Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

I hate slice and bake cookies! Any hints for avoiding fissures in the logs of dough?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

Whenever I make slice and bake cookies (from scratch), I always have the same issue - when rolling up the logs, there is always a fissure that runs through the middle.  I can't seem to manage to get a solid log.  Then, when I slice them, the cookies have a ragged hole in the middle.  I have to squeeze each one to mash it back together and end up just wishing that I'd just scooped and flattened them.  Does anyone have any techniques that will help me avoid this problem?  Thank you!

#2 Fernwood

Fernwood
  • participating member
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

I've had this problem.  I think there's something about the rolling of the log that traps air inside stiffer, short doughs.  With some recipes I think I get better results when I press the dough into a thick rectangle on a board, divide this into bars (square in cross section) and then pat/roll each bar a bit to smooth into a cylindrical log.  

• annabelle likes this

#3 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

How do you form the logs, starting with the portioning? I pull off a compact clump, press it into a ball, then lengthen it into a log by gently rolling it; I haven't run into the problem you describe, which may be caused by folding the dough on itself (which I don't do).

• emmalish, annabelle and Darienne like this

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#4 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 908 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

Kim, I generally don't have that issue with slice and bake cookies. When it's just a single dough, I use the same method as Mjx posted. BUT when I did the cinnamon bun cookies a few weeks ago, I started with a flat sheet and rolled it up, and I did get a couple air pockets inside.

What I'd read to do (and I think helped minimize the problem) is that after I made the dough log, I went back over it from end-to-end and squeezed it together a bit, and then rolled it back and forth on the counter to round it back out again. This essentially made the log a little longer, but I think got rid of most of the "fissures" inside.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#5 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

You could forget the log and just roll and cut. Slice and bake is supposed to be easier, not more aggravating!
  • emmalish and Kim Shook like this

#6 djyee100

djyee100
  • society donor
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

I basically do Mjx's method, and I don't have a problem with air pockets. OTOH, I've never done this with very stiff doughs, only fairly soft doughs like choc chip cookies or pecan sandies.

I spread a glop of cookie dough in a thick, rough line on a big piece of parchment paper; fold, roll, and squeeze the parchment paper over it to form a tube of dough of the right diameter. Then the whole business goes into the fridge or freezer. When I slice the cookies, I don't unroll the dough, I slice through the paper. Then I throw away those little squiggles of cut paper.

#7 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

Have you tried tightening the roll using the parchment paper and either a thin cutting board or bench scraper (or a no-sided cookie sheet if you have one)? Form the dough into a cylinder, horizontally in front of you on a sheet of parchment. Then curl the parchment over the top of the cylinder towards you (don't roll it up in the paper yet). Place the edge of the scraper or whatever you're using on top of the parchment, parallel to the cylinder but at a bit of an angle to the table, and push it into the gap where the dough cylinder comes down to the surface. Then pull the BOTTOM edge of the parchment. This will pull the parchment taut around the dough, which should form itself into a perfectly round cylinder and push out any air inside. The edge of your scraper or cutting board should hold the dough in place and keep you from whipping the paper off. Once the dough cylinder is tightened up, you can roll it up in the parchment and twist the ends. I rest my dough cylinders in the fridge or freezer in a cradle I make by slitting open a cardboard roll from paper towels, to keep the side from flattening.

Clear as mud, right?

• emmalish likes this
MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#8 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

Thanks to everyone for the help!  I did have better luck this time thanks to following the suggestions from Mjx and Melissa.  I also periodically thwacked the ends of the logs as I was rolling them to ‘contract’ them.  I only got a few holes this time when I sliced the cookies.  I’ll be posting the cookies on the Daily Sweets thread later.

• emmalish likes this