Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Toaster Ovens

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

I'm going to be moving to an apartment in a few months, and I'd like to get a toaster oven.  Having used them at a friend's house, I know I can defintely get some good use from it.

I never owned one, so what features should I look for?  What size works best for you?  And what brand or model has been satisfactory, or not?  Ideally, I'd like to be able to bake a few potatoes, broil some chicken breasts or thighs or fish, have enough room for at least an 8x8 Pyrex dish, two or three slices of pizza ... 

Ideally I'd like to keep the cost to a max of about $100.00 or so.

Thanks!

... Shel

Edited by Shel_B, 02 March 2013 - 12:24 PM.

.... Shel

#2 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

More expensive than your range, but the Breville Smart Oven is the most used appliance we have. Just a bit bigger than a toaster oven, it can handle a 1/4 sheet pan and a decent-sized baking dish. Toasts fine, broils great,heats fast. Just a great unit.

#3 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

I got the smaller of the  Brevilles:

http://www.bedbathan...sp?SKU=17155709

with 20 % ubiquitous coupon about 140.

more than you'd like to pay, but i like it a lot.   I got the smaller one as it fits in a space on my counter.  in retrospect I probably

would like the larger one more.

but 1 $ = 1 $

there is a thread somewhere here on that.

Edited by rotuts, 02 March 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#4 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

I got a GE Spacemaker under cabinet Toaster Oven, my mom didnt believe in Toaster Ovens.

Now that I have one I LOVE IT

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#5 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

Breville Smart Oven!  Takes up a good bit of real estate and is somewhat pricey at $250 but SO-O-O-O-O worth it.

I rarely use my range oven anymore except for really big dishes.  I'd never thought I could get so much use out of a small appliance like this but it really is versatile, it does most everything extremely well.

#6 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

I have always been a big fan of toaster ovens.  A really big fan. Wouldn't be without one. My former husband and I used to go 'round and 'round about it because he said it took too long to make toast and the toast was never as evenly toasted as in a real toaster. And although I agree with that, that just wasn't a huge hardship in my view. The toaster ovens do make toast, and it's not so much a step down from an actual toaster that it's worthy of bitching and moaning about it. Or even, in my view, worthy of moving a toaster around on the countertop and keeping it clean, etc. I sure didn't like having both appliances taking up space on my countertop, so one had to go. No contest - the toaster. That was only a one-function appliance (and you couldn't even make butterscotch toast or cinnamon toast or honey toast or toast a slice of pound cake, or heat up iced rolls or anything else at all in it, certainly nothing drippy, or too fat, and if you tried, it got stuck and you wound up with smoke in the kitchen and the smoke alarm going off and you had to unplug the thing and go after it with a knife, making a big mess and how on earth is that worth it) taking up limited space, so byebye. I did keep his precious toaster under the counter for a while, but he had to actually bend over and retrieve it when he wanted to use it, which he was the only one that ever did. So he didn't do that more than a couple of times. After I realized that months had passed since he used it, and we were all using the toaster oven, I got rid of it and he never said a word more about it.

But those toaster ovens! So quick and easy to use to heat up things, bake smaller items, melt cheese over things, brown things, crisp up things, whatever.

And, especially if you live in a hot-weather climate, as I have fairly often during my life, a toaster oven has a huge advantage in that you don't have to heat up that big oven, which heats up your kitchen, when it's 110 degrees outside. Not to mention that it costs a lot more money to heat up that big oven if all you want to bake is six cookies, or four biscuits, or re-heat and re-crisp some fried chicken from last night's dinner.

For about the last five years, I've been living with my daughter, her husband, and their four kids, and doing all the babysitting and most of the cooking. They didn't have a toaster oven when I moved in so, of course, I immediately bought one. Now, my daughter says, they can't live without it. I'm going to be moving into a small apartment over the next few weeks and had planned to take it with me. But Daughter has been begging me to leave it. It's an Oster and I bought it at Sam's for $40 and it's certainly not perfect but we like it fine. I know that living by myself with a small kitchen, I'll use that toaster oven many times every day, so I was extremely reluctant to leave it.

But, after reading this thread, I am going to leave it.

And take myself and my nifty 20% off coupon over to BB&B and get that large Breville Smart Oven.

I'll bet I don't turn on the big oven for months.

Hey, I can use it for storage!

Edited by Jaymes, 03 March 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#7 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

I got the smaller of the  Brevilles:

http://www.bedbathan...sp?SKU=17155709

with 20 % ubiquitous coupon about 140.

more than you'd like to pay, but i like it a lot.   I got the smaller one as it fits in a space on my counter.  in retrospect I probably

would like the larger one more.

but 1 $ = 1 $

there is a thread somewhere here on that.

Yes, that one, without a doubt. You'll never regret spending the extra $40.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#8 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

full disclosure:  the toast in the B oven is not exactly like toasts in a hight end pop up: on mine ( the smaller one ) the heating elements (smart ones) seem to vary in intensity near the end of the timming ( which is limited ) resulting in a toast that is on th 'baked'side:  not the very crispy on the outside with high heat throughout and a touch of a soft center:  more crispy throughout.

Ive gotten used to that.

#9 StanSherman

StanSherman
  • participating member
  • 258 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

My only issue with Breville is their construction teniques.  They don't make the units user repairable.  Or toaster went out afet a couple of years and it's virtually impossible to fix it.  The cost to send it in and have it done is virtually the same a buying a new one.  IMO it's one of the few items where an extended warranty should be figured into the cost of the purchase.

#10 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

A hearty vote here for the Black and Decker convection model, which is smaller than a Breville but still large enough to roast a good-sized hen or a small duck.  My current one cost me just a hair over $100 (but bear in mind those are Ecuadorian prices - they're surely cheaper stateside!)

What Jaymes has said about hot-weather climates and toaster ovens holds especially true, but she missed one lovely feature of the TO that's essential to hot-climate cooking.  When it's 110 out and you absolutely don't want to add even half a degree more heat to your house, a toaster oven is portable and you can set it up outside.  Which means that if you've got a hankering for garlic cheese potatoes to go with your grilled meats, it's a snap to pull the oven out onto the balcony or deck and plug it in there.

EDIT - I should also mention that I have never used my toaster oven to make toast, but that's a function of always having fresh bread available and not liking toast all that much.  It's no comment on the oven's ability to toast bread.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense, 03 March 2013 - 02:17 PM.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#11 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

In case you don't want something massive like a Breville -- I certainly didn't even want anything as big as their smaller unit -- I have been very very happy with this:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004JMZGM2

Toasting is amazingly fast and even, and works great as a mini oven as well -- very even browning and baking of chocolate chip cookies!

Note that the *SMALL* Breville is 16 x 14 x 10, and this Cuisinart is 16 x 12 x 8. To me that is a much much better countertop size...

#12 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Shall we all post pics of toast made in our TOs?

j8fv5UR.jpg

Toast made in a Black and Decker Spacemaker toaster oven TROS1500

Top side Left Bottom side Right

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#13 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

We also have the Breville Smart oven and it is all everyone claims it to be. It is out of the price range the OP indicated and perhaps the size as well.  But it is the most used device in our kitchen. I could not beany happier with it.

#14 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Sizewise, the small Breville is OK.  The price is a little more than I'd like to pay for such a tool, but it is workable.

The Cuisinart is better WRT price and size, but more than 30% of the reviews were low and at least somewhat negative.

I've never had good luck with B&D products, so I tend not to consider them

However, I'm in no rush to make a purchase, so there's ample time to do a more complete investigation.

I like the idea of being able to toast more tha two "standard" slices of bread as th Breville does, although I usually use more artisnal styles of bread, and some of those produce large slices.  It would be great to see more pics of toast.

Thanks for all the suggestions ... Shel

.... Shel

#15 peterm2

peterm2
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

My only issue with Breville is their construction teniques.  They don't make the units user repairable.  Or toaster went out afet a couple of years and it's virtually impossible to fix it.  The cost to send it in and have it done is virtually the same a buying a new one.  IMO it's one of the few items where an extended warranty should be figured into the cost of the purchase.

I had my Smart Oven completely die on me, but my interactions with Breville's customer service were unparalleled. They were extremely helpful and paid for me to send mine back, then sent a replacement right away. Really a great experience, so I'd suggest giving them a call and seeing if they help you out before you junk it or do something locally.

#16 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

I don't want to contradict anyone that said they liked the Cuisinart, and perhaps they had a different model than we did, but we hated ours. So we tossed it after a year or so, and got that Oster at Sam's. Not perfect, maybe, but at $40, the price was right and we liked it fine. Much better than that Cuisinart and half the price.

#17 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

It does not matter how much you paid for a toaster oven. 

They are all limited by the maximum allowed electric outlet capacity, which is about 1,800 watts in the USA.

dcarch

#18 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,275 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

One of my neighbors bought a Cuisinart, I think I wrote about it last year, she described it as a "whole tree full of lemons"  the heat regulator was not reliable and then one SUNDAY morning, when they had guests, the door fell off.

They took it back to the store as it was only four or five months old and got a run around until they made a lot of noise. 

They got the Waring Pro Toaster oven and Toaster combo because they have 7 children  and this way they could retire the separate toaster and make enough toast for everyone. 

It has a hefty footprint but has worked very well for them and it has taken a beating from their kids. 

Her sister got one a few months after they did and had a problem with the toaster lever - took it back to the store (Sears) and no problem given a new one which has worked fine. 

Amazon has it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#19 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

It does not matter how much you paid for a toaster oven. 

They are all limited by the maximum allowed electric outlet capacity, which is about 1,800 watts in the USA.

dcarch

Right, but the construction and features can vary widely.  That Cuisinart didn't even have a timer for the bake function.  It did have a timer, in seconds, for the toast function, but if you wanted to bake something for, say, twenty minutes, you had to set a separate timer, like the one on your range or microwave or something, and then when it rang, go turn off the Cuisinart, which would cook until Taylor Swift finds someone to marry, if you didn't turn it off manually.  No timer and no automatic turnoff.  Which was a real turnoff for us, too.  Among many other turnoffs.  Like extremely shoddy construction, for example.

"Hated it" is not too strong a phrase. 

In fact, "actively loathed" is closer to the truth.

• judiu likes this

#20 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,106 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

That Cuisinart didn't even have a timer for the bake function.  It did have a timer, in seconds, for the toast function, but if you wanted to bake something for, say, twenty minutes, you had to set a separate timer,

What is it about toaster ovens that seems to bring out the worst in product designers? I've never owned a Cuisinart, but I have owned TWO different toaster ovens that suffered from similar lacking-or-garbage-timer issues. Seriously, how hard is this?! It's a toaster OVEN. OVEN!! Ok, I'm done ranting now...

• judiu likes this

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#21 EMichels

EMichels
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Definitely purchase a model with dials for time and temperature settings. I have a Krups model, which I otherwise like very much but it suffers from digital settings with up/down buttons to set the time and temperature. The temperature adjusts in 25 degree intervals and the time in 1 minute intervals. This wouldn't be so bad if the default time were not set at 30 minutes. I cook a lot of things in my toaster oven but I cannot recall ever cooking something for 30 minutes. The result is that every time that I use the machine it requires at least 27 button presses to set the combined time and temp. It is easily the dumbest design among anything that I own.

#22 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

Definitely purchase a model with dials for time and temperature settings. I have a Krups model, which I otherwise like very much but it suffers from digital settings with up/down buttons to set the time and temperature. The temperature adjusts in 25 degree intervals and the time in 1 minute intervals. This wouldn't be so bad if the default time were not set at 30 minutes. I cook a lot of things in my toaster oven but I cannot recall ever cooking something for 30 minutes. The result is that every time that I use the machine it requires at least 27 button presses to set the combined time and temp. It is easily the dumbest design among anything that I own.

Boy, I agree with this.  I will say that the Oster I mentioned above has an excellent timer system.  All in all, a pretty good product. Especially at that price.

#23 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

I'm about ready to buy the toaster oven - in fact, I may slide on down to the local BBB later this morning - and I'm inclined towards the small Breville,  BOV450XL.  A couple of the reviews mentioned that the oven doesn't have a broiler pan.  Is that the small, jelly roll like pan that some toaster ovens have?  Thanks!

.... Shel

#24 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

Shel look hard at the bigger breville. I love it.

#25 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

I have the smaller BV.  i got it over the larger because there was a place it "just fit" on my counter.

generally when i buy 'hardware'  I get the 'next model up' if i can afford it as then i won't be stuck with something that didnt' have

a feature I missed thinking about that was on the Next Up.  I also hem and haw a lot as I probably didnt need this in the first place.

Violating my Own Law, in this case was a big mistake as the larger one does some stuff this does not.  and now Im stuck.

" single charge costs " are cheap over the long run.  'mistakes' are expensive over that same amount of time.  not the that 

the smaller one is a mistake:  i would have enjoyed the larger way over the price difference.

BTW  the smaller has one very very very annoying design issue:  the racks to NOT have the lip on the back end that prevent them 

from sliding out all the way:  on your counter, on the floor.   For this price range that's just Criminal.

So...  doing this again, Id get the larger and fiddle 10 minutes with my counter array.  I be a bit happier.  just a bit.

Alway Take Your 20 % Coupon with You.

I also think this doesnt do a very good job with conventionally thick/thin toast.  it more or less bakes it.

thicker Home Made bread   does fine.

Edited by rotuts, 20 October 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#26 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

The big one is big enough for casserole dishes, a full sized meatloaf and small loaves of bread. We rarely use the big ovens now so we save big on fuel.

#27 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

on the Big One, do your racks slide all the way out w/o a lip on the back to keep them 'in check'

also think of this as An Oven that Toasts.

Edited by rotuts, 20 October 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#28 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

Racks do not slide all the way out.

#29 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

Is the big one large enough to accommodate an un-spatchcocked 5 to 6 lb. chicken?

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#30 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

as Alton Brown states at the end of the 'Good Eats' shows (during credits)  " Buzz, ... , Buzz , Buzz, Buzz. "

I motored down to my Local BB at Speed and politely explained how unhappy i was with the BV small.  Politely. I explained 

i had had it probably  ( :unsure: ) more then 6 m.  But I really wanted the Big Boy.  would they exchange it?  Having a spanking brand

new 20 % coupon in hand they said  " Sure "

:biggrin:    :biggrin:    :biggrin:

as my good friend W.C.Fields used to state after getting out of bed in the morning afternoon:

"Ill be drinking early today "

Thanks Shel !

• judiu and gfweb like this