• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 1)

Anna N

yzc toast.jpg

Is there anything more typically English than some nice toast (preferably home made) and marmalade, for breakfast? That is what I had this morning.

Except, there is nothing English about mine in the slightest.

I was shopping yesterday and spotted this:

yuzu tea.jpg

It is Korean yujucha (유자차), or yuzu tea. The Chinese name is 柚子茶 yòu zi chá, although that is technically a mistranslation. 柚子 yòu zi is 'pomelo', a different citrus fruit.

Whatever you call it, it is used to make 'teas' or cold drinks etc, by diluting it with water. However, as the instructions for use make clear, it also makes an excellent marmalade variation.

label.jpg

At first, I thought it was going to be too sweet for my tastes. The ingredients list says 28% sugar, but then the combined percentages in that list come to 117% :/. However, the acidity of the citrus cuts through the sweetness and leaves it well balanced. In other words, I like it.

yuzucha du.jpg

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou, I remember receiving a huge jar of that yuzu stuff from a Korean colleague who was worried about my cough.  I was instructed to mix it with hot water and drink it several times a day.  It was quite pleasant but I never thought to bring some home to put on toast.  

Nor did I think to add a glug of bourbon to the yuzu tea for, you know, medicinal purposes.  I may have to look for a jar so I can correct these oversights :D!

Taking a page from @chefmd's breakfast just above, I heated a little of yesterday's tomato soup, a handful of frozen spinach and some previously cooked little white alubia beans and topped it with a poached egg, some grated dry jack cheese and smoked paprika. 

IMG_4367.jpg

Perhaps not the most photogenic breakfast, but very satisfying.

• Like 9

In this case, the plate is prettier than the food but the food was good and satisfying!

IMG_0184.JPG

Burrito of leftover spicy black beans and taco meat, from last night's dinner, and shredded cheese. Wrapped in waxed paper and nuked in the micro for about a minute at low power, just enough to warm it through.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin

Wow !

made me think of TJ's frozen artichoke ' dip '    its very decadent  

On a Toastie using bread with good ' crumb ' ....

money-mouth.gif

I agree with you.  I cooked up the veg the other day for the spinach artichoke grilled cheese from Serious Eats but found the toastie variation quicker and more appealing.

It also got me thinking in your direction of using something like my warm mushroom-artichoke dip on a toastie - decadent indeed!

• Like 1

I used to make a Crab Dip :  Fz imitation crab ( i know )  + Stoffers Welch Rarebit ( Fz )  

if you wring out the water from the crab , and leave it in big chunks ...  served warm   ....

That would make a Fine Toastie !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

image.jpeg

Might look like plain jane among all the tempting breakfast belles but let me tell you that is home made butter on that muffin that a friend dropped off yesterday.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

43 minutes ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Might look like plain jane among all the tempting breakfast belles but let me tell you that is home made butter on that muffin that a friend dropped off yesterday.

Please excuse me for being over-confused, but did your friend drop off the butter or muffin?

Either way, it looks like something I'd be delighted to eat for breakfast or even now. Gone midnight.

Edited by liuzhou
to avoid being a complete idiot again (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

22 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Please excuse me for being over-confused, but did your friend drop off the butter or muffin?

Either way, it looks like something I'd be delighted to eat for breakfast or even now. Gone midnight.

Sorry I did not express myself very well. I was so excited. The muffin is store-bought. The butter was the gift. I apologize. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lovely breakfasts, everyone.  I’ve noticed that while I’ve been gone toasties have taken over.  Wonderful things!  I think that Cook’s Illustrated has finally solved my soft-boiled egg problem.  I gag at the sight of egg snot – the slightest bit of undercooked white puts me right off.  So I want whites done, but my yolks yielding.  I’ve tried every method and nothing consistently gives me what I want.  Until now.  You just put ½-inch of water in a saucepan and bring it to a boil over med-high heat.  You then put 1-6 eggs in the water and cover.  Cook for 6 ½ - 7 minutes and rinse to cool slightly.  Here’s my result with 7 minutes:

I think I can risk 6 ¾ minutes.  I’ve gotten this state of yolk every time I’ve done them and they could be slightly softer.  Served with good seeded rye toast.  The only problem with rye toast is that it is VERY crisp and hard to use to sop up the runny yolk!

DSCN6300.JPG

• Like 11

Feeling very sad that I'm not Moe :( but making due on a rainy morning here.  

Smoked tuna on toasted ciabatta and a mug of tomato soup:

IMG_4381.jpg

Best to start off with a sturdy breakfast since the day's events are sure to call for wine and whining :D!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 9