Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

good wine on a student budget

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mirandar

Mirandar
  • participating member
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for being here! I live for NYT on wednesdays ! :biggrin:

I love wine and I'm even thinking of studying it after college. Of course on my college student budget, I can't afford super expensive. Or actually, I can't afford anything not cheap. I was curious to know if there are any general guidelines for buying at least decent wines for under $10. I've heard Austrailian wines are often a good bet as well as Chilean? I'd love your input! Thanks !

#2 Eric Asimov

Eric Asimov
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:17 PM

You know, in a way it's liberating to be on a tight budget. Your options are limited but you can experiment freely.

$10 and under is not an easy category to find wines of distinction, but there are some out there. I remember a year or two ago finding a decent barbera from Michele Chiarlo. You used to be able to find decent beaujolais and the occasional good Vouvray -- Montfort was one such label. I think with the rise of the euro, though, this may not be true anymore.
Australian wines are tough, as so many of the inexpensive ones are those brandname wine products. They don't taste too bad but they're not always good for the spirit.

#3 phatbastard

phatbastard
  • legacy participant
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:35 PM

If you have access to wines from the Niagara region of Ontario, you have a few relatively cheap options at your disposal. Vineland Estates, Peller Estates, and Cave Springs are some notable wineries offering inexpensive bangs for your buck. I find Riesling from the NOL (Niagara on the Lake) gorgeous, and pinot noir tends to be of high quality as well. If you can find a Viognier from any Niagara winery, snap it up as fast as you can. The grape seems to really prosper here.

Cheers, and good luck!

#4 Mirandar

Mirandar
  • participating member
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for your input! To the store I go! :)

#5 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:58 PM

Mirandar, many of us have been there and have learned a lot about wine in the process. So have fun.

I've found some reliable wines in that price point from:

- southern France, esp. Cote de Rhones
- Spain (reds) and Portugal (whites)
- South Africa, esp. meritages (red) and sauvignon blancs

Get to know your local wine shops, ask questions. The good ones will have some decent choices in your price range and will be happy to recommend them. If they don't, shop somewhere else.

Though I am loyal to my favorite local wine merchants, I would be interested in Eric Asimov's thoughts and advice about buying wine over the Internet. So many wines from the west coast never find their way to retail outlets in the east.

#6 Mirandar

Mirandar
  • participating member
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:33 PM

Lindak~
thanks for the advice, also! I will give some of those a try!

#7 jayt90

jayt90
  • participating member
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:16 AM

One currently available South African red getting great reviews is
Porcupine Ridge 2003. It sells for $13 in Ontario, $10 in New York, and 6.5pd in London. It is a shiraz based blend.
I'm getting some for current drinking, but I'll be watching the winery year to year.

#8 300rwhp

300rwhp
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:46 AM

What is a meritage i think you mean pinotage and as for porcupine ridge i think it comes from someone else and is not the name of the winery i think it is boekenhoutskloof which makes many nice wines. For the price point i would see if you can find anything from thelema also from south africa

#9 phatbastard

phatbastard
  • legacy participant
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:09 PM

No, meritage and pinotage are two entirely different wines.

Pinotage refers to a South African grape derived from the French grapes pinot noir and cinsault.

Meritage wines are modeled after French Bordeaux wines like Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.

#10 jayt90

jayt90
  • participating member
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:53 PM

Meritage wines are modeled after French Bordeaux wines like Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.

View Post

Cabernet Sauvigon, Merlot, and Cinsault. A classic Meritage usually contains at least three of the grapes allowed in Bordeaux.

#11 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:31 PM

What is a meritage i think you mean pinotage

No, meritage and pinotage are two entirely different wines.

Thanks, you are both correct. The South African wines I wanted to steer Mirinadar towards are the pinotages. Meritages are also worth exploring but (from what I know) are not indiginous to South Africa and definitely not in the student budget category.

#12 jayt90

jayt90
  • participating member
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:29 PM

as for porcupine ridge i think it comes from someone else and is not the name of the winery i think it is boekenhoutskloof which makes many nice wines.  For the price point i would see if you can find anything from thelema also from south africa

View Post

Porcupine Ridge Syrah 2003 is the wine that boekenhoutskloof is releasing around the world now, and is worth looking for based on reviews and word of mouth.

Can you suggest any current or past wines from Thelema?