• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 5)

Shelby

I made a recipe from the Tucci Cookbook - Milanese Casserole.  When I make it again, I'm leaving out the sausage and doubling the beef :)  Maybe cut the cabbage into bigger pieces

20170621_211611.jpg

• Like 14

Ground chuck "steak", mashed potatoes with sour cream, chives and beef gravy, corn on the cob. Then I made a chocolate mug cake for dessert and served it with whipped cream. Her cook time of 90 seconds was a bit too long for my microwave, so my cake was a tad dry. This was probably also due to me cutting the oil back to only 1TBSP. I saw that as an excellent excuse to break out my can of whipped cream. :B

Tomorrow will be leftover chicken cacciatore, one of my favorite meals.

• Like 9

> ^ . . ^ <

Tonight’s dinner was assorted leftovers and refrigerator clean out stuff:

DSCN7156.JPG.c6f0834d165b7bf39422fb5ac1473299.JPG

Fresh corn, baked beans (NOT black beans – they just got incredibly dark), Fig & Pig Pizza (fig preserves, prosciutto and gorgonzola) from last night’s dinner out, the rest of the Shrimp and Prosciutto pizza sans shrimp, bread from last night.

• Like 16

I forgot to take pictures...but you've seen all this before.   My son is in town for a few days and staying with us.  Tonight I made baby back ribs, smoked and char siu style, corn on the cob and compressed watermelon for dessert.

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

For the first time in my life, I think the heat of summer is affecting my appetite.  My air conditioner is all fixed and running like a champ so I don't know why I'm feeling this way, but I am.  And it's not even that hot here yet.  

Anyway, I wasn't hungry for anything yesterday except I craved cold shrimp cocktail.  So, my wonderful husband trekked to the big city and got me some nice shrimp.  

So, cold dinner last night--except for the cheesy toasts

594d1d5b15ea7_photo183.JPG.cdd59669bb2f719cf1b0d9fe59decb03.JPG

594d1d6693771_photo184.JPG.3a106907d967deaa2d1b6f7bb81624b0.JPG

• Like 15

On 21/06/2017 at 9:28 PM, koen said:

Past weekend I prepared my first crab! Taste was delicious, it was quite some work though.

That's why I always get the claws. These days I only get whole crabs in season when they are full of roe, then it's worth the work.

Eat a kilo of these every week, simply steamed. Also delicious in fried rice, wonton parcels and other things.

ycW7Q7J.jpg

• Like 15

Cuttlefish, Spanish-esque:

Valencia: with onions (and saffron powder)

Costa Blanca: with Picada (Catalan almond sauce).

pFvvueP.jpg

I ate this in Denia, just south of Valencia. Also works with squid.

jTsIzHn.jpg

----

My cheat versions of Chinese "white cut" chicken and soya sauce poached chicken. Got the poaching whole chicken idea from here. Tiny French poussins, 400g each. The cavity was stuffed with garlic, ginger and onions to keep its shape.

No cucumber, no green onions or coriander in the house. Only asparagus, tomatoes, rhubarb and various herbs from my garden so that's what I used.

1XJlCv9.jpg

There were Shaoxing wine and other things in the soya sauce. Reduced to 1/3 for dipping.

wRrHlsv.jpg

• Like 13

Mixed masala dosa with the traditional accompaniments, sambar (lentil vegetable stew), fresh coriander, coconut and tomato chutneys. There weren't enough potatoes in the house, so I padded the masala mix with cauliflower and fresh peas from the garden, worked a treat.

IMG_3730.thumb.JPG.a8888b69986b7c416d0bf87ccc66f14e.JPG

• Like 12

I have to go to Russia in a hurry tomorrow, my father's health issues are requiring my attendance.  Not a happy trip for many reasons.  But my will come with me, he is a lovely travel companion. 

My American dinner.

martini, only have one olive left (;

image.thumb.jpg.4c904c2310255743ba1ae710c978053d.jpg

Steak and potatoes.  I am so distraught that forgot to oil and salt potatoes prior to roasting.

image.thumb.jpg.6f2babf5803ded9efb7ec1004593eb01.jpg

• Like 3

image.jpeg.7afecf79659f5c0613b429df3f2e5d0a.jpeg

Expectations and appearances to the contrary, this is not posted in the wrong topic.  At least I can double dip to my heart's content. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I have to go to Russia in a hurry tomorrow, my father's health issues are requiring my attendance.  Not a happy trip for many reasons.  But my will come with me, he is a lovely travel companion. 

My American dinner.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822cc

Steak and potatoes.  I am so distraught that forgot to oil and salt potatoes prior to roasting.

I am so sorry, for your father's ill health.  Though I have to ask, what will be going with you?  Your husband, son, or cat?

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, chefmd said:

My American dinner.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822cc

Your meal looks lovely.  You and your father are in my prayers and best wishes.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg.7afecf79659f5c0613b429df3f2e5d0a.jpeg

Expectations and appearances to the contrary, this is not posted in the wrong topic.  At least I can double dip to my heart's content. 

When I was young my Grammy and I would have either nachos or just salsa and chips for dinner while watching movies.....my stand out memory of that is the first time I watched Gone With The Wind.....nachos with salsa and extra green chilis from a can with tons of cheese.  Heavenly and still one of my favorite movies.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Your meal looks lovely.  You and your father are in my prayers and best wishes.

Thank you.  I will resurrect back in the USSR post when I am there.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am so sorry, for your father's ill health.  Though I have to ask, what will be going with you?  Your husband, son, or cat?

My adult son ;).  No pets allowed in our building.  My husband is American and I can not expose him to the whole week of Russian immersion.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jacksoup said:

@chefmd  hope your travels are without problems and your father regains health

What @Jacksoup said.

Best wishes for safe travels and a good outcome. Will say a prayer.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Jump to content Don't feel bad, @rarerollingobject

I'm currently reading Antonio Carluccio's Pasta:

"Pennoni Giardiniera"

"I have to include this recipe, because it has become very well known, at least in Carluccio's restaurants.  Some years ago the personnel at the Ealing Carluccio's in London asked me if I could create a vegetarian dish with pasta.  I went immediately to the kitchen, where I found enough zucchinis and spinach to make a dish, matched them with pennoni (large pasta tubes from Puglia), and this is it.  It has been on the Carluccio's menu since then, and each time it is ordered, it collects approximately 75 cents (50p) for charity.  It has been so successful in those eight intervening years it has collected almost a million pounds!"

I wonder if anyone ever told Carluccio that Parmesan's not vegetarian?

Anyhow I was under the weather tonight and was not sure at all about dinner.  But once I had it in front of me it was lovely:  grilled pork chop, tater tots, thirty second green beans.  Applesauce with fresh ground mace, enough to induce a seizure.  Or at least hiccups.  Waiting for the anti-spasmodic pill to take effect.

I posted the above some while ago and I owe an apology.  According to Bugialli, parmesan was traditionally soured with cardoons, not animal rennet, and is still done so for the Jewish community in Italy.

That being said I rather doubt Carluccio is serving vegetarian parmesan in London.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou