Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Buttercream Expiration Times

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:31 PM

I have some buttercream in my fridge and am wondering how long it is good for. Also - do I just need to let it sit out and whip it up a little bit to spreading consistancy or does it need something added to it? Ta!

#2 Qui

Qui
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:48 PM

Just let it soften at room temp, then beat it till smooth and spreadable consistency.

#3 Sugarella

Sugarella
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:50 PM

What kind of buttercream is it? The original ingredients will determine the shelf life.

As for using it, bring back to room temp and just blend it. Don't whip; otherwise you'll whip more air into it and it won't be the spreadable consistency you're looking for.

#4 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

What kind of buttercream is it? The original ingredients will determine the shelf life.

As for using it, bring back to room temp and just blend it. Don't whip; otherwise you'll whip more air into it and it won't be the spreadable consistency you're looking for.

View Post

butter, 10x, milk, vanilla

#5 Sugarella

Sugarella
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:04 PM

View Post

That's fine for a couple of weeks, provided the milk wasn't close to expiry when you used it.

#6 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:09 PM

View Post

That's fine for a couple of weeks, provided the milk wasn't close to expiry when you used it.

View Post

I think its actually a little older than that. I tasted a little bit and it doesn't taste 'off' but it tastes much sweeter than I remember - nauseatingly so. Thanks, Sugarella - I think I'd better toss it.

#7 Mayhaw Man

Mayhaw Man
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:55 PM

You could just cover it tightly with a layer of fondant and call it a wedding cake. Everyone else does. :wink:
Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...