Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

"Baking Steel" - in the UK

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Speleoto

Michael Speleoto
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Hi everyone,

Saw this reviewed on Serious Eats, was interested in purchasing one for myself, but the shipping to the UK is ~$87! Does anyone know of cheap alternatives, or whether we could set up some kind of group buy to get the shipping cost below the cost of the actual product.

http://bakingsteel.com/

#2 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

All i takes is a 1/4 to 1/2 inch sheet of steel. If you can find that locally, you're good to go

#3 Matthew Grant

Matthew Grant
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0001IWYFA
"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

#4 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Cast iron has different thermal properties than steel.  Here's a comparison of a CI baking surface vs. a steel baking surface:  http://slice.serious...iron-pizza.html

#5 RobM

RobM
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

I just bought a piece of steel off eBay for £15, there's plenty of fabrication guys on there who'll happily cut you a piece to size (which allows you to choose the dimensions you want.) When it turns up, give it a really good wash and season, then you're good to go!

#6 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 460 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

Just search for local metalworking or machine shops. Give them a call and ask for a 1/4" or 1/2" thick plate of steel in your desired dimensions. I can almost guarantee it will be cheaper than the "Baking Steel." If you want it to have the nice matte finish ask them to bead blast it for you.

• Michael Speleoto likes this

#7 Michael Speleoto

Michael Speleoto
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

Just realised I never dropped in a thanks - those are great ideas and I'll be chasing them up soon. Cheers.

#8 &roid

&roid
  • participating member
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

I just bought a piece of steel off eBay for £15, there's plenty of fabrication guys on there who'll happily cut you a piece to size (which allows you to choose the dimensions you want.) When it turns up, give it a really good wash and season, then you're good to go!

Hi Rob, could you share a link to who you got this from on ebay? What, specifically did you order? How has it been since you got it?

#9 &roid

&roid
  • participating member
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:37 AM

To answer my own question, I found this place on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649

Got two (one's a present) 350mm square 12mm thick steel plates. They were pretty coated with a grubby rusty substance when they arrived but a 24 hour soak in normal vinegar got that off with no effort at all. A good wash in soapy water and an hour or so seasoning in the oven with a thin layer of oil and they were ready to go.

Made my first batch of pizza yesterday and will be posting more about it when I get the pictures sorted, suffice to say they were the best I've ever made. Couldn't be happier with the steel. Especially as each one cost just over £30 delivered, compared to over $200 for the equivalent from bakingsteel.com.

Edited by &roid, 21 September 2013 - 04:40 AM.