Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

PDT (Please Don't Tell) -- St. Marks Place.

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#91 donbert

donbert
  • participating member
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:59 PM

I know this has got to be Donbert's doing!

My question is: why not the green scallion sauce?!

I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations but someone else is putting an everything bagel inspired hot dog on the menu that will include fresh scallions, cream cheese, and everything bagel spices.

#92 Vinotas

Vinotas
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:18 AM

New dog at PDT, via New York Magazine:

David Chang has a James Beard award, a recent fashion spread in Esquire, glossy-food-magazine honors galore, and the gushing admiration of nearly every right-minded foodie in town. Just about everything a young chef could ever want. Still, his friends at PDT (113 St. Marks Pl., nr. Ave. A; 212-614-0386), the Crif Dogs cocktail-lounge annex, thought that something was lacking. So, with Chang’s blessing, they’ve introduced the Chang Dog—a deep-fried hot dog wrapped in bacon and smothered with Chang’s own Momofuku Ssäm Bar red kimchee purée. Those keeping score will note that this catapults Chang into a whole new realm of superstardom, beyond the level of mere celebrity chef and into the rarified ranks of icons—Jerry Seinfeld, Bob Costas, and, of course, Fyvush Finkel among them—who have sandwiches named after them.

I know this has got to be Donbert's doing!

My question is: why not the green scallion sauce?!

View Post

I actually ate this last night and can confirm that it's sinfully delicious. A tad on the salty side, but otherwise perfect bar food.

It was great meeting John, and Weinoo was at the bar so we chatted a bit as well. I would have liked to chat a bit more with both of them but I was with two lady friends - priorities, priorities. That said, we had a great time, the cocktails rocked (I loved the one with Pastis and vinegar), the decor's cool, and I concur with what someone else said earlier: every place should have a secret entrance. Coming in through the phone booth was fun.

Thanks for a great time, I'll be sure to stop in again soon, especially if I'm with some of my winemakers, they tend to get tired of all the wine bars after a while.
Cheers! :cool:

Edited by Vinotas, 30 October 2007 - 05:20 AM.

#93 eas

eas
  • participating member
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:23 PM

crif dog mischief continues...the bagel scallion one had crunch and was really good. And I had a chance to sample from the vastly expanded cocktail menu.

#94 Vinotas

Vinotas
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:22 PM

Bagel scallion one? Ooooh, I will have to try that, we are going with a friend from out of town on Saturday.

#95 BryanZ

BryanZ
  • participating member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:33 PM

Vastly expanded cocktail menu indeed. PDT has really come into its own based on another visit I paid this evening. With all the recent press about speakeasies and secret bars, some of the hipster douchebag set (to which I generally subscribe) have called PDT and the cocktail renaissance over. Looking for something newer and hipper and to escape the encroach of the B&T (to whom I am geographically bound), there seems to be vacuum in the "next big thing" of downtown nightlife.

To these trendoid haters, I say good riddance. PDT is still putting out my favorite cocktails in the city. On this chilly evening my companion and I sampled the Apricot Flip, an Old Fashioned made with anjeo tequilla and mezcal, the Silk Road, and the gin-concord grape drink (the Paul's Club, I believe). All these drinks were delicious and complex and layered. Sometimes smoky, sometimes sweet, sometimes sour, sometimes bitter; a world of flavors and aromas. Really, not even a merely "good" drink in the bunch, all had their merits.

I sat at the bar this time and arrived shortly after opening before a dinner reservation for later. The space had filled by the time I left after 7 and I imagine would remain so for the rest of the evening. I also had the opportunity to sample two dogs, the Chang Dog and John John Deragon Dog. Both were quite excellent. Chatted with John for a few seconds as he was hanging around, and Jim Meehan was in house which, if you're into the cocktail thing, is kind of a big deal, I suppose.

The place has really expanded its drink selection and the quality is just as good, if not better than ever. A wonderful start to an evening.

#96 ryeandchampagne

ryeandchampagne
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:33 PM

Like BryanZ, I also stopped by PDT on Saturday night - it had been about one month since my last visit and probably 2-3 months since my last "serious" visit. "Serious" meaning going with an adventurous friend and spending enough time there to make a considerable dent in the menu.

The staff was kind enough to seat my friend and I at a table right away, explaining that there was a reservation for it in 30 minutes. They offered to seat us at the bar as soon as something opened up. They were even able to accommodate a third person that was joining our party later in the evening, by squeezing in an extra bar stool - I couldn't have asked for better or more gracious service.

On to the cocktails. I started with what seemed like a variation on a Jack Rose that was the special cocktail of the week. It was great - I usually don't go for cocktails that sweet, but it was quite tasty. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name or what was in it - sorry! My friend started with a Rye Witch - I'm trying to get him to expand beyond just bourbon :)

Our second round consisted of a Harvest Sling and a Vieux Carre - both lovely. Man, I love Benedictine. We also tried the Paul's Club cocktail - complex with interesting flavors. I could definitely detect the vinegar, but it was well balanced by the sweetness. The Ricard float was a little strong in the first few sips, but it's always nice to have a cocktail change over the course of time.

We also wolfed down 2 Chang dogs, which were great. I would have preferred the kimchi puree to have a bit more oomph - it was spicy, but I like my kimchi a bit more pickled and pungent.

This visit reminded me how much I like this place. Just my two cents :)

Edited by ryeandchampagne, 25 November 2007 - 07:34 PM.

#97 Vinotas

Vinotas
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:57 PM

Wow, seems like there was a bunch of EGullet'ers there on Saturday. We went there around 7:45-8pm and sat at the table farthest to the left after walking in. Drinks were great (I had my favorite, the Paul's Club and another one with Champagne and bourbon, the name escapes me), my wife and our friend had the Desert Rose. Service was good as usual, though I do prefer sitting at the bar.

After, we hit Flea Market for dinner, then visited the new wine bar, Solex, which was great. Jet-lag kicked in around 1am and I turned into a pumpkin.

#98 I_call_the_duck

I_call_the_duck
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:59 PM

Heh. Looks like we missed the party. We were there on Friday night. I had the Silk Road, Mr. Duck had a beer. Both were great. Next round was a Manhattan and some grapefruit concoction with vermouth and Campari. Such a great place.

No food--saved ourselves for Momofuku.
Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

#99 Mayur

Mayur
  • participating member
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:46 PM

Congrats to the PDT guys for taking the 2nd AND 3rd places in the Vinos de Jerez 2007 Cocktail Competition! Results were announced last night at the launch event for the Big Book of Sherry Wines (a heck of a party!). donbert's Hudson took 3rd place, Jim Meehan's Rye Witch 2nd.

[EDIT: donbert also should have received a special prize for having the only food-based cocktail... ;) ]

Edited by Mayur, 30 November 2007 - 01:47 PM.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

#100 johnder

johnder
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:50 PM

We are going to be switching over our menu from our "Fall" menu to our "Winter" menu in a week or two. I wanted to give everyone a sneak peek...

Donizetti
Tanqueray, Amaro CioCiaro, Rothman and Winter Apricot Brandy, Moet White Star Champange

Black Flip
Cruzan Blackstrap Rum, Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout, Demerara Syrup, Egg

Harvest Moon
Wild Turkey 101 Rye, Lillet Blanc, Bonded Applejack, Green Chartreuse, "Abbotts" bitters

Bee's Cactus
Don Julio Reposado, Palo Cortado Sherry, Barenjager, Orange Bitters

Cinema Highball
Popcorn & Butter Infused Flor de Cana Rum, Boylan's Cream Soda

Cranberry Cobbler
Beefeater Gin, East India Sherry, Cranberries, Cranberry Syrup

The Professor
Rhum Clement VSOP, Tawny Port, Carpano Antica, Angostura and Orange Bitters

Benton's Old Fashioned
Benton's Bacon infused Elijah Craig, Angostura Bitters, Maple Syrup

?
Walnut Infused Hine Cognac, Yellow Chartreuse, Amaro CioCiaro

Mai Tai #113
Mount Gay Eclipse Rum, Flor De Cana, Rothman and Winter Apricot Brandy, House Orgeat, Lime, Fresh Pineapple Juice

Desert Rose
Rose Infused Plymouth Gin, Prickly Pear, Lemon Juice

Silver Sangaree
Paumanok Cabernet Franc, Ruby Port, Famouse Grouse Scotch, Lemon, Clove Simple, Brandied Cherries, Egg White

Last Word
Blue Gin, Lime, Green Chartreuse VEP, Luxardo Maraschino

Staggerac
George T. Stagg Bourbon, Sugar, Angostura & Peychauds Bitters, Absinthe

Mt. Vernon
Clear Creek Kirsch, Gran Duque D'Alba Brandy, Toro Albala 1979 PX, Cherry Heering, Grapefruit

We are also go to have 4 surprise guest created cocktails on the list from Audrey Saunders, Lenell Smothers, Julie Reiner and Charlotte Voisey.

Still working on the name for the Walnut Cognac cocktail. I am open to suggestions on this one if anyone has a good name let me know!

[edited to fix CioCiaro typo]

Edited by johnder, 18 December 2007 - 01:04 PM.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#101 Vinotas

Vinotas
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:02 PM

Still working on the name for the Walnut Cognac cocktail.  I am open to suggestions on this one if anyone has a good name let me know!

View Post

The first one that comes to mind, especially in this season, is the Nutcracker. :rolleyes:

Great list though, looking forward to trying many of them soon.

Edited by Vinotas, 18 December 2007 - 01:05 PM.

#102 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,089 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:03 PM

Very nice to see a cocktail named after one of my favorite composers. Is this a Bellini riff? Awesome list.

To pick a minor nit: It's Amaro CioCiaro, not Amaro Cio Ciaro (as explained here, and also see the producer's product page here where it is spelled without capitalizing the second C -- which I would take to be the most correct). Not a big deal, but maybe worth fixing before you print. :smile:

Edited by slkinsey, 18 December 2007 - 01:07 PM.

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#103 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:06 PM

Thanks Sam, good catch. Luckily we haven't printed these yet, and we also print them in -house now, since we are changing the menu so often it is cheaper for us to do it then sending it out to a printer.
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#104 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,089 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:09 PM

Having had the Staggerac a few times, I can say that it is a mighty beast and not to be missed.

J: How are you guys making your orgeat?

Edited by slkinsey, 18 December 2007 - 01:10 PM.

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#105 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:12 PM

Having had the Staggerac a few times, I can say that it is a mighty beast and not to be missed.

J:  How are you guys making your orgeat?

View Post

I used this great recipe from feste and tweaked it slightly. I will update that thread with the recipe as soon as I finalize the ingredient weights.

John
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--

#106 hannnah

hannnah
  • 658 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:16 PM

Benton's Old Fashioned

Oh, my. You are truly evil geniuses, and I'll be looking forward to this one, assuming it's still around in February when we're up there next.

Still working on the name for the Walnut Cognac cocktail.  I am open to suggestions on this one if anyone has a good name let me know!

View Post

Maybe a play on the Italian or French for walnut - noce or noix, but the only ones I can come up with are mediocre puns like "great noce-on". :huh:
"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

#107 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:42 PM

Buona Noce?

Edited by Nathan, 18 December 2007 - 01:42 PM.

#108 kathryn

kathryn
  • participating member
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:02 PM

Benton's Old Fashioned

God, I hope this is served with a piece of bacon as garnish.
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

#109 BryanZ

BryanZ
  • participating member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:27 PM

Benton's Old Fashioned

God, I hope this is served with a piece of bacon as garnish.

View Post

This drink sounds so spectacularly delicious.

#110 Mayur

Mayur
  • participating member
  • 590 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:58 PM

It's truly awesome. (I like the bacon garnish idea, though!)

That Staggerac is a monster; I'd never have thought it would work, but man, that Stagg bourbon goes down like melted chocolate (okay, 144 proof melted chocolate, but...)

#111 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:56 PM

I can attest to both drinks - love the Benton's and, as Mayur says, watch out for the Staggerac!
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#112 ryeandchampagne

ryeandchampagne
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

Jupiter's Acorn
Walnut Infused Hine Cognac, Yellow Chartreuse, Amaro CioCiaro

"Walnuts (genus Juglans) are plants in the family Juglandaceae. The Latin name Juglans derives from Jovis glans, 'Jupiter's acorn': figuratively, a nut fit for a god."

A nut fit for a god - I kind of like that. Although I'm also a fan of Nathan's suggestion - Buena Noce.

#113 Mayur

Mayur
  • participating member
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:02 PM

There's another definition of glans, you know.

#114 Scotttos

Scotttos
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:29 AM

Wow that Last Word sound mighty delicious also....with the VEP is it still the traditional equal parts?

And of course the staggerac just sounds evil in all the best ways.

#115 ryeandchampagne

ryeandchampagne
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:51 AM

There's another definition of glans, you know.

View Post

Indeed, the word glans does have a *cough* more anatomically-correct definition. However, the pure Latin translation of the word IS acorn.

It does put quite an interesting twist on my suggestion though... oh, lord. My bad, guys.

#116 Luckylies

Luckylies
  • participating member
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:27 PM

there. you've got a name: Jupiters Balls.
does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

#117 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:57 PM

Staggerac?

My goodness, I thought that the Thos. Handy Sazerac I made was a bit too powerful for my own good.

I can only imagine the damage a Staggerac would do. Sheesh, a good thing no one drives in New York City.

You folks truly are evil geniuses.
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#118 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:24 PM

Stumbling in later than Frank Bruni to the Momofuku party here, I just want to add my vote in favor of PDT as a seriously enjoyable cocktail spot. And I think the juxtaposition of the gourmet New York cocktails against the rustic New Jersey hot dogs comes off brilliantly. The Chang Dog and the John John Deragon are delicious. Jim Meehan is a great host. I think the reason I liked the place so much is that it takes cocktails seriously without taking itself too seriously.
Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#119 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:59 AM

Having highly recommended a stop at PDT to a few of my friends and bar customers from Philly, I was disturbed to hear they were turned away at the door or (horrors!) found the place closed when they stopped by in the last couple of weeks. Were there days that the bar was closed?

Is there some protocol I'm unaware of for those that wish to merely stop in for a round or two? Are reservations required even at the bar? I realize I haven't had these issues myself because I undoubtedly stop by on a Monday or Tuesday when I'm off and it isn't that busy. And perhaps the friendly barkeeps recognize my mug on the monitor. But what shall I accurately tell folks that I'm recommending the place to? Particularly those that may have travelled some distance to check the place out....

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#120 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:27 AM

PDT only admits as many as can be seated (pretty much). its a small place. its virtually always full or close to being full.