• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 1)

Anna N

[Host's note: this topic continues a discussion from here.]

Over here I note that I have re-engaged with Hugh's Three Good Things. This is a riff off his BLT. No compact lettuce in my crisper drawers but one very sorry looking Belgian endive did the job.  The bacon is Ruhlman's home cured.  Next time I will seek out a different flavour profile.  The English muffin is home-made but not altogether successful. 

image.jpeg

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We had steak last night. The deck was a skating rink so I chose to stay inside and use the broiler. Rare, broiled steak is no prize to look at so I also chose not to take any pictures. It looked a little better as a steak sandwich for breakfast, though.

HC

IMG_0640.JPGIMG_0643.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 13

Turkey congee.

I made stock with the carcass of our roasted turkey Trev and a few slices of ginger.

The congee is dressed with ham shreds, fried shallots and a splash of soy. 

It was smooth.

IMG_3128.JPG

• Like 9

I have a husband who would love every one of these breakfasts.   

Not being as big a fan of eggs as Moe, I'm wishing I had Sartoric's  congee or Rarerollingobject's sausage rolls with a side of Chefmd's potato latkes. 

Made Moe one of his favourite breakfasts 

Scrambled egg and roast beef January 2nd, 2017 1.jpg

Leftover Prime Rib from last night with scrambled eggs. 

• Like 13

I have refrained from posting any meals since New Year's Day. I ordered in Chinese at lunchtime and have eaten it for every meal since.  I swore the last time that I would never do it again but I caved on New Year's Day. Then I felt obliged to justify my stupidity by not wasting any of it. There is a tiny bit of fried rice left and perhaps two bites of beef and broccoli. Whether I will eat these or not remains to be seen. I AM SICK OF CHINESE FOOD. 

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Bravely dragged myself out of bed to make a wee snack of apricots, brushed in pistachio oil and char grilled before being roasted with honey, vanilla bean, crushed amaretti biscuits, a slug of Amaretto and some flowering thyme.

Eaten with a lady-like scoop of pistachio gelato and crushed roasted pistachios.

Interestingly, both the amaretti and Amaretto themselves are made from apricot kernels, adding an extra apricotty, slightly almondy note to the whole affair.

IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

• Like 10

A regular breakfast at my in-laws in Catalunya: fairly typical choice of sweet breads (ensaimada, empanadas, croissants, coca), some local cheeses and cured meats. An omelet with onions and some left-over jamon bits ("truita de ceba"). All eaten with the ubiquitous bread with tomato, olive oil and salt. Strong coffee. Good start in the day :D

(please disregard the horrible tablecloth)

image.jpg

• Like 10

It is rather challenging to disregard the tablecloth but I think it's growing on me.

image.jpeg

Toastie. Cheese, tomato, red and green onions. Refreshing change from re-heated Chinese take out. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

A regular breakfast at my in-laws in Catalunya: fairly typical choice of sweet breads (ensaimada, empanadas, croissants, coca), some local cheeses and cured meats. An omelet with onions and some left-over jamon bits ("truita de ceba"). All eaten with the ubiquitous bread with tomato, olive oil and salt. Strong coffee. Good start in the day :D

image.jpg

Looks good. I'd like to be "penciled in" for the next one.

HC

• Like 5

I'm probably boring you all to tears with this, but I had 小笼包 xiǎo lóng bāo again. I knew it was going to be a slippery slope when that woman opened a xiǎo lóng bāo shop almost next door!

Served with that traditional Chinese accompaniment, strong black coffee.

breakfast.jpg

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I knew it was going to be a slippery slope when that woman opened a xiǎo lóng bāo shop almost next door!

That woman  xD

Do not worry about boring us. At least, no me - I just keep thinking how lovely it would be to have a xiao long bao shop within walking distance!  

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Duvel said:

I wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it — I always have my eyes clearly focused on food!!! xD

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

Are those bananas on the coffee cup? 

Yes. One of a set of three I was given by a friend.

bn1.jpg

bn2.jpg

The breakfast one in my post is in the centre. The other two are plain white on the other side.

This all started a few years ago, but none of us can remember why. Two different friends regularly give me banana themed gifts ranging from pens to tissue paper holders! Anything banana! My home is becoming like a banana museum!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Duvel said:

a home-made Epi

Do forgive my appalling ignorance but what is an Epi, home made or otherwise? Mr Google is telling me that is is an exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. I have no idea what that means but I'm fairly sure I don't want it for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

• Like 1

Revisited the quick zaatar bread. I've added diced tomato and some Edam cheese (in addition to the greek yogurt and zaatar). Cooked in a pan with olive oil until browned crisp.

Along with a few sliced veggies.

20170105_130737.jpg20170105_130745.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.