Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Melting chocolate

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PSmith

PSmith
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

Now I know the purists out there will say that chocolate should be melted in a glass bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, but I have always melted chocolate in a microwave on a low setting.

It does need constant checking and stirring, otherwise too much and the sugar will go solid, but it takes seconds rather than many minutes.

What is the general opinion on this?

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker

#2 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

You definitely should *not* melt chocolate in a glass bowl, IMHO. Glass has a massive capability to hold heat, so if you overheat the chocolate, it's going to stay hot for longer.

My 2c is also that you shouldn't melt it over water, simply because it's so easy to get water in your chocolate. Heaps of people are going to say they've never had problems, but for me, it's not worth the risk. If you use your microwave, with a microwave safe plastic bowl, you're going to have no problems at all, so long as you're careful, monitor the temperature and just use short bursts, never more than 30 seconds. I always microwave on high, just carefully. I've never overheated it.

Other options I have available are a melt tank and a dehydrator set at 45C, dump the chocolate in it and seal the bowl with gladwrap the night before and it's ready to precrystallise the next morning.

#3 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I prefer the microwave, and I melt between 2-20 kgs per day with the nuker.

With the double boiler method, the opportunity to get water into the chocolate is very high. Also, many people make the mistake of simmering the water--when this happens, steam escapes from under the bowl and condenses above the melted chocolate, and you get brown cement....

#4 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

PSmith, I don't understand your comment about "sugar going solid".  Can you elaborate?

#5 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

I melt chocolate in a 4 or 8 cup pyrex measuring cup.  Depending on how much I'm melting I'll start with about a minute on high then either another minute or less depending on how things are coming along.  As long as I stick to the Pyrex brand cups I haven't had any burned chocolate - it doesn't seem to get the hot spots of other glass (or stainless) vessels I've used.  

White chocolate in small quantities - I'd probably start with 20 seconds. 

When I'm trying to warm up chocolate that is already tempered but is getting cool - I usually nuke on high power in 6 to 8 second bursts.  

#6 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

If I am going to put the chocolate into something else, I microwave in  a measuring cup, but if I am going to add ingredients to chocolate, especially over heat, I melt it in a saucepan--directly, not over water. Pre-microwave habit, picked up from my grandmother.

#7 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Have to say that most of the chocolate which I 'melt' I do over water using a stainless bowl whose flanges far outreach the edge of the pot.  So far, so good.

The other melting is putting the chocolate into the heated cream for ganache.  Tempering in my Revolation except when away from home and then I use a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave, once I have figured out the particular microwave I am using. 

Not exciting, but it's what I do.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#8 PSmith

PSmith
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

PSmith, I don't understand your comment about "sugar going solid".  Can you elaborate?

On occasions (especially when using budget chocolate - not the 70% stuff) the sugar in the chocolate re-crystalises if you use too high a heat in the microwave.

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker

#9 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

I've got a friend that always sets some sort of bowl (or cup or whatever she has handy) on the burner of her coffee maker. She's in a small apt with not a lot of room and often uses that burner to slow-warm things.

#10 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

I'm in the habit of using a bowl over a saucepan of water. Water has never been an issue. Just keep it out of the chocolate.

Every pastry chef I know uses a microwave. It must work well.

If you're paying attention and have a responsive pan you use direct heat. I realize every cookbook says that doing so will cause a kitten to die. I'm just not often in that big a hurry. There are other things to do while the chocolate melts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate