Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Taco Bell 2014

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Taco Bell announces a new breakfast sandwich:

"Taco Bell Rolls Out Waffle Taco in Breakfast War with McDonald's"

The Waffle Taco, which is a waffle wrapped around a sausage patty or bacon, with scrambled eggs and cheese and a side of syrup, is joined by the A.M. Crunchwrap -- scrambled eggs, hash browns, cheese and bacon, sausage or steak in a flour tortilla and the Bacon and Egg Burrito.

Taco Bell says breakfast will be available until 11 a.m. -- a half hour longer than McDonald's offers its Egg McMuffins.

So it sounds like the new Taco Bell breakfast item is basically a McGriddle, except the syrup is on the side, not baked into the waffle.

If you think about it, it's kind of silly that they made it look like a taco instead of a flat sandwich. But I guess it might be easier for their customer base to digest (pun intended) if it's made to look like the rest of their fare. 

Does McDonald's have anything to be concerned about with this new entry into the fast food breakfast wars?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#2 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

I think the Crunchwrap sounds good - I'll probably give that a try.  The idea of syrup and eggs touching is completely gross to me, so no waffle.  Hardees is the only decent fast food breakfast in my area.  Their biscuits are good and their sausage actually tastes like the kind I cook instead of some pre-cooked and frozen patty.  It would be nice to have an alternative to Hardees for a quick breakfast.

#3 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

I think TB is fixed on Tubular.  an article suggested that the Breakfast items were meant to be one-handed affairs, the other for coffee (sic) or texting.

its going to be hard to beet the McD  sausage/egg/cheese/muffin.  and those are cheap.  a loss leader so to speak for the FF breakfast croud.

no TB thats not a Fried Chicken combo spot near me.  ie TB/KFC are units around here.

#4 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

From the Yahoo Finance article (quoting Taco Bell President Brian Niccol )...

Taco Bell intends to be a "strong No. 2" after McDonald's.

I'm guessing he'd like a chance to reword that one.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#5 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

Yar !

:blink: