the ends with?

View Post

I didn't, just took off the burr. They are solid bars.
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#58 Max12

Max12
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:22 PM

Using a multiblade cutter for caramel I do fine with the first cut, but when I make the second cut at 90º to the first the carmel gets smooshed and the squares are not square.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening?

#59 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:46 AM

Using a multiblade cutter for caramel I do fine with the first cut, but when I make the second cut at 90º to the first the carmel gets smooshed and the squares are not square.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening?

View Post

Welcome to eG Max!

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but I'm also very interested in the answer. I've been considering buying something to cut caramels and the multiblade cutters interest me. But I don't want to spend all that money if I can't get a satisfactory result and I can only cut in one direction with the cutter then have to use a knife for the other cut.

I know mrose has one of these cutters and might be able to answer the question, but I'm not sure if he uses it for caramel.

#60 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:27 AM

I have one of these cutters, but I am amazed that you can actually use it to cut all the way through caramel. You would have to be well above the caramel & press down extremely hard to get it to cut. The slabs I have been making are about 3/4" thick. How thick is your caramel? I use it mostly for marking the caramel for a consistent size. I then come back & cut it with a chefs knife. It is easier. I would like to do the cutting with this cutter. I would be interested in your technique.

Since you can make the first cut, you would probaly need something or someone to hold the rows of caramel together so it is a slab as before first cut. Make a pass to mark your line. Then try starting to cut outward from the center making the groove deeper until you are through.

Even in Greweling's book (page 189), it looks like he is using it portion out the slab of caramel. If you look at the picture on page 208, the caramels are square but the edges are a bit rounded

Let us know if you can get it to work & the technique you are using.
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections