Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
525 replies to this topic

#511 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

Witch's Wit from the Lost Abbey. A very good example of witbier with the typical esters, coriander, orange peel. From recollection alone, similar to Hoegaarden but with more character. It kills me to think that I haven't been to their brewery yet; I don't know what I am waiting for. They are located in Stone's old facility in San Marcos.

14788736230_b5e8bfc080_z.jpg

#512 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:37 AM

Purchased a few beers today. The first one I cracked open was Crown Golden Ale. I'm not fond of Crown Lager: a mass-produced beer that is marketed as something special (gold label, 'royal' name). The Golden Ale is a little better. Unremarkable but drinkable. Can't see myself throwing down the cash for a case any time soon, though. It's just ... plain

Murray's Rudeboy Pilsner. Bready. Crisp. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#513 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:51 AM

More Moa. 99 Not Out Pale Ale. For people living in dark places the name refers to a boring sport called cricket. Supposedly this beer was developed in partnership with Shane Warne, a cricketer famous for being a cricketer and for smoking when he shouldn't be smoking and for shagging Elizabeth Hurley. The beer itself is unremarkable. The flavour profile reminds me a whole lot of the flavour profile of generic, mass-produced Australian ale.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#514 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:36 AM

Birra del Borgo Duchessa con Farro. Yeast. Fruity breakfast cereal. It's okay, I guess.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#515 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:19 AM

Another Birra del Borgo offering. Cortigiana. Fruity. Tropical fruit. It's okay, I guess. And that, I guess, is a bit of a Birra del Borgo theme.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#516 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

4 Pines Hefeweizen. Fruity. Tropical fruit. Mushy fruit. Some weird lactic notes to it that didn't sit well with me. I dislike the flavour of milk. Heavy carbonation. This one's just a no.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#517 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

With my pizza Margherita tonight, my last bottle of Victory/Dogfish/Stone Saison du BUFF.  Only because my dear son said he got me some more.

#518 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:46 PM

Jo - This was a limited release in 2012. I've had it at Stone, but it's long gone from the stores. Maybe your son was smart enough to stock up on it!

I am so behind on my beers notes it's not even funny. 

Here was the beer board at Tender Greens, one of my favorite ultra-casual lunch places, a few days ago. All local brews. I had tried everything already except for the Saint Archer white ale, so I went with that. Saint Archer is another craft brewery in San Diego located in Miramar, close to where I work.

It's a typical white beer, coriander and orange, nothing offensive, and refreshing. Nice with my salad.

15101655822_25253dc6e8_z.jpg

14915459988_6500f0e445_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 01 September 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#519 BrentKulman

BrentKulman
  • participating member
  • 397 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:51 AM

Jo - This was a limited release in 2012. I've had it at Stone, but it's long gone from the stores. Maybe your son was smart enough to stock up on it!

It has been brewed since then and this year it was brewed by Dogfish Head without the other two breweries participating, though it will rotate to the others in future years.

http://www.dogfish.c...-to-go-solo.htm

#520 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:26 AM

Brent beat me to it.

#521 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

It has been brewed since then and this year it was brewed by Dogfish Head without the other two breweries participating, though it will rotate to the others in future years.

http://www.dogfish.c...-to-go-solo.htm

Cool. Thanks for the correction!

#522 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:30 PM

Flying Dog Dead Rise summer ale, AKA the crab beer, made with Old Bay

#523 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

No crab in the beer? (I've seen oyster beer before.) How was it?

#524 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

Going through some photos from a few weeks ago. Here is a special England travel edition.

One of England's many pubs claiming to be the oldest, this one in Nottingham. Supposedly Richard the LionHeart stopped to have a beer on his way to the crusades.

15097878206_7de4bdc561_z.jpg

Beer options are pictured below. They also had some weird fruit-flavored ciders which apparently are "very popular with women". I took note and went with the Robin Hood ale, which is brewed locally by Nottingham Brewery. Easy drinking and very slightly bitter.

The pub itself is pretty cool. A series of little caverns, all connected, like a hobbit house. All local people.

14934314508_0c868a58f1_z.jpg

15097891266_71f69af0dc_z.jpg

15120517532_7dab2a67d0_z.jpg

99 Red Baboons from Blue Monkey, a brewery in Nottingham. Porter-style. Thick and malty. Burned malts, coffee. Probably not the best way to start a meal (although I had tongue, so I needed something robust), but I enjoyed it anyway.

15118195421_947d493156_z.jpg

I had a taste of this much lighter weight option, Extra Pale Ale from Nottingham Brewery.

15118196751_4298216edc_z.jpg

Hepworth Curious IPA. I had it a couple of times (not by design, but sometimes there were very few "local" beers available), once in Nottingham and the other time at the London Heathrow airport. The first time I thought it tasted a bit metallic and only slightly bitter for an IPA, but it grew on me. I liked the grassy hops with the malty notes. In the end I think I like it.

It's highly rated by Diffords.

15120878875_ff5c4a0cd9_z.jpg

Meantime London lager. I tried this one in London (of course). Refreshing, with citrus hops.

15024603202_4319cae246_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 02 September 2014 - 01:48 PM.

• haresfur likes this

#525 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

Imperial Hefeweizen "Call It What You Want" by Stone in Point Loma, brewed on the premises.

15143438412_0bcf8d040b_z.jpg

It's a hefeweizen, but Stone being Stone, so it's an Imperial version at 10.5% ABV. Again, it's Stone, so the banana esters are flambeed and the clove is huge. Nice dry coriander finish. 

Under the watchful eye of a couple of these guys. 

15140841941_1f981d7a55_z.jpg

The draft menu today for the garden bar.

14957157040_b6a3cf5817_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 04 September 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#526 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:56 AM

Sessioning some Hokkaido 'Nature on Tap' while burning through Mind of a Chef. It's a very generic beer in the Japanese sense of the word: accessible, light-tasting (even though it's not lower in alcohol content than your everyday Aussie or American drop). A bit watery. It's ... utterly unremarkable without qualifying as either good or bad. Generic wherein 'generic' is an objective descriptor, free of positive or negative connotations. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne