Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

RuthBourdain

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:03 PM

Those on Twitter are likely aware of this marriage made in hell. If not, following both RuthReichel and RuthBourdaine is time well twent.

ruthreichl will tweet a whimsical and often tasty glimpse into her day.

Rain biblical. Scarlet glow of kimichi eggs. Potent tea, very black. Umbrella, boots, scarves, gloves. Heading off to swim downtown.

Shortly thereafter the curdled reichlbourdain interpretation

Rain biblical. Into the ark, 2 by 2: kimchi eggs, umbrellas, boots, scarves, Ramones albums, pork bellies. Tea oversteeped. God help us all.

One more pairing:

In the park this morning, the first tender fluff of forsythia was struggling into spring. Now I'm looking out at palm trees.

AM in the park, first tender fluff of forsythia struggling into spring. Now it's in my bong & I'm seeing palm trees. That's some good sh--!

Edited by Holly Moore, 30 March 2010 - 05:04 PM.

Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#2 The Food Buster

The Food Buster
  • participating member
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

Honestly, I never understood the Ruth Bourdain thing. Ya, it's kind of good, but I'll stick to the real Bourdain any day of the week. He's a weird guy, but whenever he talks it somehow sounds cool instead of just plain gibberish.
Edmund Mokhtarian
Food and Wine Blogger
http://www.thefoodbuster.com

#3 Doodad

Doodad
  • participating member
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:22 AM

Can someone clue me in on what this is about?

#4 IndyRob

IndyRob
  • participating member
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:04 PM

Can someone clue me in on what this is about?

As far as I can tell, Ruth Reichl (American food writer) began tweeting food related haikus. Anthony Bourdain saw them and liked them and began reading them as a segment of a weekly satellite radio show (Turn and Burn) he did earlier this year with Eric Ripert. Ruth Riechl surprised them by turning up on-air.

I'm not sure about this, but I imagine that a listener had an idea to tweet versions of her tweets in what he(?) imagined would be the style of Bourdain. Bourdain found these and liked them (in a disturbing way), and Reichl and Bourdain talked about them on the radio show. Bourdain even had Ripert read one of Ruth Bourdain's off-color tweets.

I think the true identity of Ruth Bourdain remains a mystery. It would be great to find out it was Mario Batali or someone, but I suspect it's just a shlub like me.

[ETA] Might as well embed...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQVUUi8lif4

Edited by IndyRob, 22 September 2010 - 02:16 PM.

#5 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

The mystery has been solved!  Ruth is actually Josh Friedland, a freelance writer.

#6 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

Now how about @AngryBobbyFlay?

Who has recently resurfaced, but without the same mordant wit.

#7 IndyRob

IndyRob
  • participating member
  • 853 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

The James Beard award must've been a shocker.  And not claiming it must've been brutal.

• Lisa Shock likes this

#8 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

And now someone needs to uncover RuthSietsema...