Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Using prime rib for kalbi (instead of flaken short rib)?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Soup

Soup
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

Hello,
I am planning making korean kalbi for new years. I've always used the flaken short rib cut which I buy at the korean grocery. Just the way I've done it for 20 years. But I was wondering can you use a bone-in rib roast and cutting into thin strips? Has anyone done it? How did it turn out?

How do you cut up the roast?

Any insight would be appreaciated.

Soup

#2 _john

_john
  • participating member
  • 564 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

I used a meat slicer and a cordless dril to "turn" a semi-frozen roast into one long strip of meat once. I started cutting against the grain but was cutting with the grain half of the time as the cylinder rotated. I don't think it was worth the danger or the effort.

#3 budrichard

budrichard
  • participating member
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

You would need a power ban saw to cut the rib primal uniformly.
I see nothing to be gained,
I always purchase from H-Mart short ribs cut into convenient large packages and package for freezing.-Dick

#4 tim

tim
  • participating member
  • 834 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

Wrong texture and flavor. The loin cut is very tender and has much less flavor. You can use the rib roast for bulgogi.