• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's New in Kitchen Gadgets?

Kerry Beal

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

If it was made prior to 1960, then no.  After 1960 one choice MFGs have is a sticker. Most likely the sticker would have been long since removed.

The WMF was brand new sold by amazon.uk.  No sticker, no country markings.  I wasn't interested where the old aluminum ricer was made.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, natasha1270 said:

This Limited Edition All Black KitchenAid Stand Mixer is giving me life right now. If only I had a spare $1k laying around...

Yes, but do the all black parts go in the dishwasher?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

...$999 for the 325-watt mixer? That's some serious marketing chutzpah, right there...

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, quiet1 said:

... I kind of want one just so it can loom ominously on the countertop.

Now, if it could also play the Death Star theme while looming ominously, well, it might just be worth a grand.

• Like 7

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Hey, anybody know what this is?  The photo was sent to me via our Facebook page from a lady who was wondering what it is and how to use it.  With the scissors hands I'm a bit confused, but the baskets on the top of the contraption almost make it look like it's used for separating yolks from whole eggs?16144075_10210696015131880_1634895540_n.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Ross said:

Hey, anybody know what this is?  The photo was sent to me via our Facebook page from a lady who was wondering what it is and how to use it.  With the scissors hands I'm a bit confused, but the baskets on the top of the contraption almost make it look like it's used for separating yolks from whole eggs?16144075_10210696015131880_1634895540_n.png

Tongs for pulling pasta out of the water, maybe? Or the weirdest salad tongs I ever saw in my life.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:45 PM, pastrygirl said:

That was suggested, was it confirmed?

When that reply was posted it sounded very definitive and wasn't questioned by anyone so I think the rest of us assume that it was a correct answer. Setting a tuna can inside of it to see if it said would certainly confirm that.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I have done a lot of searching on the internet to try and identify this item. It doesn't come up when searching "tuna ...", nor is it to be found "As seen on TV." I have checked items for people with disabilities and several "unique kitchen gadgets" sites. It will be interesting if it is ever identified.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 1 month later...

This may not be new, exactly.  I've seen and read about things like this before and thought they were bound to be useless. However, earlier this week I was in Bed, Bath and Beyond with a 20% Off Entire Purchase burning a hole in my pocket.  I was looking for, oh, a food processor or kitchen scale that I couldn't resist.  I didn't find anything big or even pricey, but I found this:

20170322_143035.jpg

Huh.  $5.  Worth a try.  (No, I did not use the wonderful coupon to bring it down to $3.  I still have hopes for that coupon.) 5 bucks seemed a small enough risk for another gadget that might or might not work.

It made short work of the parsley for that night's dinner: much shorter than my painstaking finger technique, and much neater than my slapdash knife technique.

20170320_183017.jpg

Next time I have kale or collards, I'll post about it here.

• Like 9

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I can I like it without actually wanting one, can't I. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

At the 2017 IHHS show, there were many new gadgets.  Most were unremarkable.

One that intrigued me was the West Blade grater line recently introduced by Lifetime Brands/Sabatier (It's exclusive with W-S for the time being).  They're "tineless", meaning there are no raised teeth or serrations.  They do not feel sharp at all--the holes seem to be just holes.  You can run your fingers over/across the business end and they won't grab you.

Two things about them I found really cool:  (1)  the citrus grater will grate the peel but not into the pith; and (2) they cut just as well in both directions, so you can use a back-and-forth motion.

Most gadget makers have jumped on the water- and insulated-bottle bandwagon bigtime.  Considering you can make, ship and distribute them for $2 and sell them for $25, who wouldn't want some of that?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched an infomercial for this Sushi Shooter .  Any takers?  :D

(yes, I should be cleaning out a closet instead of laying in bed watching horse racing with my laptop and two cats at 1:04 pm on a Sunday)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Just watched an infomercial for this Sushi Shooter .  Any takers?  :D

(yes, I should be cleaning out a closet instead of laying in bed watching horse racing with my laptop and two cats at 1:04 pm on a Sunday)

Sunday's are for everything you are doing EXCEPT watching  infomercials for sushi shooters. 

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday morning, walking in the open market. I found this sandwich presser.

Perfect to my cubanos.

In Brazil we have a pressed sandwich called Bauru, but the bread and the chape are diferent.

IMG_20170423_110031229_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170423_110000522_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170423_105948372_HDR.jpg

Edited by Auro (log)
  • Like 6

Learning

When I was a Girl Scout and we went to camp, we'd use a similar sandwich press to make what we called mountain pie: two slices of squishy white sandwich bread, with canned pie filling between, toasted in the fire.

They ruined toasted sandwiches of all kinds for me, for years afterward.

• Like 7

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Was cleaning out some phone pics and came across these that I took at bed, bath and beyond that I meant to add to this thread...

The stalkchop and coconut opener:

IMG_3261.thumb.JPG.5bcd2b5f950e6b0913d20e4c0db90a49.JPGIMG_3262.thumb.JPG.56fd7d01e66ceae05e336da98d706e17.JPG

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
  • Like 6
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I came across this one just yesterday.

Because I'm such a sucker for any kind of kitchen tool, I actually considered ordering it....I found it available at another site for $75.00 US.

However the reviews on Amazon aren't all that good.

Edited by lindag (log)

30 minutes ago, lindag said:

Because I'm such a sucker for any kind of kitchen tool, I actually considered ordering it....I found it available at another site for $75.00 US.

I might consider it provided there is a Meat Bullet also.  This would help me overcome my paranoia about cross-contamination.xDxDxD

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, lindag said:

However the reviews on Amazon aren't all that good.

I have had one of these for ages. Tough and cheap.

Cuisinart Mini-Prep Plus DLC-2A Processorir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B0000645Y

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, natasha1270 said:

Was cleaning out some phone pics and came across these that I took at bed, bath and beyond that I meant to add to this thread...

The stalkchop...

IMG_3261.thumb.JPG.5bcd2b5f950e6b0913d20e4c0db90a49.JPG

Interesting but useless if you already have knife skills and a good chef's knife. There's a video of it, sort of in action, on Amazon, but it failed to sell me on the thingy.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

14 hours ago, gfweb said:

I have had one of these for ages. Tough and cheap.

Cuisinart Mini-Prep Plus DLC-2A Processorir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B0000645Y

I've had one for years. I got it at Costco as a "premium" when I bought a Cuisinart slow cooker.  

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett