Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Can This Lemon Curd Recipe be Doubled?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

I am going to make some lemon curd to give to the guests at our holiday dinner tomorrow.  I've only made the recipe, but for tomorrow I'll need more curd.  Can I double - or triple - this recipe?  Any problems with so doing?  Thanks!

Machrina’s Lemon Curd

1 lb (about 2 cups) sugar

1/4 lb (1 stick) unsalted butter

juice and zest (finely grated rind) of 4 lemons (about a cup juice)

6 eggs

Melt together the sugar, butter, juice and grated rind in the top of a double saucepan over simmering water. Stir to mix. When all is melted, remove top pan and allow to cool. (I use a single saucepan and just watch it carefully- this stage is melting, not cooking.)

Beat the eggs lightly and strain into the pan of cooled lemon mixture. Return the pan to the stove and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, eventually almost continuously, until it reaches a thick, creamy consistency.

Pour into clean, warmed jars, and when cool, cover and store in the refrigerator.

This can keep for months. Makes about 26 ounces.

.... Shel

#2 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

I usually make a gallon of lemon curd at a time, so I'd say go for it. Use a double boiler if you're concerned about that much product over direct heat - with all the acid your eggs are not going to scramble but you should watch extra carefully for signs of scorching.
  • Shel_B likes this

#3 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,453 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

I've quintupled it without a problem, so I'd say go ahead.  Do let us know what you find out!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#4 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

The double batch of lemon curd turned out pretty well.  Each time I tweak the recipe a bit and work on refining the technique.  now I know a double batch will work out.  Thanks, pastrygirl!

.... Shel

#5 rlped

rlped
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

I make a lot for crêpes.  I use a different recipe but the key for me is a digital thermometer.  I stir constantly until 172 F then pull it.

Oregon Crêpe Company,LLC
have crêpe will travel
...pies too!

#6 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

I make a lot for crêpes.  I use a different recipe but the key for me is a digital thermometer.  I stir constantly until 172 F then pull it.

A couple of nights ago I made the lemon curd recipe posted above, although I modified the technique somewhat.  For the first time I used a thermometer to measure the temperature of the curd, and the results were quite good, in part, perhaps, because of monitoring the temp and cooking the curd to 170-degrees.  I also stirred constantly for the first time ... I wonder if there's a way to stir the curd mechanically, perhaps some gadget that's available or which could be adapted.

.... Shel

#7 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,417 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

A couple of nights ago I made the lemon curd recipe posted above, although I modified the technique somewhat.  For the first time I used a thermometer to measure the temperature of the curd, and the results were quite good, in part, perhaps, because of monitoring the temp and cooking the curd to 170-degrees.  I also stirred constantly for the first time ... I wonder if there's a way to stir the curd mechanically, perhaps some gadget that's available or which could be adapted.

That would be a Thermomix!

• judiu likes this

#8 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

I wonder if there's a way to stir the curd mechanically, perhaps some gadget that's available or which could be adapted.

That would be a Thermomix!

Quite an interesting machine, but way out of my league.  I'm jes' a po' ol' country boy from NYC.  Thanks for making me aware of it, though.  Do you use one?

Edited by Shel_B, 05 February 2014 - 08:57 PM.

.... Shel

#9 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,417 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

Yes I do.

#10 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:08 AM

Yes I do.

How do you find the temperature control holds up?  The last time I used one was in a professional kitchen- it was a couple of years old and the temp settings were out by about 10-15°C.

#11 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,417 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

I've not had any issues with the temperatures being off - when I make a recipe for something like curd I do a little experimenting with how long at what temperature to get the result I'm after then just use what I've figured out.