Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Mini Ice Cube Trays: are they any good?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Beusho

Beusho
  • participating member
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

I don't have an ice machine on my refrigerator and I don't want to put my blender through the work of making crushed ice so I thought about buying plastic ice cube trays that have mini ice cubes in them from bed bath and beyond. Anybody have any experience with these things? Are they any good and were there any problems?

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

#2 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

I suggest a vintage ice crusher like the Ice-O-Mat  (got this one at flea market for $10) Still have to make regular ice cubes or buy them but it is a great tool. 

001.JPG

• gfweb likes this

#3 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

I have the same model ice crusher!!

It is a handy tool.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#4 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

I recommend Kotobuki mini ice cube trays.  I bought one tray this past fall and immediately ordered three more.  They have been in daily use for almost three months and I cannot say enough good things about them.  No problems unless you over fill.

Kotobuki Mini Ice Cube Tray

#5 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

I don't have an ice machine on my refrigerator and I don't want to put my blender through the work of making crushed ice so I thought about buying plastic ice cube trays that have mini ice cubes in them from bed bath and beyond. Anybody have any experience with these things? Are they any good and were there any problems?

Do you want crushed ice, or mini ice-cubes?  If you want crushed, then either the Ice-o-Mat mentioned above or hand crushing with a mallet will work fine with regular sized ice-cubes.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?