Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

What to do with too many oysters?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 onrushpam

onrushpam
  • participating member
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:00 AM

I'm doing seafood and snacks tomorrow night, instead of a sit-down dinner. There will only be four of us. I've ordered stone crab, shrimp and oysters. My seafood market won't sell less than a half-bushel of oysters. That's about 6 dozen and probably twice as many as I need. I'm just going to steam them. I do not want to try to shuck them myself. Any ideas what I could do with about 3 dozen left-over steamed oysters?

#2 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:09 AM

It was too greasy when I had it two years ago, but in Portland they make oyster hash that has great potential.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#3 DTBarton

DTBarton
  • participating member
  • 974 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

A pot of good oyster stew will use up a good many oysters pretty quick and keep for a few days of good cold weather eating.

Also, here's a good trick to make shucking easier if you decide to do it. Sometimes worth it as raw oysters have a pretty long shelf life if kept cold, 10 days to 2 weeks.

Fill a bucket with hot tap water. Drop some oysters in the shell in the water. Wait a few seconds and start shucking. The brief sit in the hot water really loosens up the shells and makes shucking go much faster.

I like to shuck myself if possible as it's easier to save the liquor.

#4 NWKate

NWKate
  • participating member
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

I volunteer to hide them in my mouth! :biggrin:

#5 CommissionerLin

CommissionerLin
  • participating member
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:39 PM

I'm doing seafood and snacks tomorrow night, instead of a sit-down dinner.  There will only be four of us.  I've ordered stone crab, shrimp and oysters.  My seafood market won't sell less than a half-bushel of oysters.  That's about 6 dozen and probably twice as many as I need.  I'm just going to steam them.  I do not want to try to shuck them myself.  Any ideas what I could do with about 3 dozen left-over steamed oysters?

View Post

Do a batch of Oyster Tempura. Many recipes for this on the net. http://www.bbc.co.uk...chi_85286.shtml

#6 chefgregory

chefgregory
  • legacy participant
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:17 PM

I'm doing seafood and snacks tomorrow night, instead of a sit-down dinner.  There will only be four of us.  I've ordered stone crab, shrimp and oysters.  My seafood market won't sell less than a half-bushel of oysters.  That's about 6 dozen and probably twice as many as I need.  I'm just going to steam them.  I do not want to try to shuck them myself.  Any ideas what I could do with about 3 dozen left-over steamed oysters?

View Post

If you blanch/poach them they will last a week in the fridge in their own juice.

I'm not sure if you need instructions, so if not just ignore. Get the biggest pot you have and get enough water to cover them (I'll assume a gallon), throw in a tablespoon of peppercorns, 5-6 small leaves, a lemon cut into wedges and bring to a boil, couple tabelsppons sea salt. Put the oysters in when boiling rapidly and cook for 4-6 minutes (the water probably won't get back to a boil). They still should be soft in the middle. Store in the fridge covered in just enough of this liquid to cover them.

Now from the fridge you can make lots of things from them. we used to make rockefellr (creams spinach and hollandaise) or "fire" baked in the oven with a hot sauce and cheese. One of my favorites was breading them in cornmeal/flour combo and panfrying them with a tartar sauce. Lots of choice at this point though.

Cheers
GB

#7 PopsicleToze

PopsicleToze
  • participating member
  • 944 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:54 AM

Oyster & artichoke soup would be a great way to use up some of your oysters. It's on my short list of fabulous recipes.

Rhonda

#8 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:18 PM

I have no clue what to do with leftover steamed oysters...but if you'll just bite the bullet & shuck 'em, the sky's the limit: raw on the half-shell with mignonette, char-grilled on the halfshell, fried oyster poboys, oyster stew, oyster dressing, oyster patties, chicken & oyster gumbo, good ol' angels on horseback (oysters on water chestnuts, wrapped in bacon & broiled), oyster pan roast w/rosemary & cream & garlicky bread crumbs. I could go for a couple dozen char-grilled right now, topped with a little minced garlic, some butter, and the merest whisp of parmesan & parsley.

#9 Batard

Batard
  • participating member
  • 389 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:55 PM

Another example of one man's problem being another man's dream ... ;)

Excellent suggestions. It won't use up 3 dozen, but I would make soon-du-boo with some of them.

Edited by Batard, 24 December 2008 - 01:56 PM.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."
Fergus Henderson

#10 dougal

dougal
  • participating member
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:21 PM

And there's the old English classic "Steak and Oyster Pie" ...
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

#11 Peter the eater

Peter the eater
  • participating member
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

Make chowder, and freeze it if you have to.

When oysters drop below 25 cents I buy lots and experiment. They're quite versatile.
Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .
Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .
Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

#12 onrushpam

onrushpam
  • participating member
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:06 PM

Thanks y'all!
I don't think I really have a problem... We ate WAY more than I thought we would. The leftovers are sittling happily on a tray in the fridge, covered with wet towels. I'm thinking DH and I will just steam and eat the rest on NYE.

We had the steamed oysters, stone crab and shrimp. The oysters were the HIT! The cheapest thing on the menu, but OH MY they were GOOD!!!

#13 RAHiggins1

RAHiggins1
  • participating member
  • 514 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:22 PM

Oysters Rockefeller Soup
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

#14 sjemac

sjemac
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

Oysters will last for a month if kept alive. I buy a whole peck at a time and simply keep them in the fridge crisper covered with a damp cloth for a few weeks, shucking a few every day or steaming a bunch as I need them. These are always Malpeques (Atlantic oysters) BTW. Pacific oysters may need to be treated differently.

Edited by sjemac, 25 December 2008 - 12:06 PM.

#15 onrushpam

onrushpam
  • participating member
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:43 PM

These are Apalachicola oysters that were still nestled in their bay beds 24 hrs or less before I bought them. They were SOOOO good last night! Sis and nephew had never eaten lightly steamed oysters before and they loved 'em! I ate mine "straight". They added a little lemon juice and cocktail sauce.

The remaining 2-3 dozen are sitting in the fridge and will be consumed NYE if not before.

I really do need to learn to shuck them. I think I need a coach!

#16 Mr. Delicious

Mr. Delicious
  • participating member
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:45 PM

These are Apalachicola oysters that were still nestled in their bay beds 24 hrs or less before I bought them.  They were SOOOO good last night!  Sis and nephew had never eaten lightly steamed oysters before and they loved 'em!  I ate mine "straight".  They added a little lemon juice and cocktail sauce.

The remaining 2-3 dozen are sitting in the fridge and will be consumed NYE if not before.

I really do need to learn to shuck them.  I think I need a coach!

View Post

I posted an oyster spinach dip in recipes that rock 2008 my favorite appetizer ever, a must try!!

#17 sjemac

sjemac
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:17 PM

I really do need to learn to shuck them.  I think I need a coach!

View Post

Blood and stitches are the best coaches. Many a night has been spent staunching venous flow from a palm or finger while shucking oysters drunk. If you eat a lot of raw oysters that you shuck yourself, wounds are a foregone conclusion -- especially if liquor's involved.