Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Tonights menu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 snowangel

snowangel
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 04:54 PM

In our household, tonights menu will be pizza (lukewarm, I'm sure) and hot dogs at the elementary school fundraiser. It's for a good cause.

What's on your menu tonight, and how did you decide what to do with what you had?

Further to this, let's say something doesn't sell as well as you want. What do you do with it?

Finally, I'm not sure how long your week lasts, Chef, and want to thank you ever so much for continuing the tradition of fabulous Q & A's. Thanks for expanding my horizon.
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#2 Richard Hamilton

Richard Hamilton
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 07:01 PM

In our household, tonights menu will be pizza (lukewarm, I'm sure) and hot dogs at the elementary school fundraiser.  It's for a good cause.

What's on your menu tonight, and how did you decide what to do with what you had?

Further to this, let's say something doesn't sell as well as you want.  What do you do with it?

Finally, I'm not sure how long your week lasts, Chef, and want to thank you ever so much for continuing the tradition of fabulous Q & A's.  Thanks for expanding my horizon.

View Post

Well first, mymneu is large. Let me see if I can post it here

PACIFIC SUN FISH
ON ASIAN VEGETABLES WITH GINGER-MUSHROOM CONSOMMÉ AND CRISPY GARLIC
OR
PUMPKIN VELOUTE
WITH PINE MUSHROOMS, POACHED QUAIL EGG, ZUCCHINI PUREE AND BROWNED BUTTER
OR
SNAKE RIVER FARMS KOBE HANGAR STEAK
WITH FINGERLING POTATO SALAD, SWEET SLAW AND BARBECUE VINAIGRETTE
OR
KUROBOUTA PORK TENDERLOIN
WITH OKINAWA SWEET POTATO, GRILLED MIXED ONIONS, APPLE JELLY AND BRAISED APPLES
OR
MAINE LOBSTER
SOUS VIDE, MELTED SAVOY CABBAGE, SALSIFY AND SERRANO HAM VINAIGRETTE

LOCAL TAUTAUG
GRILLED ON MIXED SQUASHES WITH TINY TOMATO CONFIT AND FRESH RADISHES
OR
BAGADEUCE RIVER OYSTER
CHOWDER WITH BACON, FENNEL, GREENS AND OTHERS
OR
ORGANIC RABBIT LOIN
ON BLACK EYED PEAS WITH RABBIT CONFIT RAGOUT, FALL PLUMS AND GARLIC-HOISEN SAUCE
OR
FOIE GRAS
ON SEPTEMBER PEACHES POACHED IN ICE WINE, VANILLA AND SPICES WITH PICKLED MUSHROOMS
OR
FOUR STORY HILLS SQUAB
ROTISSERIE ON MUSHROOM TART WITH BABY LEEKS, TOMATOES AND CHINESE SPICY ORANGE SAUCE
“CALOTTE” OF SNAKE RIVER FARMS KOBE
WITH BRAISED PEARL ONIONS, NUGGET POTATOES, CHANTERELLES AND BORDELAISE SAUCE
OR
NEW YORK PHEASANT
WITH MUSHROOM DUXELLE, GLAZED CHIPPOLI ONIONS AND PICKLED HUCKLEBERRY JUS
OR
ELYSIAN FIELDS LAMB LOIN
ON CASSOLETTE WITH SHAVED TRUFFLES AND TRUFFLE JUS
OR
WALLEYE PIKE
ON PAD THAI NOODLES WITH CRAB SPRING ROLL AND SWEET THAI SAUCE
OR
HAWAIIAN AHI TUNA
SERVED RARE ON GREEN LENTILS AND SHAVED VEGETABLES WITH FOIE GRAS AND MADEIRA REDUCTION
CHEESE COURSE

ENGLISH STILTON
WITH PRUNES, WALNUTS AND PORT
OR
EPOISSES
WITH ORGANIC BEETS, TRUFFLE VINAIGRETTE AND BRIOCHE

does this help? we also do a 8 course tasting and a 12 course chefs table

Also when something doesnt sell, I redo the menu the next day anyway so I just change the preperation or set for it.

It has been my pleasure to be here. Thank you alot, all of you for being so kind with the questions. All the best

Edited by Richard Hamilton, 29 October 2004 - 07:02 PM.

#3 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 07:58 PM

Wow. It's making that cheap, supermarket hot dog sound all the worse. I'm drooling over the hangar and the oyster chowder.

The walleye sort of got me. From whence the walleye? I don't believe it is native to your area, but I could be wrong. The only walleye we will eat is that we catch up at our Cabin (or close environs). We sort of have a thing about wild game :shock: .

#4 Richard Hamilton

Richard Hamilton
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 07:10 AM

Wow.  It's making that cheap, supermarket hot dog sound all the worse.  I'm drooling over the hangar and the oyster chowder.

The walleye sort of got me.  From whence the walleye?  I don't believe it is native to your area, but I could be wrong.  The only walleye we will eat is that we catch up at our Cabin (or close environs).  We sort of have a thing about wild game  :shock: .

View Post

Walleye comes form the great lakes of Michigan and up around canada. we have a hotel up there. I go and fish in that area and fell in love with this fish. Its great this time of year.

#5 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 09:48 PM

We have our best luck fishing walleyes with worm harnesses. You? Glad you fish. Does your son like to fish?

Assuming that you catch walleye and cook them for your family, what is your method?

#6 Richard Hamilton

Richard Hamilton
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 07:28 AM

We have our best luck fishing walleyes with worm harnesses.  You?  Glad you fish.  Does your son like to fish?

Assuming that you catch walleye and cook them for your family, what is your method?

View Post

We both fish together. He likes to fish except when it cold.

we also use worms but live mainly and we also have used stink bait.

As far as prep, he likes his with cornmeal and i like mine sauteed till crisp, because i like the skin very crisp. He likes tartare sauce and I like just a bit of lemon or even a mixture of soy wassabi