• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sheetpan Meals

Anna N

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

We really liked this Italian sausage w/ shallots and apples sheet pan dinner.  It was uncomplicated and tasty and we thought it would be great with bratwurst, too.  

Thanks, Kim. That looks really good and easily adaptable to just one serving.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How does this compare with the A4 Box?

While I love my A4 box, it requires much more attention than does the oven. 

• Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

We really liked this Italian sausage w/ shallots and apples sheet pan dinner.  It was uncomplicated and tasty and we thought it would be great with bratwurst, too.  

That's a really good suggestion.  I think the most successful sheet pan meals I've tried are sausage-based.  The one with sweet potatoes, merguez, dates and lemon slices from I Dream of Dinner, served with a green sauce was an excellent meal. She says no need to flip anything but I think a good stir mid-way was helpful.  I steamed the dates first to make sure they wouldn't dry out too much but adding them at the midpoint stir time would be an easier alternative. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think the most successful sheet pan meals I've tried are sausage-based.  

I started thinking about this, and I think you are probably onto something. Especially if the sausage is better quality, it brings all its own seasonings to the dance. I have some lamb sausage in the freezer, so I will be thinking about using that in the near future.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, kayb said:

Me, I’m dreaming about sweet potatoes with dates. What a perfect match. Never thought of it. Thanks.

Don’t forget the lemon slices. When they get a little charred, they are the perfect counterpoint to the sweetness of the other ingredients!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

One of the easiest and best dishes in my sheet pan book was Italian sausages with grapes and shallots, similar to your recipe but flavored a bit differently. Sausages are a good choice for sheet pans.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JAZ said:

One of the easiest and best dishes in my sheet pan book was Italian sausages with grapes and shallots, similar to your recipe but flavored a bit differently. Sausages are a good choice for sheet pans.

You know, I feel like we made that.  When I did this recipe, Mr. Kim and I kept saying we thought I'd made it before, except with grapes and distinctly remembered the flavor of the roasted grapes, but I couldn't find that I'd saved the recipe.  

Mark Bittman’s Cod with Potatoes is essentially a sheet pan dinner.   It’s a favorite around my house.   I have of course modified it to get far more than one pan dirty.  If I only got one pan dirty, Mrs Dr Teeth would think I was dying or had been replaced by a space alien.   I couldn’t do that to her, especially not this close to the holidays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Dr. Teeth said:

If I only got one pan dirty, Mrs Dr Teeth would think I was dying or had been replaced by a space alien.

That sounds like my late husband. I always said that when he got loose in the kitchen, it took an act of Congress to clean up after him.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Mark Bittman’s Cod with Potatoes is essentially a sheet pan dinner.   It’s a favorite around my house.   I have of course modified it to get far more than one pan dirty.  If I only got one pan dirty, Mrs Dr Teeth would think I was dying or had been replaced by a space alien.   I couldn’t do that to her, especially not this close to the holidays.

It actually looks like it could serve the purpose if we just write you out of the picture. 😂

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/21/2022 at 10:39 AM, Anna N said:

This seems to be the secret. I guess too many people have tried to suggest that everything can be put on the sheetpan  at the same time.  (This was in fact, the way I discovered one pan cooking. I believe it was a Nigella Lawson recipe. Here). I realize from reading through that recipe now that it was not so much a sheetpan meal as a roasting pan meal, but it was very simple. Then sheet pan/traybake meals took off and cookbooks were written, and testing was neglected, methinks.  Ever the optimist I was hoping for some magic formula, which would pair proteins and vegetables in such a way that each would cook in the same amount of time. I have given my head a shake, and realize how unlikely that is.

Was that' Chicken that Rocks' from way back in eG? 

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Couple of little potatoes at the right time would make this a nice sheetpan meal - Chicken with Caramelized Shallots

Interesting that he has added soy sauce to the original recipe. 

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Interesting that he has added soy sauce to the original recipe. 

I think I've always used soy sauce in it. 3 tablespoons each of oil and sherry vinegar, 1 tbsp of soy sauce. 

35 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think I've always used soy sauce in it. 3 tablespoons each of oil and sherry vinegar, 1 tbsp of soy sauce. 

You could be right, but he does mention that to him. It’s a change I have not made it in quite a while.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

Ottolenghi weighs in:

Behind every apparently relaxed tray bake, though, there’s a method, or certainly a key factor at play, and that is texture. Thinking about the vital role that texture plays in cooking generally — and in tray bakes in particular — can be useful for when the next tray bake is being thrown together from what is in the fridge. It’s also a useful reminder of why you’ll never find a recipe for tray-bake hummus. Or soup. Texture is all.

Take the key players in the one-pan paprika chicken. There are lentils, chicken, kabocha squash and sour cream in the dish. Legumes, protein, squash and dairy: it’s a combination I play with a lot, but the choice of what particular component and which variety I use is key to the success of the dish.

He's got a secret...Yotam Ottolenghi’s Secret to Great Sheet-Pan Chicken

Recipe...One-Pan Paprika Chicken With Lentils, Squash and Daqa

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

30 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Good secret!

The other secret has to be choice of a protein that can take the heat it takes to cook the veg.

I'll bet turkey wings would be good.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?