Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Popular tea

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Arey

Arey
  • participating member
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

2 a day. 1 around 4:00PM and 1 after dinner.
"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

#32 huiray

huiray
  • participating member
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Nowadays, around 2-3 cups of Chinese green tea or oolong tea or jasmine tea on average. I still drink coffee, although it used to be almost always coffee in the mornings (and after a good meal at a nice restaurant). "English-type" or Indian teas, none at all. I can't remember the last time I had something like Earl Grey (gag) or tea with milk in it. The latter I guess it would have been the last time I had a full-blown English Tea with crumpets and scones and all but I can't remember when the last time for *that* was.

#33 Charcuterer

Charcuterer
  • participating member
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

I have 3 (12 oz) cups per day. Usually 2 in the morning and one after lunch. I drink either a Scottish breakfast blend or a Keemun in the morning and a Darjeeling in the afternoon. Lately though I've been drinking a lovely Assam Bukhial for one of my cups in the morning very malty and rich. Right now I am having a cup of Keemun that I got on a visit to Chinatown in New York City last weekend. It's very good but so strong it could double as paint remover.

#34 qrn

qrn
  • participating member
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

one,but its lots more than a cup,,,(haven't measured its actual size.....
Bud

#35 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Many cups: but as the cups range in volume from 2 to 12 oz, what's perhaps more relevant is that I brew up 2-3 sessions with different sets of leaves.

#36 nasi goreng

nasi goreng
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

2 to 3, but from a stone beer mug, so that equates to about 1 to 1.5 ltr per day, sometimes more.
I drink all types of tea, from the cheap tea bags, to a special mix designed by my grandma to green tea.
I don't drink a lot of coffee anymore. I used to and it never gave me any problems. But were I live now, people mainly drink instant coffee and I don't care for the taste.

#37 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:27 AM

Okay, maybe my answer should have been "zero". My tea is basically just serving to replace the coffee I mostly dropped. I'm just tossing a Red Rose tea bag in a big mug of hot water and adding a bit of sugar and milk. If I'm feeling fancy, I may toss in an Earl Grey bag instead. I'm pretty sure that doesn't even count among true tea lovers. :biggrin:

As an aside, has anyone else noticed there's a temp where tea is really soothing going down? It seems like there's a temp where it's almost, but not quite, too hot to drink that is really nice in the throat. It doesn't stay at that temp for very long, I wish it did.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#38 naguere

naguere
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

Years ago, as a British soldier, tea was provided at every meal,

brewed in Tea Urns, always freshly made and a can of Carnation Evaporated milk added.

This is the same method since WW1, and perhaps before

Fresh and hot it was splendid and revived you, but it could not keep, a second mug, carried back to your barrackroom never tasted the same.

I have never had the courage to buy a can of Carnation Evaporated Milk to replicate that feeling.

Who cares how time progresses..

Today I am drinking ale.

(Edgar Allen Poe)

#39 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

Totally depends. If it's a day I have the samovar or stacked kettle going, then I'm drinking stikans of chai (what's in my avatar-always ceylon tea, incidentally!) all day long, at half hour to hour intervals. If I'm feeling like busting out my Tokoname teapot, then typically 3-6 mugs of Japanese green tea, depending if I do 1 or 2 loads (3 mugs or so per dose of tea). And if I'm doing neither, then it can range from 0 cups per day, to a pot of Lapsang, to one or two mugs of Ahmad English Tea No. 1 tea bag with milk.

#40 egalicontrarian

egalicontrarian
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

On good days I have two pots. On great days I have two pots of something strong like Pu-erh in the morning and two pots, usually of a green tea, in the afternoon.

#41 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

My new answer to this question is "zero". I went off tea completely 3 weeks ago. I'm going to stay off of both coffee and tea for a while. The goal is to eventually allow myself an occasional cup of coffee or tea without getting back into the extreme excess. If I'm too weak-willed to do that, then I'll be staying off of both altogether.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#42 John Delaney

John Delaney
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

It depends on the day for me but usually around 4 to 6 cups of tea. 

#43 ericparkr

ericparkr
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

2 in a day. One with breakfast and one around 4:00 pm..