• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sheet pan Dinners

lindag

Lately, because of the hot weather, I’ve gotten into sheet pan recipes and I’ve found the perfect summertime easy meals.

Fresh vegetables that include asparagus, red onion, radish, carrot, bell pepper and yellow potato wedges.  Roasted for 10 minutes (or so) then added some fresh wild-caught cod fillets and back into the oven for another 10+ minutes.  Drizzled it with balsamic vinegar and it was wonderful.

• Like 5

I've never heard of sheet pan recipes before, but your idea sounds brilliant.  Thanks for posting it.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Sheet pan meals were a real "thing" a few years back, I remember being paid to write a few articles about them.

Tonight's dinner is almost but not quite that...potatoes, cauli and broccoli roasted in the oven, but the chicken cutlets are pan-fried.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Yes as @chromedome mentioned it became a term a few years ago. Part of "easy cooking" blog and instagram trend. Basically roasting things on the same sheet pan - how novel!  But it works. You just have to gauge the timing of different elements.

• Like 4

I wrote a cookbook for Ninja's new (at the time) digital air-fry convection oven that was all done on the sheet pan that comes with the oven. I discovered that with a little ingenuity, you can make a lot of meals on a sheet pan. For instance, I developed a recipe for an oven version of a shrimp boil, and found a way to do oven versions of typical stir-fry dishes. Fajitas are amazingly easy to do on a sheet pan, if you just time the veg and meat components corectly.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Tycoon Henry Kayser, starting with a cement business, built his empire with the motto “Find a need and fill it.”

Today we seem to be inundated with “fills” in search of “needs”.

Touché. However, as messy as my cooking adventures can be, I am drawn to techniques that cut the clean up a bit. 

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

10 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Tycoon Henry Kayser, starting with a cement business, built his empire with the motto “Find a need and fill it.”

Today we seem to be inundated with “fills” in search of “needs”.

It's not necessarily a bad thing. The laser was derided as "a solution in search of a problem" for the first several years of its existence, and it wound up being a foundational technology once we got our collective head wrapped around its capabilities.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnip, swede mushrooms, capsicum, tomatoes all large cubes (not much of any one) Add a slab of pork belly on top, cross scored & liberally salted on the top (covering the veges) cook slowly ending with a grill to get crackling.

One pan and heavenly rendering of fat to cook the veges in.

(save the resulting leavings for future use)

• Like 3

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

Plain roasted carrots (with oil and salt) are amazingly delicious. I don't know exactly what it is or why. Maybe the concentration of the flavor after roasting (evaporation) plus the caramelization. That plus some corkscrew pasta and feta cheese.

• Like 1

Melissa Clark has several articles about this in the New York Times: one two three

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

Plain roasted carrots (with oil and salt) are amazingly delicious. I don't know exactly what it is or why. Maybe the concentration of the flavor after roasting (evaporation) plus the caramelization. That plus some corkscrew pasta and feta cheese.

I've posted this previously around here somewhere, but sheet pan roasting carrots with cumin gave off the most delicious aroma while they roasted.

And yet when I had them with my supper, the cumin was barely there. Odd, to say the least.

Yes, thumbs up on sheet pan roasted carrots.:B

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

22 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I've posted this previously around here somewhere, but sheet pan roasting carrots with cumin gave off the most delicious aroma while they roasted.

And yet when I had them with my supper, the cumin was barely there. Odd, to say the least.

Yes, thumbs up on sheet pan roasted carrots.:B

I prefer the Kenji idea of a little pre cook so they are not beef jerky carrot. I do not par-boil  simply nuke with bit of water.

o

• Like 1