Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Foodblog: Megan Blocker - Trading Pumas for Uggs

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
210 replies to this topic

#181 donbert

donbert
  • participating member
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

For Don, a blueberry creation (made with my favorite - Bonne Maman jam) that the bartenders have been playing with.

Posted Image

This is actually a cocktail that Johnder has been working on. He had brought in the jam earlier last night to get feed back form the bartenders and try it with the Los Amates Mescals.

#182 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:46 AM

For Don, a blueberry creation (made with my favorite - Bonne Maman jam) that the bartenders have been playing with.

Posted Image

This is actually a cocktail that Johnder has been working on. He had brought in the jam earlier last night to get feed back form the bartenders and try it with the Los Amates Mescals.

View Post

Go John! Sorry, I thought they'd been developing it for John...it has inspired me, I want to work on it too...though I may have to add cinnamon, since I love love love cinnamon with blueberry.
"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#183 foodite

foodite
  • participating member
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:49 AM

I'm still dreaming of that Bo Ssam from last night. Lucky for donbert and me, we have leftovers to indulge on. mmm.

We did much better than I thought we would, given 2 people didn't even really eat meat, though I'm sure that whole butt has converted them both to the world of swine.

#184 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:52 AM

I'm still dreaming of that Bo Ssam from last night.  Lucky for donbert and me, we have leftovers to indulge on.  mmm.

We did much better than I thought we would, given 2 people didn't even really eat meat, though I'm sure that whole butt has converted them both to the world of swine.

View Post

I KNEW we could get you to post! :wink:

Mmmmm...porky pork pork. Swine, indeed.
"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#185 Gastro888

Gastro888
  • participating member
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:54 AM

So Megan, where are you going in Chinatown to eat? Have you given it any thoughts? Do tell!

#186 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

So Megan, where are you going in Chinatown to eat?  Have you given it any thoughts?  Do tell!

View Post

Chinatown was supposed to be today, but I just didn't have time (or stomach capacity - this week has been a lot more food than I eat on a regular basis)...we'll see what happens tomorrow, since tonight is already planned (Degustation)!

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#187 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

Posted Image

View Post

Go John! Sorry, I thought they'd been developing it for John...it has inspired me, I want to work on it too...though I may have to add cinnamon, since I love love love cinnamon with blueberry.

View Post

Lol! I posted the recipe as it stands now here.

I am really digging the mescal/rye combo. And after having 3 of them last night, I am happy to report no ill side affects.

John
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#188 hhlodesign

hhlodesign
  • participating member
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

Tomorrow promises to be an excellent day...lunch will be light, thanks to tonight's meal and also to tomorrow night's.  I'm meeting a few other foodie types for the Bo Ssam at Momofuku Ssam Bar!  So don't go too far if you want details...

View Post

Yeah!!!! :biggrin:

ETA: Oops that was me (Henry). Someone keeps logging in from my computer :hmmm:

View Post

I did it for you, Henry. :wink:

View Post

You're awesome Megan!

Having experienced Momofuku with the Donbert myself, I know what an incredible experience you must have had. Thanks for sharing it with us. Was it crowded? Having read the New York Mag article, I was a bit worried about the demise of Momofuku Ssam. But I feel that the cream always rises to the top and was not overly concerened. What were your favorites. I still contend that the 3 terrine bahn mi is the best sandwich I have ever had. How juicy was the Bershire Pork Butt? Did you ask how they cooked it? How many hours?

thanks Megan!

#189 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:26 PM

Megan, does that butt roast seem like something we could copy at home? It's really a nice idea, wrapping it up with an oyster. Any idea of the recipe?

#190 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:46 PM

Posted Image

View Post

View Post

right on!! thanks so much Megan! but now I need more commentary on D&Co please. did you like the place? who was bartending when you were there? what didn't you like about it?? what is the vibe?

#191 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the handwriting sample, Megan, although your list is not the kind of daily list I did (I don't note any references to paintbrushes or drywalling).

Jane Austen. Sigh. I had the good fortune in college to take a course (senior seminar) devoted solely to her works, and the prof who taught the class could have been Jane herself. I recently replaced my nightstand with a bookshelf, and her books sit proudly there, along with a boatload of cookbooks.

So, let's get to that blueberry cocktail. We will head north for a Big Birthday for me this summer, and it will be blueberry season. Tell me more, and what you would change about it (except the pinch of cinnamon).

Luscious looking dinner last night. My next butt will be paired with oysters. Can you tell me more about the flavour of the pork and the rub?
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#192 MarketStEl

MarketStEl
  • participating member
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:02 PM

I imagine that in the course of your jam-packed life (kinda rivals my own), you overlooked this post, but I am curious to know whether the Pommery of the champagne is the same Pommery that produces the coarse-grained mustard.

You may also share your opinion of Clueless if you wish, but that's purely optional.
Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia
"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen
My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

#193 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for the handwriting sample, Megan, although your list is not the kind of daily list I did (I don't note any references to paintbrushes or drywalling).

Jane Austen.  Sigh.  I had the good fortune in college to take a course (senior seminar) devoted solely to her works, and the prof who taught the class could have been Jane herself.  I recently replaced my nightstand with a bookshelf, and her books sit proudly there, along with a boatload of cookbooks.

So, let's get to that blueberry cocktail.  We will head north for a Big Birthday for me this summer, and it will be blueberry season.  Tell me more, and what you would change about it (except the pinch of cinnamon).

Luscious looking dinner last night.  My next butt will be paired with oysters.  Can you tell me more about the flavour of the pork and the rub?

View Post

We-ell, if I had to put bets on it, I'd say the rub was pepper, salt, some star anise, and maybe some cloves...Don may have more insights. It also seemed to be crisped slightly and then roasted/braised for a long time on low heat...I think they use convection/steam ovens, so they can probably do it in half the time it would take me in my little conventional oven.

Blueberry cocktail...John's recipe calls for some ingredients that are not readily available in the Blocker household...I might modify it to Bourbon instead of rye, a bit more lemon, and a touch of cinnamon. Perhaps not as sophisticated, but mighty good. With fresh blueberries, the added sweet smokiness of the bourbon would be welcome, I think!

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#194 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:26 AM

Megan, does that butt roast seem like something we could copy at home?  It's really a nice idea, wrapping it up with an oyster.  Any idea of the recipe?

View Post

Hey, Abra!

Check out my most recent post in reply to Snowangel...I think it's definitely at least somewhat replicable...the oysters we had were awfully salty and briny...slightly rounder flavor would not be a bad thing, IMO.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#195 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:28 AM

Tomorrow promises to be an excellent day...lunch will be light, thanks to tonight's meal and also to tomorrow night's.  I'm meeting a few other foodie types for the Bo Ssam at Momofuku Ssam Bar!  So don't go too far if you want details...

View Post

Yeah!!!! :biggrin:

ETA: Oops that was me (Henry). Someone keeps logging in from my computer :hmmm:

View Post

I did it for you, Henry. :wink:

View Post

You're awesome Megan!

Having experienced Momofuku with the Donbert myself, I know what an incredible experience you must have had. Thanks for sharing it with us. Was it crowded? Having read the New York Mag article, I was a bit worried about the demise of Momofuku Ssam. But I feel that the cream always rises to the top and was not overly concerened. What were your favorites. I still contend that the 3 terrine bahn mi is the best sandwich I have ever had. How juicy was the Bershire Pork Butt? Did you ask how they cooked it? How many hours?

thanks Megan!

View Post

It was not too crowded...plenty of spaces at the bar all night (we left around 9:30 or 10:00). The butt was super-tender, though I don't know if I'd call it juicy, per se. It was falling apart and flavorful, but not oozing. That said, there was a nice pool of fat on the bottom of the plate by the time we were done. Oh, my.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#196 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:32 AM

I imagine that in the course of your jam-packed life (kinda rivals my own), you overlooked this post, but I am curious to know whether the Pommery of the champagne is the same Pommery that produces the coarse-grained mustard.

You may also share your opinion of Clueless if you wish, but that's purely optional.

View Post

As far as I know, Sandy, the Pommery's of the mustard are separate from the Pommery's of the champagne...though I could certainly be wrong. I know the famed Louise Pommery married into the name and convinced the family to stay in the wine business after her husband's death...

Clueless: best film adaptation of Emma in existence - true to the themes and characters of the original, and you actually like the central character, as opposed to in the Gwyneth Paltrow version. Plus, you know, lots of interesting food at the drive for the hurricane victims (gotta keep it food-related, folks. :wink:).

Edited by Megan Blocker, 17 February 2007 - 12:40 AM.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#197 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:33 AM

So, just back from a fabulous evening...Degustation, Room4Dessert, and Temple Bar, all with Daniel and the lovely Alicia. I will post more in the morning, once my coffee is brewing. For now, bonne nuit, mes amis.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#198 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:16 AM

Last night, I went to Degustation with Daniel and Alicia...we met up at 8:00 for our 8:00 reservation, and waited about 10 or 15 minutes to be seated. This happened the last time I was at Degustation (toward August, I think), and I'm disappointed that they haven't worked the kinks out yet. That said, they were very gracious about the whole thing.

Chloe works the whole 16-seat bar, and knows everything there is to know about the food and the wines that work best with it. She told us about the specials, took our drink order, and left us to debate the menu. Daniel and I started with Black Velvets, Guinness with Cava - I really liked them, sort of the flavor of Guinness without the heaviness.

Posted Image

Alicia went with a classic Kir Royale.

Posted Image

For our first course, we shared the croquetas, which remain one of my favorite things on the menu. Corn, bacon, creaminess...the mayo they're served with is quite onion-y, as Daniel pointed out, and is a nice, sharp counterpoint to the rich croquettes.

Posted Image

I had the tortillas, which are soft and wrapped around a quail egg and some shallot confit, topped with a slice pickled jalapeno...these, too, play nicely on the contrast of rich flavors with the pungent, tangy pepper.

Posted Image

Alicia had the long-poached egg (45 minutes at 63 Celsius, according to Chloe), served with smoked cheese foam, ham, and a crispy asparagus stalk. The play of textures here is great...everyone I know who's tried this one has loved it.

Posted Image

Daniel, being a wild and crazy guy, went for the salad - beets with arugula, I believe!

Posted Image

For the middle course, Alicia and I both had the sweetbreads, served crispy with dill yogurt sauce...these were really fresh, with a bit of cilantro on the plate, too.

Posted Image

Daniel had the squid, and I tried it for the first time. Loved it! It's rich and meaty, and it brings life to the lentils...

Posted Image

Finally, course three. I had the crispy pork belly, another perennial favorite...it's served with more of the pickled jalapeno, a sherry vinegar reduction, and some pickled scallions....ooooh, I love the balance of fatty and pungent here...

Posted Image

Alicia had the suckling pig special, which was rich, tender and oh-so-porky.

Posted Image

Daniel went for the other special, a lamb loin with beet sauce, and a hash brown with a poached quail egg. This was wonderful - it tasted of lamb mixed with essence of bacon...

Posted Image

It was a fabulous meal, and when it was over, we headed out, into a cab, and over to Room4Dessert!

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#199 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:06 AM

Well, it looks like the Chinatown wish is coming true! I'm about to walk out of the house to head down to Bayard Street, where I'll be meeting a few other eGulleters at Yeah Shanghai...full report this afternoon, along with the end of last night's festivities (and D&Co. commentary, Ms. Foodie!)

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#200 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:01 PM

After dinner at Degustation, we decided to hit Room 4 Dessert for (what elese) dessert! We were seated in the middle of the bar, and Mia and Will took good care of us. I started with the whisky coca glass, which had a vanilla cream, whisky caviar, caramel popcorn/crackerjack and cola sorbet...so tasty, and such neat texture combinations.

Posted Image

Alicia had the chocububbles, with warm chocolate mousse, apricot, and some cocoa crispies.

Posted Image

Dan had the white chocolate margarita, with tarragon yogurt...

Posted Image

For our tastings, Alicia had the voyage to India (!), which I somehow managed to miss out on photographing! :sad: Dan had the infance, which was so much fun...cotton candy, sponge cookie, marshmallows...

Posted Image

I had the plat du jour, a nutella-themed dessert, with homemade chocolate hazelnut spread, brioche, a lemon cloud with crispies, and a ridiculously tasty ice cream, all boozy and good.

Posted Image

We had some cocktails, too...the La Fleur (gin, rose water, and maybe lemon?) was really good...it tasted like drinking roses, but in a good, gentler way.

After that, we headed to Pravda for some vodka, but it was so crowded that we couldn't even stomach getting past the coat check. We turned tail and popped into Temple Bar for a quick one with some of Dan's friends, and ended up with saketinis...look at all the cucumber! :biggrin: One long ribbon of cuke in each glass (sort of - some were stubbier than others). Some popcorn on the side...

Posted Image

Posted Image

All in all, a good, long night...I'm still recovering! Lunch today helped a lot...am preparing a full report as the blog's grand finale...I think lunch in Chinatown is a good segue into our other ongoing blog! :biggrin:

Edited by Megan Blocker, 17 February 2007 - 03:04 PM.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#201 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:08 PM

And how could I forget one of the cooler pics from last night? Daniel took this of the two of us (the two on the left...) reflected in the pans on the wall at Room4Dessert...

Posted Image

ETA: Let me just state, for the record, what an excellent time we had last night! The night went from totally civilized to completely crazy when Daniel's friends showed up at Room 4 Dessert, which was kind of a neat twist...much more exciting than just going to dinner.

Other fun things that happened...while we were waiting for our table at Degustation, another two people were waiting for theirs. One of those two people turned out to be someone I went to high school with in New Hampshire, who I haven't seen for 10 years. CRAZY! Such a fun, New York night.

Edited by Megan Blocker, 17 February 2007 - 03:12 PM.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#202 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:33 PM

Megan, do you know whether Room4Dessert makes its own cocoa crispies, crackerjack, and nutella or uses commercial brands thereof?

#203 Rebecca263

Rebecca263
  • participating member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:34 PM

Megan, you had some cucumber!
Thank you for taking us with you this week. Thanks for eating so much for us! You're always the best of guides; following you around is such fun! Have a great trip, and be well.
More Than Salt
Visit Our Cape Coop Blog
Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma
Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

#204 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:38 PM

Yay cucumber, Megan!
This is an incredibly good blog, Megan... one that I've been looking forward to for a long time! It's dream food.
Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

#205 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

Megan you've done another great blog- thank you!

#206 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:31 PM

Megan, your's will be a tough act to follow.. thanks for showing us some wonderful place in NYC.

#207 SuzySushi

SuzySushi
  • participating member
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:36 PM

Megan, thank you so much for blogging! This is certainly a different view of the NYC food scene than what I had when I last lived there (16 years ago) or visited there (6 years ago). Wow!
SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."
My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

#208 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:10 PM

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you've enjoyed it...next time may be cooking only...I'm exhausted! :wink:

Lunch today was something else...I met up with Emma (luckylies), Phil (eatmywords), Nathan (um, nathan), Phil's girlfriend Michelle, Larry (larrylee), and his wife, Yumi at New Yeah Shanghai Deluxe on Bayard Street in Chinatown.

Posted Image

Chinatown is always busy, particularly on the weekends, but with the New Year starting tomorrow, things were even more crowded than usual. Walking east on Canal Street was a bit of a nightmarish obstacle course - though, obvs. totally worth it.

Nathan was a bit late, so the rest of us ordered some appetizers to get the blood flowing - TsingTao was the beverage of choice, along with some water, Diet Coke and tea.

First up, soup dumplings...juicy and rich, one order of crab and one order of pork...

Posted Image

Second, some spicy oxtail and tripe, alongside some scallion pancakes, piping hot from the fryer.

Posted Image

The oxtail was really good...spicy and meaty, served cold.

Next, because, after all, this IS the year of the pig we're celebrating here, we had some fried pork dumplings...

Posted Image

Served with black vinegar and ginger sauce, these were rich and hot, and the wrappers were tender and not too chewy - very good dumplings.

In between the two courses, we did these...eight jewels (God forgive me, I don't remember everything in there, but there was chicken, bean curd, peppers, peanuts...) and some excellent spicy cabbage, served cold. Just this side of fermentation, it had an excellent fizzy bite to it.

Posted Image

Finally, the mains! We got one noodle dish, pan-fried noodles with beef, shrimp, pork and vegetables. Good, but nothing out of this world.

Posted Image

We also ordered these teeny tiny eels with scallions...I liked this dish, but I wasn't in love...maybe it was a texture thing - the sauce made the whole thing just slippery.

Posted Image

Finally, the tamp po pork - pork belly in a five-spice sauce, with baby bok choy and served with steamed buns. Soooo good and rich, though I've definitely hit my slow-roasted, falling-apart pork limit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think we did a pretty good job, don't you?

Posted Image

(P.S. - Emma REALLY likes soup dumplings...)

Posted Image

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#209 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:12 PM

Megan, the eel dish that I really like at Yeah is from the specialties menu. The waiter puts boiling sesame oil into just before it's served, and it comes with Chinese chives. I'm sorry I wasn't there because I would have suggested some other mains, but it seems to me you did pretty well. Yeah's cold dishes are generally very good. Your picks were good, but since you've had them, try the beef tendon, the kao fu (whatever they're calling it now), and the seaweed next time. I love that look of delectation on Emma's face! :biggrin:

#210 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,453 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:51 PM

Posted Image

View Post

mmmmmmmm...Purell!! A true NYC experience.
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog