Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Adventures in Brioche

Bread French

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

Bojana, those look amazing. That idea is a keeper.

I imagine you could also make this as a loaf so the brioche could be cut into slices, if you wanted to serve it with foie or something else. But this shape is so much fun.

#62 Bojana

Bojana
  • participating member
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

Linda, this was my test batch, I will make them again in 2 weeks to serve with foie :)

More precisely, Seared Foie Gras atop Truffle Brioche with Rhubarb jam, Rhubarb foal and Pickled Red Fruit. But that is a whole other discussion.

I used Peter Reinhart's Rich man brioche recipe, which is decadently buttery, 50:50 butter flour ratio. It felt like biting into a croissant.

#63 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 768 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

My son said that he and his fiance wanted to make dinner for me today and I was not allowed in the kitchen. :)  Too late. I already had a batch of brioche dough rising.  It's finished now and the kitchen is clear for the kids.  I don't know what they plan but at least there will be some bread to go with it.

URL=http://s262.photobuc...57a52.jpg.html]DSCN1063_zpsc8557a52.jpg[/URL]

DSCN1065_zps918c26ae.jpg

• Anna N, judiu, lindag and 2 others like this

#64 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

They look lovely.

#65 Starkman

Starkman
  • participating member
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:24 AM

Yuu-um!

#66 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 768 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for the comments and the likes. 

#67 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:49 AM

Norm,

Just Gorgeous!!!

I've never made brioche.  Can you point us to the recipe you used?

#68 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 768 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

If these directions need further explanation, just ask. I hope you can use the original list of ingredients along with the directions I provided.

The recipe I used is based on one of the two brioche recipes from the 1969 Farm Journal Homemade Bread book edited by Nell B. Nichols except I used a cup of sourdough starter and one package of rapid rise yeast instead of two packages of yeast and I used about half the amount of zest and used lime zest instead of lemon zest.  I prefer just a hint of the zest flavor.  I put the milk, butter salt and sugar in a saucepan and heated until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Do not boil.  When cooled to lukewarm, add beaten eggs and 1 cup of room temperature sourdough starter to mixer bowl. When using the sourdough starter do not add the 1/4 C. water.  Add 1 package of yeast to 1 cup of flour ( I used King Arthur AP flour) and mix into the mixer bowl with wire whisk until foamy.  Switch to dough hook and mix on speed 2, adding enough flour-1 cup at a time- until dough just barely stops sticking to bottom of bowl.  Turn out and knead with additional flour if needed until smooth and elastic. Put in oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.  The book says to put 2-inch balls into muffin tins and top with a smaller ball rolled into a tear-drop shape with the pointed end down into a depression made with your finger- this makes about 2 dozen rolls- but this time I shaped it into 8 mini loaves.  Cover, brushed with cooled melted butter, let rise until doubled  The directions says to bake @ 425º for ten minutes.  Since I used bigger loaves, I put a digital thermometer probe into one of the loaves as soon as the crust has set and remove from oven at 190º.  It took these larger loaves around 25 minutes to bake until done.

BRIOCHE

1 C. milk

1/2C. butter or margarine

1 tsp. salt

1/2C. sugar

2 pkg. active dry yeast

1/4 C. warm water (110•to 115•)

4 eggs, beaten

1 tsp. grated lemon peel

5 C. sifted all-purpose flour (about)

melted butter for brushing on tops.

Edited by Norm Matthews, 16 December 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#69 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

I love brioche...especially for making bostock.  It's the single best use of brioche, IMHO.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread, French