Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Best Cookbooks for Beginners

Cookbook Reference

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 ojisan

ojisan
  • participating member
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

Jaques Pépin's "Cooking w/ Claudine" series is accessible and good.

Also Alice Water's "Art of Simple Food".

Monterey Bay area

#122 Bernoulli

Bernoulli
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

"The Theory and Practice of Good Cooking" by James Beard.  First published in 1977, it remains my favorite basic cookbook.  We've worn out our first copy and continue to use the second copy.  It's far superior to the plethora of "basic" cookbooks that came out 10-15 years ago.

• gfweb likes this

#123 SLB

SLB
  • participating member
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:59 PM

The book that changed my game from stir-fried-whatever-veg-plus-boneless-chicken-breast to genuinely recognizable meals was Pierre Franey, "The 60-Minute Gourmet."  I have no idea whether it's still in print, or has been adapted to our retreat from butter in such doses; but my guess would be that the flavor principles hold, and you will finish the book knowing how to get a bona fide meal on the table, with no mail-order ingredients involved.  

Edited by SLB, 26 February 2015 - 07:00 PM.

• Smithy and gfweb like this

#124 rane008

rane008
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:57 AM

Older version of Joy of Cooking is a great idea.  You can find a recipe in there for almost anything.   However, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned James Peterson's Cooking http://www.amazon.co...tterson cooking

From a practical perspective, it has excellent and extensive illustrations and photographs for all sorts of techniques.  Check it out.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook, Reference