Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 5)

Cookbook Reference

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#31 agray

agray
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:50 PM

I have 50 at the moment, most recently Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at home and before that Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything (the new version). If my Christmas wish list is fulfilled, there will be a few more by the end of the year (mostly bread-related). I've started buying more now that I can write them off as a business expense since I started a cookbook related website; I just have to be careful - writing them off doesn't make them free...
www.cookbooker.com - Rate and review your cookbook recipes.
Cookbooker Challenge: July/Aug 2010 - collaboratively baking & reviewing Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home.

#32 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 876 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:54 PM

We can add one more...

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#33 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:17 PM

And another: Anita Chu. Field Guide to Canada: How to Identify and Make Virtually Every Candy Imaginable. Anita Chu aka PastryGirl. Great little book! :smile:
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#34 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 876 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

And another: Anita Chu. Field Guide to Canada: How to Identify and Make Virtually Every Candy Imaginable. Anita Chu aka PastryGirl. Great little book! :smile:

ooooh! man, I need to keep out of this thread...

wanna come with?

#35 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 876 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

ooooh! man, I need to keep out of this thread...

Okay, add one more for me. :hmmm:

wanna come with?

#36 dmreed

dmreed
  • participating member
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

I just finished cataloging most of my Asian and International cookbooks...the list may be found at:

http://dmreed.com/fo...oks-0781kb.html

the total so far is 560!

there are probably 20-40 more which I have to dig out or have not yet perused and there are more coming in the mail. I will attempt to keep the list up to date.

my next catalogging project may be the rest of my cookbooks maybe 300+.

I have notced multiple copies of several books which I will offer for sale on ebay.

the list of books will help me avoid buying the same book more than once!

View Post

I have passed the 600 Asian Cookbooks number! 609 unique book titles and 474 book cover images.

I am still trying to track down the missing book covers and as son as I have done that and then put the collection into alphabetical order, I will begin cataloging the remainder of my cookbooks.

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

#37 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:29 AM

Woo-hoo! Jessica's Biscuit finally came thru with 3 more for me (ordered them back in November, maill was misdirected, yadda yadda yadda.) Finally got them yesterday, the new green Gourmet (which comes with an offer of a year's free subscription to the magazine :shock: ), a biography of Clarissa Dickson Wright(the second of the 2 Fat Ladies), Good Eats The Early Years, and All American Dictionary of Food and Drink (I think; it was one of their Freebies) I'm set for a while, and my birthday is in April :biggrin:
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#38 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:16 PM

Add one more: Peter Greweling's latest: Chocolates and Confections.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#39 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

The accountant for this topic hasn't been keeping her end up -- my apologies! Including one for me ("Momofuko" worth it for the pickle recipes alone) that's 167,123.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#40 Shamanjoe

Shamanjoe
  • participating member
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

I know it's actually a lot, but that number seems kind of low for us..
"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

#41 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

I know it's actually a lot, but that number seems kind of low for us..

I agree. I think it's kind of like the NPR donors v listeners ratio; there are numerous active members here who've never posted their totals. I think the real total is at least five times greater.

Edited by maggiethecat, 04 January 2010 - 03:47 PM.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

#42 Shamanjoe

Shamanjoe
  • participating member
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

I wonder, Maggie, how many of those active users even know how many cookbooks they have. When you started this, I had to go count. And it took me three days to have the time to do it, and remember to actually count when I had the time to do it..
"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

#43 Shamanjoe

Shamanjoe
  • participating member
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:53 AM

Add another one Maggie! I just picked up "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart. I can't wait to start baking bread!

#44 ChrisN

ChrisN
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:42 PM

I have 88 (conservatively counting) but a few more on the way.

Chris
[size="3"]"What's more, I believe it's a cook's moral obligation to add more butter given the chance."

Michael Ruhlman, Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind Everyday Cooking

[/size]

#45 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

Counting cookbooks is a guilty pleasure: you can wallow in your thousands or take pride in your small, brilliantly curated half shelf. Go count -- and yes, food-related books and cocktail books cut it. Mags and digital files don't.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

#46 Shamanjoe

Shamanjoe
  • participating member
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

Add another one for me, Real Cajun Cooking. I can't remember the author right now (the book is at home, and i'm not) but it was beautifully photographed and the recipes looks delicious just as a list of ingredients.

#47 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 876 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:15 AM

I walked into the bookstore for something completely unrelated today and came out with 2 more cookbooks. How did that happen?

wanna come with?

#48 dmreed

dmreed
  • participating member
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:32 AM

as of 2010/01/26, my collection now includes 715+ Asian cookbooks and 278+ non-Asian cookbooks.
The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

#49 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

We have a new second-hand bookstore in the little town near us. Add two more cookbooks for me.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#50 Shamanjoe

Shamanjoe
  • participating member
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:57 PM

Two more for me, Bobby Flay's Bold American Food and Ina Garten'sBarefoot Contessa: Back to Basics.

#51 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 876 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

Three more for me...

wanna come with?

#52 dmreed

dmreed
  • participating member
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:05 PM

my current Asian cookbook collection count is 731 with a few not yet cataloged

(see http://dmreed.com/fo...-cookbooks.html)

#53 nakji

nakji
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:52 AM

I'm just back from Hong Kong with four more - I'll have to start a new shelf! The Essential of Classic Italian Cooking, Ad Hoc, Everyday Harumi, and the Taste Bible. I'm not sure how I'll keep a record of all the recipes I want to try.

#54 Bonnie Deahl

Bonnie Deahl
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:25 AM

I counted 140 this morning.. Many books I have had since the 1980's and still use those older titles for certain favorites. I have given away many titles I no longer actively use since I want my cooking library to be books I use with some regularity. I have become more descriminating about what I buy these days looking for diversity among the collection.

I like to improvise in the kitchen, but I cook from recipes all the time and follow them closely on the first go around, making notes in my books on what i like or not (so I don't go back and repeat a no go a second time.

Thanks for starting the cookbook count. Bonnie

Bonnie

'Variety is the spice of life'

#55 dmreed

dmreed
  • participating member
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:36 AM

Bonnie,

it is great that you provided a new total. because the original reason for the thread is done, the only totals will now be the actual total counts provided by each postr.

#56 Lindsey

Lindsey
  • participating member
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:06 PM

OK just in the house 127, at work (mine own) 54, shed Oh Lord will get back to you on that one.

#57 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:30 PM

Last count was 56 ...

.... Shel

#58 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:41 AM

One more: Why Italians Like to Talk About Food
Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#59 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

169,329 including one for me: the doorstop-sized "Forgotten Skills of Cooking" by Darina Allen. Now I know how to kill a chicken and build a chicken coop. Most highly recommended.

Edited by maggiethecat, 03 March 2010 - 08:04 PM.

• SylviaLovegren likes this

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

#60 mr_lucas

mr_lucas
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

200 I thought I had a problem but am feeling better knowing that I'm not alone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook, Reference