Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Steven Shaw

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#1 Dave the Cook

Dave the Cook

Executive Director

• manager
  • 7,367 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

It is impossible to believe, and impossible to believe that i am typing this: Steven Shaw died yesterday morning. His passing was so sudden, and his years so few, that we -- people accustomed to the quick-fire pace of the internet -- are having trouble processing it.

So we'll have more to say in a bit. For now, it seems sufficient to point out that, though he had help (and he'd be the first to say that), without Steven, none of us would be here. 

Feel free to post your thoughts.

• Priscilla and ivan like this

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

#2 Rebel Rose

Rebel Rose
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

I am so very saddened by the news.  It seems like the end of an era.  I have so many happy memories of meeting great people here, many of whom I am still in touch with today.  Fat Guy created more than a forum--he created an empire of friends.

• ivan, Jaymes, LEdlund and 2 others like this

Mary Baker

RusticaFood

Find me on Facebook

#3 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

Wow.

How terrible.  I am proud I was a part of what he created and feel fortunate to have met him and even cooked with him.  

• ivan and oneidaone like this

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#4 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

The suddenness and his age make this pretty shocking. I spoke with him only briefly, when I first joined eGullet, and he was very kind and welcoming, and I wish I'd had the opportunity to meet him. My thoughts are with his wife and son, and all those who were close to him.

• ivan likes this

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#5 Malawry

Malawry
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

I owe so much to Steven. We all owe so much to Steven. He will be missed.
  • ivan and spaghetttti like this

#6 rooftop1000

rooftop1000
  • participating member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

Most of the friends I made in the past 10 years are through Steven and Jason's creation Egullet. I had the pleasure of enjoying a few meals and rides around Cleveland with him during the Heartland Gathering, he will be missed.

Tracey

• ivan and spaghetttti like this
The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers
Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage
garden state motorcyle association

#7 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

I just can't even process it. Gone far too soon. His smile, his wit and his kindness and leadership will not be here. But the memories of them will be forever precious. Godspeed FatGuy. We're all better for having known you.
  • ivan, docsconz, spaghetttti and 2 others like this

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#8 TAPrice

TAPrice
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

So sad to hear about this. Steven was one of those people who, even though we never met, I felt that I knew well. His passion and curiosity were always breathtaking to behold. 

• ivan, docsconz and Mayhaw Man like this
Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

#9 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

I am so sorry to be visiting the eGForums for this reason, but felt compelled to express my shock and sadness in finding out about losing Steven, and more importantly my sympathy to his family and friends, loved ones, all those he touched.  Rest in Peace.

• ivan likes this
Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

#10 Varmint

Varmint
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

My handle -- Varmint -- came from Steven. My expanded love of food came from Steven. My blog and food writing came from Steven. My position on the board of the Southern Foodways Alliance came from Steven. He gave me so much, but most of all, he gave me his time and wonderful friendship. He was, and always will be, one of my very best friends. I miss him dearly already. 

• Priscilla, ivan, docsconz and 2 others like this
Dean McCord
VarmintBites

#11 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

A mentor to many, an innovator, and one swell guy. It's not sunk in yet. My heart goes out to Ellen, PJ and his family and friends.

• Priscilla, ivan, oneidaone and 2 others like this

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#12 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

I've been unable to function properly since I got the call yesterday from his brother-in-law. Many meals, many more conversations, and thousands of hours of working side-by-side contributing to the projects, people, and communities he created, nutured, and loved: they all keep flooding my brain. I simply can't accept it. 

As everyone here has said, and as dozens more will no doubt say, we all owe Steven an unpayable debt. I certainly cannot begin to account for it, or even comprehend it. 

• ivan, docsconz and demiglace like this
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#13 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

Too young.  RIP Steven and prayers for Ellen, PJ and the family.

Edited by annabelle, 09 April 2014 - 11:29 AM.

• ivan likes this

#14 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

I never had the opportunity to meet Steven in person, but he still touched my life in many ways. As others have said, and no doubt many more will say, I felt like I knew him even though our only interactions were online. My thoughts go out to his family and friends at this terrible time. This is such a tremendous loss.
  • ivan and docsconz like this
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#15 ronnie_suburban

ronnie_suburban
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

This is such tragic and shocking news.  My heart goes out to PJ, Ellen and his entire family.  I cannot even begin to imagine what they're going through right now.

Steven was an exceptionally generous and talented person.  He had a profound and lasting influence on my life.  He taught me, he mentored me and he was always kind to me, even when it would have been completely reasonable for him not to have been.  To say he will be missed is a huge understatement but I'm really at a loss for words.

Rest in peace, my friend.

=R=

• ivan, docsconz, spaghetttti and 1 other like this
"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

#16 Peter the eater

Peter the eater
  • participating member
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

Thank you, Steven. May you rest in piece.

• ivan likes this
Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .
Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .
Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

#17 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

I was at a loss for words when I heard the news yesterday: I guess I still am. I've shared meals with Steven and worked with him on a number of eG projects: the enthusiasm and vitality he brought was contagious. The world was a better place for his presence in it, and we'll miss him. My heart goes out to Ellen, PJ, and the rest of his family.

• ivan and oneidaone like this

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#18 peppyre

peppyre
  • participating member
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

I haven't posted here on this board in many years, but feel I must convey my sadness about his untimely passing.  If it hadn't been for this site, I would not have the friends that I have now. Through this site a small community of like-minded food lovers was created and they will remain lifetime friends,  so thank you Steven for introducing me to my best friends. He was far too young. Many condolences to his family and friends. 

• ivan, spaghetttti and johnnyd like this

#19 artisanbaker

artisanbaker
  • participating member
  • 667 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

I was deeply saddened to hear about Steven Shaw this morning. I made a number of friends and met many great folks through the egullet community. I am grateful to have enjoyed the experience here and can only hope that I am able to contribute to the online food community (and beyond) in a such a positive way. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Sincerely,
Robert Alexander
@robmalexander
  • ivan and docsconz like this

#20 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

What can one say? Tragic and so premature. Prayers for all concerned. ..
  • ivan likes this

#21 fvandrog

fvandrog
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

It is very sad to hear a familiar face, though I never met him and joined this community after he moved on to Quirky, disappearing for good. 

I am lucky and grateful to be dialy enjoying this great community he created, of course my thoughts go to his family and close ones.

• ivan likes this

#22 JPW

JPW
  • participating member
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

Climbing out of the woodwork after many years to express my condolences to his friends and family. I owe eGullet and Steven a great deal for the things he enabled me to learn and the people he enabled me to meet. Rest in peace.

• ivan and hillvalley like this
If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

#23 IowaDee

IowaDee
  • participating member
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

He was the reason I found my way to this wonderful place.  I will always be in his debt  for that.  May his family take comfort in all the kind

comments that will appear here.

• ivan likes this

#24 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 869 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

Shock, numbness and disbelief!

I am so very sorry.

• ivan likes this

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#25 zilla369

zilla369
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

My condolences to his family and huge circle of friends, associates and mentees.  I know he will be greatly missed.  

• ivan likes this

#26 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

My heart goes out to Ellen and PJ. This is so shocking and unexpected.  We worked together for a long time and he was a dynamic and driving force behind eG.  So very sad.

• ivan, spaghetttti and johnnyd like this
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#27 heidih

heidih
  • 10,740 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

The only brilliant words that come out of my mouth or keyboard since I heard the sad news are "damn, crap, and no". When I first poked my nose into this site Steven made it feel comfortable and accessible and at the same time full of passion. It changed my life in a positive way and he was a great part of that. When my son first went to Manhattan I showed him a picture of Steven in his infamous fish pants and told him to be sure and say hello should he spot him. He didn't catch him, but I know that Steven would have been kind to him. Words fail in expressing condolences to his wife and son.

• ivan likes this

#28 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie
  • participating member
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Like Peppyre and others, I haven't posted here in ages. 

But I have many and fond memories of Steve reaching out to me at the onset of eGullet and the friendships that came out of the genesis of this site. 

His and Jason's vision brought many of us together and it was a privilege to have known him, at least virtually. 

May he enjoy his Greater Feast with gusto.

• ivan, kitwilliams, cdh and 4 others like this

#29 annecros

annecros
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Condolences to family and friends. Sincere gratitude for the priveledge of knowing him. Godspeed.

• ivan likes this

#30 hillvalley

hillvalley
  • participating member
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

It's been years since eG was a part of my life but because of the board that FG created I have created many important friendships, fallen in love, and had countless experiences that make me who I am today.  I know I am not the only one.  

We should all leave such a legacy.

• ivan, cdh and spaghetttti like this
True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.
It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,
but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe