I found myself in Oakland last month. Amongst other good dining experiences, I was lucky enough to be shown District
early in my week, and to be staying within walking distance (it's on 9th, a block west of Broadway). The staff told me it's only been open a couple of months, and it's a branch of the original District in SF (near the ballpark ?). It's a big space with a horseshoe bar, and sofa seating round the rest of the room, nice for just drinks or for some relaxed eating.
I thought the it really worth writing up here on eG (and this looks like the most active Oakland thread !). I brought back a copy of their menu, wondering if it'd be OK to post it up - to find they have it on their own web site already -
Stand-outs for me -
- the Moroccan spiced lamb meatballs are excellent, the flavours very well balanced
- the cheeses - a wonderful selection - are in great condition and served exactly right
- the wild mushroom pizza ('pizzetta'), perfectly cooked and with a beautifully-judged hint of rosemary in the crust
- the all-available-by-the-glass wine list. (The Unti Zinfandel especially kept me coming back)
- lastly, the Point Reyes oysters are superb, and you don't have to queue in the sun for more than half an hour like you do at Point Reyes, on the weekend ! $1 oyster happy hour ?!
The charcuterie is perfectly good - only the "rillettes" are a smooth, unctuous mousse, not unctuously fibrous as I expected, and the pate de campagne veers more toward jellied and block-like and away from fat and crumbly than I'm used to.
Overall, I was disappointed only that I didn't have the opportunity to eat my way through the whole menu.