Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

rarerollingobject

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Recommended Posts

A bit of a cecchetti meal last night. Stuffed littlenecks, tomato bruschetta (farmers market tomatoes) and silver queen corn.

HC

IMG_0929.thumb.JPG.d760ca58ddef2b2c68617451da07b58a.JPGIMG_0930.thumb.JPG.df2e9e71780d185de9a7e466c67c2d1b.JPGIMG_0931.thumb.JPG.ebb2246eda0f77279adf658fe72f73ca.JPGIMG_0933.thumb.JPG.f099eb35d30a8226744f8fd71c5b4f3a.JPG

  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Down the shore(Wildwood Crest, NJ) and the second place I hit up yesterday was Rea's farm stand.  Mrs. Rea was out of her zucchini relish :(.  I did get some fresh limas and an ear of sweet corn.  Succotash ... I was happy with just succotash but Johnnybird needed more so some shrimp and pasta for him as well.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only seen burrata cheese in pictures here...and it always looks so good.  I found some online and purchased it .  Tried it last night.  OH it was good.  Had it along with venison meatballs and my canned green beans.

 

IMG_3599.JPG.9cd134afd413d99c11f5bdc6996f086d.JPG

 

59e89fd2c8ddc_IMG_36002.JPG.2a84b12cf15a7e34fcaa4702c5675b32.JPG

 

 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leftover pizza last night  from a local brick oven pizzeria with salad. 

 

 

IMG_1423.JPG

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick and simple tonight. Tired.

 

pork.thumb.jpg.1e02bfd12015a742b21c5642e5a65a73.jpg

 

Fried pork tenderloin, Shanghai bok choy, boiled potatoes and my favourite Thai ginger sauce (bottled).

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second attempt at what I call Blasphemy Ribs and now they are perfect.  I call them blasphemy ribs because usually we cook ribs as full (or half) rack, then cut them up before eating.  These are made by cutting them first, then applying a rub for 6 hours, then smoking at 225F.  Normally a rack of baby backs will smoke for 5 hours at that temp.  These cook much faster.  My first try was 3 hours and that was too much.  They were good, but a bit dry.  This batch was smoked for 2.5 hours and they came out perfect.  Moist, tender and plenty of smoke flavor.

 

This is a closeup of a piece of meat sliced off one of the ribs.  (I swear I took a normal shot of them plated with the green beans, but it's not there.)

 

blasphemy-ribs-close.jpg.2099c669d115fc186b6e8f03e4eef250.jpg

 

I also made char siu style ribs at the same time for my wife.

 

csribs7.jpg.b4e70fef0f41994d0057f36c4d934cf9.jpg

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Second attempt at what I call Blasphemy Ribs and now they are perfect.  I call them blasphemy ribs because usually we cook ribs as full (or half) rack, then cut them up before eating.  These are made by cutting them first, then applying a rub for 6 hours, then smoking at 225F.  Normally a rack of baby backs will smoke for 5 hours at that temp.  These cook much faster.  My first try was 3 hours and that was too much.  They were good, but a bit dry.  This batch was smoked for 2.5 hours and they came out perfect.  Moist, tender and plenty of smoke flavor.

 

This is a closeup of a piece of meat sliced off one of the ribs.  (I swear I took a normal shot of them plated with the green beans, but it's not there.)

 

blasphemy-ribs-close.jpg.2099c669d115fc186b6e8f03e4eef250.jpg

 

I also made char siu style ribs at the same time for my wife.

 

csribs7.jpg.b4e70fef0f41994d0057f36c4d934cf9.jpg

 

Those ribs are calling my name........

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping with the Get 'er done style of cooking of recent days.... Beef stew.  Stew meat that I canned- from our cow; carrots- purple, orange and white Belgian- from the garden, potatoes- red and white from the garden...onions from my neighbor.  Plus, garlic cheese biscuits.

IMG_2150.JPG

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steelhead on black lentils with braised white carrot, lacanto kale and radish

 

 

IMG_1425.JPG

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CB6DA91B-5B35-450F-9A01-36EB4BA1F004.thumb.jpeg.991e8196d00511a08ce4bb69421553a4.jpeg

 

Instant Pot Pork Vindaloo and Potatoes with Naan

 

  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

Keeping with the Get 'er done style of cooking of recent days.... Beef stew.  Stew meat that I canned- from our cow; carrots- purple, orange and white Belgian- from the garden, potatoes- red and white from the garden...onions from my neighbor.  Plus, garlic cheese biscuits.

IMG_2150.JPG

Garlic cheese biscuits for beef stew sound marvellous. Care to share the recipe ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Garlic cheese biscuits for beef stew sound marvellous. Care to share the recipe ?

 

This is highly embarrassing, but I used a GFS garlic biscuit mix and added cheese.   :P   I think the Red Lobster garlic mix is available for purchase, and the GFS stuff is similar.    HTH

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

 

This is highly embarrassing, but I used a GFS garlic biscuit mix and added cheese.   :P   I think the Red Lobster garlic mix is available for purchase, and the GFS stuff is similar.    HTH

No worries. I never had "biscuits" like this and won't probably be able to find a ready-made mix for that, but understand that they are popular on your side of the world. I do like the idea, so I'll check for a recipe and give it a try...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Duvel said:

No worries. I never had "biscuits" like this and won't probably be able to find a ready-made mix for that, but understand that they are popular on your side of the world. I do like the idea, so I'll check for a recipe and give it a try...

 

I've made these at home for years. The Cheddar Bay Biscuits and salad are the only things that are still edible at our Red Lobster chain restaurants anymore.

 

Red Lobster actually used to offer recipes on their own website, but don't anymore.

 

Here is the recipe I use that I got off the Red Lobster site many years ago and have adapted:

 

Cheddar Bay Biscuits

 

2 c Bisquick

2/3 c milk

1 c shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 t dried parsley flakes

1/4 c butter melted

1/4 t garlic powder

 

Mix Bisquick, cheese and parsley, add milk, mixing only until combined. Spoon or scoop onto an ungreased baking sheet (makes about 12). Bake at 425 F/218 C for 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, melt butter and stir in garlic powder. Brush or drizzle biscuits with garlic butter after they come out of the oven.

 

If you can't get Bisquick, which is a baking mix with flour, hydrogenated shortening, salt and baking powder in Hong Kong, just use 2 c AP flour, 1 t salt, 1 T baking powder and cut in 6 T butter before you stir in the cheese and parsley flakes.

 

I tried cooking fresh crushed garlic in the melted butter once, but this is one place where the garlic powder actually works a lot better.

 

These are really, really good!

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chicken parm, made with skin on, boned out chicken leg quarters, collard greens, roasted garlic, soft butter and warm bread.

HC

IMG_0946.thumb.JPG.0961b98001ab724f4fabb38e9142e868.JPGIMG_0948.thumb.JPG.c87e323d292bb7b07f9d2aef5bc52135.JPGIMG_0949.thumb.JPG.9f8e8ed192424f671b00b7c0ce2ae3cd.JPGIMG_0951.thumb.JPG.a9ef56e9c321f3199ad5998c512c6c14.JPG

 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning:

 

Dinner10202017.png

 

 

Perfectly grilled pork, thirty second green beans, two hour potato.

 

 

 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

 

I've made these at home for years. The Cheddar Bay Biscuits and salad are the only things that are still edible at our Red Lobster chain restaurants anymore.

 

Red Lobster actually used to offer recipes on their own website, but don't anymore.

 

Here is the recipe I use that I got off the Red Lobster site many years ago and have adapted:

 

Cheddar Bay Biscuits

 

2 c Bisquick

2/3 c milk

1 c shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 t dried parsley flakes

1/4 c butter melted

1/4 t garlic powder

 

Mix Bisquick, cheese and parsley, add milk, mixing only until combined. Spoon or scoop onto an ungreased baking sheet (makes about 12). Bake at 425 F/218 C for 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, melt butter and stir in garlic powder. Brush or drizzle biscuits with garlic butter after they come out of the oven.

 

If you can't get Bisquick, which is a baking mix with flour, hydrogenated shortening, salt and baking powder in Hong Kong, just use 2 c AP flour, 1 t salt, 1 T baking powder and cut in 6 T butter before you stir in the cheese and parsley flakes.

 

I tried cooking fresh crushed garlic in the melted butter once, but this is one place where the garlic powder actually works a lot better.

 

These are really, really good!

 

 

No bisquick here, but I'll give the Ersatz version a go - thank you, TftC !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steamed red drum (白龙鱼 bái lóng yú; literally 'white dragon fish). Steamed with Shaoxing wine, garlic, ginger, chilli, scallions, shiitake mushrooms and loofah. With rice.

 

59e9ebb83f453_reddrumsteamed.thumb.jpg.922360f8daeeca4883e17986f0453f2c.jpg

 

A tasty fish, but I easily ate the whole thing myself. Would need one per person if entertaining.

 

(With thanks to the people over on the Fish Identification topic.)

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@liuzhou I had always wondered about steaming fish with aromatics on the plate next to it.  Does the aroma/flavor of the chilis get into the fish, or do they just get cooked alongside for the purpose of being eaten with the fish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou I had always wondered about steaming fish with aromatics on the plate next to it.  Does the aroma/flavor of the chilis get into the fish, or do they just get cooked alongside for the purpose of being eaten with the fish?

 

If inserted into cuts in the flesh they do flavour the fish, but subtly. There is also garlic and ginger in the cavity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More succotash with the last of the meatloaf and some killer pickled asparagus from that farmstand.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mm84321  

 

a big WoW to you !

 

love that tartar sauce  

 

I used to make it my self from scratch  

 

back When

 

I had Soooo  fresh  fish

 

including wiggling soft shell  crabs 

 

Nice ! 

 

a kudos your way !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chili dog with fries.  The chili was from a can that I added a can of diced tomatoes to, along with some extra cumin.  The fries were done in the Air Fryer.

 

chili-dog-fires.jpg.4c6302edd303548464f367e66564cdb9.jpg

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chelo rice, khoresh bademjan, khoresht sabzi.

IMG_20171013_151236.thumb.jpg.66d24a8d458926b0ed08430398ec51a6.jpgIMG_20171013_151529.thumb.jpg.a5bd78d23ef55a74cbdaa0a84d8ac4fa.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×