• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 1)

Anna N

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Do forgive my appalling ignorance but what is an Epi, home made or otherwise? Mr Google is telling me that is is an exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. I have no idea what that means but I'm fairly sure I don't want it for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

http://artisanbreadinfive.com/2008/02/22/how-to-form-the-pan-depi-wheat-stalk-bread

• Like 1

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Yes. One of a set of three I was given by a friend.

bn1.jpg

bn2.jpg

The breakfast one in my post is in the centre. The other two are plain white on the other side.

This all started a few years ago, but none of us can remember why. Two different friends regularly give me banana themed gifts ranging from pens to tissue paper holders! Anything banana! My home is becoming like a banana museum!

I don't supposed you'd unguardedly mentioned a longtime affection for The Velvet Underground? :P

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 05/01/2017 at 10:36 PM, chromedome said:

I don't supposed you'd unguardedly mentioned a longtime affection for The Velvet Underground? :P

While I do enjoy the occasional listen, I doubt that there more than three Chinese friends who would recognise them. I do possess the "banana album" and from time to time blast it across the Chinese countryside, but to little effect.

Edited by liuzhou
typo. while I do have fiendish friends, i was referring to the more sane ones. (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Well...little visible effect, anyway, but chaos theory suggests there could be implications. I think "European Son" would make a rather striking metaphorical butterfly, in any case. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

These beautiful farm fresh eggs made their way to my house sometime yesterday.

image.jpeg

I started out making an omelet but ended up with a frittata. 

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Felt like doing it up right this morning:

breakfast 0105.jpg

SV bacon, crisped in a skillet; scrambled eggs in the bacon fat; toast from my potato flax seed loaf in the freezer; pear preserves. Overseared the bacon a bit. Still good.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I saw a  mention somewhere around here from @shain about this Savory Cheese-Crusted French Toast With Garlic and Parmesan from Serious Eats and gave it a try this AM:

IMG_4313.jpg

I used slices of ciabatta.  On the side are some Brussels sprouts with pickled mustard seeds, cooked according to common sense rather than the recipe :$!

• Like 12

@blue_dolphin

you beat me to that savoury toast but watch out tomorrow morning when the reno on my dentition  is complete.xD

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@blue_dolphin

you beat me to that savoury toast but watch out tomorrow morning when the reno on my dentition  is complete.xD

I will be on the edge of my seat in anticipation!  

I thought it was really good.  My bread wasn't super fresh so I gave it a good soak in the egg/milk rather than a quick dip as might be surmised from the recipe.  I hesitated about mincing fresh garlic for breakfast and considered mushing up a clove of roasted garlic instead but I went for the fresh and it was the right choice.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I saw a  mention somewhere around here from @shain about this Savory Cheese-Crusted French Toast With Garlic and Parmesan from Serious Eats and gave it a try this AM:

IMG_4313.jpg

I used slices of ciabatta.  On the side are some Brussels sprouts with pickled mustard seeds, cooked according to common sense rather than the recipe :$!

That's my kind of food ... Thanks for the inspiration !

• Like 1

On 06/01/2017 at 2:12 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Maybe the banana-themed gifting trend was inspired by your beautiful banana plant?

No, it pre-dated the tree. But the tree was also a gift!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpeg

Savoury French toast a la Serious Eats. I found it a bit uninspiring until I dressed it with some leftover tomato vinaigrette that I had used on the lettuce.  

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Didn't cook dinner last night so before going to bed I seasoned the chicken legs with Sambal Oelek, garlic, salt, pepper, a little oil and the juice of a big lime.

Grilled_Chicken_Legs_January_6th,_2017.jpg

Grilled them this morning for Moe's breakfast.

Grilled Chicken Legs January 6th, 2017 2.jpg

Served with buttered rice and garnished with red onion, red peppers, cilantro and lime.

I'm going to take some to work for lunch.

• Like 10

There is only one potential breakfast for a snow day when one's daughter is home from work:

piggies.jpg

Pigs in blankets! The reason for Pillsbury crescent rolls in a tube to exist.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

They all do seem to ripen around the same time and that's a lot of bananas

Indeed. But I have a lot of friends and neighbours to share with!

Breakfast today. 刀削面 - dāo xiāo miàn or Knife Cut Noodles. In a local noodle place.

mmexport1483694978787.jpg

• Like 11

image.jpeg

It is very likely a slippery slope from enjoying a teaspoonful of brandy in one's blue cheese and walnut topped tartine to cocktails for breakfast. But I'm prpared to risk it. Thanks to Deborah Madison for the inspiration. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Indeed. But I have a lot of friends and neighbours to share with!

Breakfast today. 刀削面 - dāo xiāo miàn or Knife Cut Noodles. In a local noodle place.

mmexport1483694978787.jpg

YUM.  WANT.

• Like 3