• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

56 minutes ago, Duvel said:

pineapple Sauerkraut

Please tell more about this!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

43 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

It's been 20 years since I've been there. My daughter used to live at Plattsburgh.

Plattsburgh NY?

If so when our family lived in Montreal that was our 'southern vacation' (although in retrospect they most likely went there to shop) 😇

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

50 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

It's been 20 years since I've been there. My daughter used to live at Plattsburgh.

1 minute ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Plattsburgh NY?

If so when our family lived in Montreal that was our 'southern vacation' (although in retrospect they most likely went there to shop) 😇

I'm thinking that @Tropicalsenior may be speaking of Plattsburg, MO.  

I grew up in Plattsburgh, NY and did my time working at the local McDonalds, serving many Canadian shoppers and beach-side campers. 

• Like 2

@Maison Rustique I like the idea of roasting alongside the meatloaf.

@Dejah When I moved to Toronto in 1980 as a graduate student one of my go to places to buy meat was the now gone European Meats in Kensington Market. They were almost giving away, compared to more popular cuts, oxtails, beef shanks, flank steaks and others which now just elicit a WTF response.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

10 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

@Maison Rustique I like the idea of roasting alongside the meatloaf.

@Dejah When I moved to Toronto in 1980 as a graduate student one of my go to places to buy meat was the now gone European Meats in Kensington Market. They were almost giving away, compared to more popular cuts, oxtails, beef shanks, flank steaks and others which now just elicit a WTF response.

I will roast veggies alongside anything or on their own. My sister recently called me the Queen of Roasted Vegetables and I wasn't sure if she meant it as a compliment or if she is tired of always having roasted veggies when they come here. I love nearly any vegetable roasted and it is quick and easy with minimal clean up.

• Like 4

Deb

Liberty, MO

Ground up about 3 lbs of well marbled chuck this morning and made burgers tonight. Maybe one of the burgers I have ever eaten. Conecuh hamburger seasoning, a buttered and toasted Sara Lee bun, Duke Mayo, ketchup and mustard. Baked russet or sweet potato.

20240120_192444.thumb.jpg.2c9e215753986038bf1d4ed57f055712.jpg

Arroz con pollo from the other night.

20240115_134223.thumb.jpg.0fde6435608a48498fa175b7b0340a84.jpg

And a roasted chicken breast for my wife to add to salads

20240115_131046.thumb.jpg.8e2f932e5f623851cc094f25bd44a4ab.jpg

Edited by billyhill
Photos and additions (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Needed a quick one wok meal tonight as I was busy working on Char Siu

Yaki Udon with various veg, beef and shrimp                             YakiUdonNoodles3388.jpg.8e9037de7d3f563b86695bb5569c188b.jpg

Was not as warm as I had hoped: -18C, but I was fairly well sheltered out in the backyard. Had marinated slabs of pork sirloin chops, and cooked them in the Big Easy!
Diced them up, cooked in hoisin and chicken stock, and ready to make baos tomorrow!

ChariouBigEasy3382.jpg.51af5fa62ed6b04d8ffaf47f89dd619e.jpgCharSiu3380.jpg.a00a988b8cfcb5c96ab1b52bae09b238.jpg

Charsiufilling392.jpg.a523e9ba9ba49d8e278d40aa154fac6d.jpg                        

• Like 15
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

Please tell more about this!

It‘s a common (yet not traditional) side to cured meats, e.g. Kassler or Schäufele.

You fry some onions, add bayleaves, juniper berries and maybe cloves, top up with 100-150 mL white wine. Add your Sauerkraut (800g, drained), salt (depending on your Sauerkrauts salinity) and simmer for about 10 min. Add sugar to get a sweet & sour balance, then add one pineapple, cubed and simmer for 20 min more. Adjust the sweetness and acidity to your liking.

For these burgers I chopped the Sauerkraut a bit up, and made rather small pineapple cubes, so I could apply the mixture as a kind of relish. For big chunks of cured meat you want to have a more rustic texture …

You can add bacon cubes or cured sausage links while frying the onions, then it becomes a meal in itself, if ypu serve it with some fried potatoes.

Finally, the whole thing works with mango, too …

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Still cooking as part of my rehabilitation but keeping it simple. Tonight was pan fried cod fillets with shiitake, garlic and  chilli. Served with orzo and a glass of good Prosecco. Just the one glass...IMG_20240121_203315.thumb.jpg.20a774ffdab1c3397836b28f3eb9fac8.jpg

... although it may have been refilled a few times.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Vegan curry with yams, red lentils, chickpeas, and baby spinach added at the end to wilt. Served with brown rice.

IMG_0386.jpeg

• Like 13

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

14 hours ago, Raamo said:

Serious Eats Red Beans and Rice

We make a double recipe of this each year for the past few.  Last year it was too watery... so this year once we took everything solid out we boiled the liqud down until it was like gravy.

And this is the best time yet!!!

20240121_112446.thumb.jpg.931a81a2415fab0690a2a511dc6d9631.jpg

Thanks for the reminder. A little while back, when my GF and I visited our area's first-ever Popeye's to see what the fuss was about, the red beans and rice were her favorite thing. She can't eat pork any more for medical reasons, but the bacon fat in the rb&r thankfully didn't trigger a flare of her rheumatoid arthritis. I told her that I'd make it for her at home one day with RA-friendly ingredients, and promptly forgot.

I'll probably run with that recipe as a base, but use Beyond Sausage and a cured rabbit for the meats. It's certainly good weather for it!

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning