Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner! 2013 (Part 5)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
573 replies to this topic

#271 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

This ones for huiray, a totally improvisational conglomeration of quasi chinese influence.  I started with a little toasted sesame oil, added canola then stir fried leftover sous vide pork (ala Thomas Keller), shiitake mushrooms cooked in butter, fresh  shrimp, baby bok choy, onion, garlic,and finished with Lee Kum Kee spicy noodle sauce.  MM84321 I took the photo in the bedroom closet to add a little flair.  

P1020217(1).JPG  

• Dejah, judiu, Ann_T and 5 others like this

#272 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

This is my 20 minutes meal

Penne in simple tomato sauce

image.jpg

Frittata with sauté chards and some romanesco

image.jpg
  • Ann_T, Shelby, patrickamory and 1 other like this

#273 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

Nice dish, Steve!! :-) 

Reminds me a bit too of the last episode of Top Chef in New Orleans, which featured the Vietnamese community in N.O. - in which the winning dish was said to best "represent the spirit of the Vietnamese Community in New Orleans", not that it was the best "Vietnamese Dish".

#274 Bojana

Bojana
  • participating member
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

Chicken stew wit carrots, dried apricots and currants, on quinoa, topped with feta. Took 2 mins to put together and throw in PC. Very delish, and hardly any effort.Posted Image
  • judiu likes this

#275 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 979 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

My son is home for a couple of days.  Promised him Mexican tonight and Prime Rib tomorrow night.

I have this huge cast iron round griddle given to me by a neighbour a few years ago that I had never used.  But I used it twice in the last week to make a couple of stir fry type dishes  - one with pork the other with beef tenderloin.    I don't think I will use my wok again.  It was perfect for tonight's Chicken Fajitas.

Chicken%20Fajitas%20Marinating%20October

Marinated the chicken in a little of the homemade salsa.

Chicken%20Fajitas%20Searing%20October%20

On the griddle.  Lots of room - no crowding.  23" in diameter.

Chicken%20Fajitas%20Searing%20October%20

Chicken%20Fajitas%20Veggies%20October%20

Moved the chicken off to the side.  Added the onions and green peppers.

Chicken%20Fajitas%20Flour%20Tortillas%20

Served off the griddle with homemade flour tortillas.

Chicken%20Fajitas%20October%2029th%2C%20

With salsa and Guacamole.   Matthew made the Guacamole.

• scubadoo97, Dejah, judiu and 9 others like this

#276 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:34 AM

Ann_T: That looks like a fabulous griddle! I have a paella pan of the same material and am amazed at it's versatility. I was wondering if you'd be able to serve the fixings right from the griddle - that is, placing the griddle on the table while it is still sizzling. I was just thinking of the sizzling hot plates restaurants use when serving fajita.

Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#277 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 979 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

Ann_T: That looks like a fabulous griddle! I have a paella pan of the same material and am amazed at it's versatility. I was wondering if you'd be able to serve the fixings right from the griddle - that is, placing the griddle on the table while it is still sizzling. I was just thinking of the sizzling hot plates restaurants use when serving fajita.

Dejah, that is exactly what I did.  Served right off the griddle.  If this pan was slightly smaller, it would be even more versatile.  But it is just slightly too big to fit in the oven.

#278 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:48 AM

Thanks, Ann:-)

Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#279 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

I got an urge for corned beef but didn't make it from scratch this time.  Also had a yam and apple casserole and zucchini salad.

DSCN0878_zps4fab41f5.jpg

DSCN0889_zps3666b7c5.jpg

• judiu, Ann_T, DiggingDogFarm and 1 other like this

#280 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

""  a yam and apple casserole ""

I like this idea.  would you share the details ?

many thanks

#281 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 734 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

We had some Spanish wine in the fridge so we made dinner to go with it.

Patatas bravas

Roasted peppers with garlic

Tortilla (not pictured)

004 (480x640).jpg

• judiu, Ann_T, DiggingDogFarm and 1 other like this

#282 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Rotuts

The recipe was on the back of a package of Organic Baby Jewel Yams.  You could use any yams I am sure but two, maybe two and a half good size sweet potato yams would be about equal to a whole package. Here is that list of ingredients

1 pkg Melissia’s Organic baby jewel yams
2 1/2 baking apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4” rings
1/4 C. sugar
1/2 C. orange juice
1/8 C. butter
3/4 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp nutmeg
1 T. macadamia nuts, toasted

I used
Used 1 1/2 tsp. each cinnamon and nutmeg, two medium apples

Pecans, a handful instead of macadamia nuts. 

Note:  next time I want to  top with a crisp or crumble and more nuts. My son said the pecans tasted good with the corned beef.  IMHO anything tastes better with pecans. :)

Par boil the sweet potatoes then cool and peel.  Peel core and slice apples into rings about a quarter inch thick.  Layer the sliced potatoes and apples in a buttered casserole dish, combine the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer to thicken.  Pour over apples and yams and bake @ 350º for an hour. 

Edited by Norm Matthews, 30 October 2013 - 07:05 PM.

• judiu, Ann_T and gfweb like this

#283 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

Yar  and thanks

you are indeed correct :  'Fresh" pecans carefully roasted are the Best !

#284 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

Tonight we had duck legs SV (skin crisping in the broiler), Chinese broccoli and romanesco. Plus kimchi and Comte...image.jpg
  • judiu, Ann_T, gfweb and 2 others like this

#285 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

Now I’m hungry for fajitas and zucchini salad, despite just finishing a nice Indian meal. Maybe a little duck leg, too, to fill in the nooks and crannies.

Mint-cilantro chicken – fried with onions, ginger-garlic paste, black pepper, and turmeric, and then cooked until done with lemon juice, minced green chile, and heaps of chopped cilantro and mint. Definitely making this again.

Mixed vegetable pilaf – soaked basmati rice; onions fried with cumin, black cardamom, ginger, chiles, garam masala, yogurt, and chopped carrots, yellow bell pepper, and cauliflower; and garnished with cilantro.

p53759190-4.jpg

• judiu, Ann_T, Shelby and 2 others like this

#286 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 979 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

Norm,  What a beautiful way to serve a zucchini salad. 

Bruce, beautiful colour on that chicken. 

Prime%20Rib%20photos%20October%2030th%2C

Prime Rib dinner.

• judiu, chileheadmike, gfweb and 4 others like this

#287 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

Now I’m hungry for fajitas and zucchini salad, despite just finishing a nice Indian meal. Maybe a little duck leg, too, to fill in the nooks and crannies.

Mint-cilantro chicken – fried with onions, ginger-garlic paste, black pepper, and turmeric, and then cooked until done with lemon juice, minced green chile, and heaps of chopped cilantro and mint. Definitely making this again.

Mixed vegetable pilaf – soaked basmati rice; onions fried with cumin, black cardamom, ginger, chiles, garam masala, yogurt, and chopped carrots, yellow bell pepper, and cauliflower; and garnished with cilantro.

Dang me, Bruce! You've got such a knack of getting that beautiful char on all your chicken dishes! :wub:

• judiu likes this
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#288 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

Tonight we had a celery stock risotto.
Salmon and "giardiniera di verdure", I'm making this again, addictive and very easyimage.jpg
  • judiu and DiggingDogFarm like this

#289 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

Franci,
Can you go into a little more detail on the giardiniera di verdure.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#290 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

A quick supper tonight after a little trip to the back of the freezer and frig.  White bean and barley soup with fried pork belly

P1020222(1).JPG

• Franci, Ann_T and DiggingDogFarm like this

#291 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

Franci,

Sure. I diced a big carrot, 2 celery stalks, a light green zucchini, quartered about 7-8 cherry tomatoes, sliced one onion, added a little fresh sage, salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, added 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, covered and cooked for about 20 minutes. Liquid should almost evaporate by the end and vegetables shouldn't fry in the oil. Let cool.
It goes very well with a charcuterie platter. The vegetables stay crunchy and it's a bit sweet and sour.

Edited by Franci, 31 October 2013 - 08:15 PM.

• judiu and FrogPrincesse like this

#292 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

Franci,

Sure. I diced a big carrot, 2 celery stalks, a light green zucchini, quartered about 7-8 cherry tomatoes, sliced one onion, added a little fresh sage, salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, added 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, covered and cooked for about 20 minutes. Liquid should almost evaporate by the end and vegetables shouldn't fry in the oil. Let cool.
It goes very well with a charcuterie platter. The vegetables stay crunchy and it's a bit sweet and sour.

Thank you. I am trying to slot it into a category that I can recognize and it seems a bit like a cross between a relish and a salsa.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#293 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

IMG_0888.jpg

Sopa de Lima.  Great use for leftover turkey and it's stock.  Not terribly photogenic with standard tortilla bits - wish I'd had some corn tortillas in the freezer.  

• Franci, patrickamory, rotuts and 1 other like this

#294 Wapi

Wapi
  • participating member
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

Wapi yum! More details - what recipe for goulash? What cut of beef - chuck? Slow-cooked? And what kind of dried mushrooms? They almost look like cloud ear.

Thank you!

Chunk indeed! I quickly seared 2 kg of meat with some butter in a large pot. After removing the meat I sauteed 4-6 medium onions, 4 paprikas, 6 pieces of garlic. Added the meat back to the pot and added 1 bottle of red wine together with 2 bay leaves, 3 cloves, half of a chilli peper, thyme, rosemary, and a handfull of dried mushrooms. I used a mix of mushrooms, but the ones you see on the picture are black trumpets. The are truly heavenly. I am a huge fan of dried mushrooms. They bring a great, deep flavor to the dish. I then simmered the stew for 2,5 hours and seasoned it with some salt, peper, half of a bouillon cube (yeah the lazy way, I know :) ) and 2 teaspoons of sugar.

• judiu likes this

#295 Wapi

Wapi
  • participating member
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

gehaktballetjes (Large).jpg

Meatballs with white mushrooms and a tomato cream sauce with wild mushrooms, served with pasta

Edited by Wapi, 01 November 2013 - 06:00 PM.

• judiu, C. sapidus, rotuts and 2 others like this

#296 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

It's cooling off so the fresh herbs are going to fade away. I worked in some oregano, basil, mint and lemon zest to top ziti with light tomato sauce and homemade sausage.  The feta sausage is based on a recipe from Len Poli and a second sausage that is very lean (fresh ham) that is seasoned with homemade hot sauce. The Poli site has been a great resource for many different types of sausage over the past years (http://lpoli.50webs....age recipes.htm)

P1020230(1).JPG

• C. sapidus likes this

#297 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

Kerry that sopa de lima actually looks delicious. I have to get back to that.

Beans two ways (posted way after the fact). Both are RG - the white are cannellini, the black are midnights.

beans_zps608e52e6.jpg

beans_black_zps852fbc31.jpg

For what it's worth, I think the white beans were some of the best I've ever had. Procedure and ingredients were generally the same for each, except that the whites were soaked for 4 hours and then simmered; the black were no-soak Russ Parsons method. I've subscribed to Russ's method for years. Now I'm wondering whether there is something to tradition.

• scubadoo97, C. sapidus, Shelby and 1 other like this

#298 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Dejah and Ann_T, thank you both, you are very kind. I can only get a good browning on chicken if I leave the kitchen for a while. Otherwise I turn the chicken too early, usually to its detriment.  :rolleyes:

Tilapia with zucchini, lime, and garlic; arroz blanco; and green bean salad with red onion

p221924027-4.jpg

• judiu, DiggingDogFarm and Steve Irby like this

#299 Bojana

Bojana
  • participating member
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

Finally had time and energy to make Momofuku pork buns. Was a big hit, and i have loads left inthe freezer, to satisfy sudden cravings. Buns are: steamed yeast dough, roasted pork belly slices, quick cucumber pickle, hoisin sauce and some scallions. Added to this garlic ginger baby pak choiPosted Image
  • scubadoo97, judiu, Shelby and 1 other like this

#300 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

Couple of late dinners.

-----------------

• Soup: Opo squash (浦瓜), pork spare ribs, smashed garlic, snow fungus, water, sea salt.

• Linguine [Ferrara] w/ Hazan tomato sauce. (w/ deseeded, deskinned ripe tomatoes)

DSCN9854a_800.jpg

DSCN9856a_1k.jpg

-----------------

• Pork & Shrimp wontons, w/ blanched Taiwan Bok Choi & skinny wonton noodles.  Stock of chicken broth, simmered w/ dried far koo (花菇) and their stems, dried oysters, some dried anchovies (ikan bilis), sliced fresh ginger, smashed clove of garlic (Music), chicken fat, veggie oil.

DSCN9880a_800.jpg

• judiu, ojisan, Shelby and 3 others like this