Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Wine for Beginners

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 AnnaMag

AnnaMag
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

It sounds like you made some nice choices!

I am a wine lover who also works in the business (working on behalf of a number of wineries) so I have had a chance to try quite a few wines and talk to a lot of people about what they like. I have found that some great wines for beginners who are not quite sure where to begin are wine blends, and in your case, red blends. Some good ones I have had the fortune of trying recently are: Jacob's Creed Red Blend (from Australia), Graffigna Elevation Red Blend (from Argentina) and Dead Bolt Winemaker's Red Blend (from Napa Valley, CA). You might want to give these a try next time, as they are all very versatile and tend to pair well with foods. 

#32 djyee100

djyee100
  • society donor
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Welcome to EGullet!

And I'm curious...

...and Dead Bolt Winemaker's Red Blend (from Napa Valley, CA). ...

Why do you think this wine is from Napa Valley? The wine label says the appellation is "California." (Pic of the label here: http://wine-by-benit...kers-blend.html )

The "California" appellation usually means Central Valley grapes that are grown for mass-market wines. While many of these wines are drinkable, they don't compare with higher-quality wines that have any of the Napa Valley appellations. Wines from Central Valley grapes don't have the stratospheric prices of Napa Valley wines, either. :rolleyes:

Central Valley grapes are grown in hot weather and harvested early compared to Napa Valley (or Sonoma) grapes. The hotter climate and shorter growing season mean Central Valley grapes have less flavor and usually higher alcohol when made into wine. These wines can still be enjoyable, of course, and they're reasonably priced.