Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Top Chef: Seattle

• Please log in to reply
381 replies to this topic

#61 eternal

eternal
  • participating member
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

I have to admit I am enjoying it, maybe just because I am a Seattle native and it is exciting to see places I know. I can't say who stands out for me out of the remaining chefs. I liked CJ, hope he does well in last chance kitchen.

I think living in Seattle has helped boost my interest as well.

#62 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

I like: the Seattle location
I dislike: John Tesar...what a pompous ass he appears to be!
Also, the team challenges, I don't get it. They take away from each other.
I wish "Last Chance Kitchen" was available on my cable and I don't know why it's not.

#63 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

I like John Tesar. Talented, speaks his mind, gracious (yes, he has been) and accepting in his own way. :-)

Joshua Valentine - now THERE'S a prick of the first order. ;-)

Regarding "Last Chance Kitchen" - it is designed as a web-only feature viewable on the Bravo website, so - no, it is not available on one's cable service, whether in the US or elsewhere.

Edited by huiray, 18 December 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#64 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Regarding "Last Chance Kitchen" - it is designed as a web-only feature viewable on the Bravo website, so - no, it is not available on one's cable service, whether in the US or elsewhere.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that's how it works.

#65 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

I have to admit I am enjoying it, maybe just because I am a Seattle native and it is exciting to see places I know. I can't say who stands out for me out of the remaining chefs. I liked CJ, hope he does well in last chance kitchen.

I think living in Seattle has helped boost my interest as well.

I've lived in the Northwest for 55 years and that's also boosted my interest in the show this season. But at the same time, because I have a higher interest in the show I have greater expectations from the Chefs. I've lived with the bounty of the Pacific Northwest my entire life so I know what a gift it is to a Chef to be exposed to all these wonderful products. I hope they'll step up their game in the remaining weeks and show us more creativity.

In the past I've clearly spotted a front-runner at this point in the competition, but I don't have a front-runner yet this season. I guess if I was forced to name one at this point, I'd say John Tesar, although I'd like to smack him for his rude personality. On the other hand, I can name any number of Chefs lagging behind. If you can name more weak Chefs than strong ones, that's probably not a good sign.

#66 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that's how it works.

http://www.bravotv.c...-chance-kitchen

Joan Rivers says she's starting a new charity - "Feels on Wheels" - a service delivering sexual contact to the elderly.

#67 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

On the other hand, I can name any number of Chefs lagging behind. If you can name more weak Chefs than strong ones, that's probably not a good sign.

Which is why Season 6 was such a good one (the Voltaggio brothers, Kevin Gillespie, Jennifer Carroll) in my opinion. OTOH, some have said that it was sort-of a cop-out *because* the front-runners were so obvious right from the beginning and everyone else was just filler to stretch out the season for the requisite number of episodes.

#68 Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

For having a lot of potential -- head to head matchups, good ingredients to work with -- last night's episode was a bit of a snooze. Stefan's banter is the best thing going this year. Maybe it's just that we're at that dreaded part of every Top Chef season where you pretty much know who's going to be in the top -- right now Kristen, John, Stefan, Sheldon, look like the front runners -- but are just waiting to weed out the lesser likes of Micah, Josie, & Josh.

#69 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

I gave up on it and will watch the reruns next week.

#70 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

You just know the production team wanted the chefs to cook on roller skates.
Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#71 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Dunno why, but last night's elimination competition really bored me. But I liked the quickfire. I love oysters.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#72 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

As soon as Padma looked at the contestants and told them they had to make a breakfast on a stick, I looked at my husband and told him that I felt the shark circling. We've been watching on DVR, so I don't remember what episode that was, but I feel like this season we've been zipping through a lot of content that wasn't worth our time to watch.
MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#73 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

I'm getting caught up on episodes--at number 7 right now, the "Foiled Again" show. I wanted to throw something at the television when I saw Josie pair Dungeness Crab and Sockeye Salmon with Raspberries. You don't have to be from the Pacific Northwest to realize that raspberries don't go with fresh, beautiful seafood. At least most of the time. (Years ago a famous Northwest Chef did a stunning dish of seared salmon with a raspberry sauce). Josie really mucked up stuffing the seafood into a spring roll and pairing it with a cloying mayonnaise sauce. Then raspberries.

She should have gone home, but alas, survived. Why did they ever bring her back? But she's just a symptom of a disease that's raising its ugly head as the season progresses--these Chefs haven't fully learned that sometimes less, (as in a fresh gooseberry), is better, as opposed to more, (as in gooseberries with chorizo), Chef John.

#74 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

My confidence is somewhat restored as I watch episode 8 and the quickfire challenge with fresh oysters. Micah did something very simple yet somewhat difficult--perfectly frying an oyster. It must be crispy, but it still should be basically raw in the center, just warmed through by the hot oil bath. And as fate would have it, I myself had fried fresh Pacific oysters for dinner last night. I have a bit more experience than Micah, having fried oysters for oh, about 40 years or so.

#75 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

I'm getting caught up on episodes--at number 7 right now, the "Foiled Again" show. I wanted to throw something at the television when I saw Josie pair Dungeness Crab and Sockeye Salmon with Raspberries. You don't have to be from the Pacific Northwest to realize that raspberries don't go with fresh, beautiful seafood. At least most of the time. (Years ago a famous Northwest Chef did a stunning dish of seared salmon with a raspberry sauce). Josie really mucked up stuffing the seafood into a spring roll and pairing it with a cloying mayonnaise sauce. Then raspberries.

She should have gone home, but alas, survived. Why did they ever bring her back? But she's just a symptom of a disease that's raising its ugly head as the season progresses--these Chefs haven't fully learned that sometimes less, (as in a fresh gooseberry), is better, as opposed to more, (as in gooseberries with chorizo), Chef John.

Why did they bring her back? I can only assume for the drama factor which she is playing full force

#76 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

Why did they bring her back? I can only assume for the drama factor which she is playing full force

Yep, that's what I figure. Her cooking skills have been pretty woeful so far, so it's got to be the other stuff. The stuff that has nothing to do with her ability as a cook.

#77 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

My confidence is somewhat restored as I watch episode 8 and the quickfire challenge with fresh oysters. Micah did something very simple yet somewhat difficult--perfectly frying an oyster. It must be crispy, but it still should be basically raw in the center, just warmed through by the hot oil bath. And as fate would have it, I myself had fried fresh Pacific oysters for dinner last night. I have a bit more experience than Micah, having fried oysters for oh, about 40 years or so.

You bring up an interesting point. Many of these cooks are relative children with comparitively limited experience. It's easy for them to be confounded by a weird product or protein; or to be go down an unfamiliar path that leads to a mess. I wonder if age or variation in job experience correlates with success.

#78 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

You bring up an interesting point. Many of these cooks are relative children with comparitively limited experience. It's easy for them to be confounded by a weird product or protein; or to be go down an unfamiliar path that leads to a mess. I wonder if age or variation in job experience correlates with success.

I think you've hit upon a very important issue that we don't discuss enough these days but one that is spotlighted so often on Top Chef--young, funky, trendy, Chefs with a laundry list of cooking jobs on their resume, yet without a lot of life experience or mentoring to be able to withstand the basic, fundamental challenges. One example--Colicchio slapping himself silly at the Judges Table when a Chef doesn't understand the subtleties of seasoning or what to pair with fresh seafood. Blueberry Gastrique with Smoked Salmon and Pickled Oysters garnished with Candied Elderflowers and served with a Bloody Mary Shooter may sound tempting to some, but I think a more experienced, as in life experience, Chef, may tell you a fresh oyster with lemon is much better. Chef John is a bit older and his experience is showing, (even though he's a pain in the rear).

#79 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

I still want Stefan to win. He was robbed in his season.

#80 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 347 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

I want Stefan to win as well, but I always go for the nice guy. Josie can't be booted soon enough to suit me, she's such an ill-mannered yutz!

#81 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

I want Stefan to win as well, but I always go for the nice guy. Josie can't be booted soon enough to suit me, she's such an ill-mannered yutz!

An "ill-mannered yutz!" is quite simply, the best description of a shallow Top Chef contestant that I've ever heard. Bravo, (not the network).

#82 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

I want Stefan or John-the-most-hated to win.

I want Josie to be the secret ingredient on Iron Chef.

#83 Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

I didn't care for that challenge at all. If the scallops weren't good, I'm not sure what Liz(?) could have done to make a good scallop dish -- I guess she would have had to use something else as a "scallop" and explain why.

I was generally rooting for John, but his whining this episode was off-putting. You're never going to be cooking under ideal conditions on Top Chef -- that's the point! All the talk about sharing the pickles was weird too. When a contestant starts focusing more on gamesmanship than cooking (a la Spike) they're setting themselves up for failure.

#84 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

I didn't care for that challenge at all. If the scallops weren't good, I'm not sure what Liz(?) could have done to make a good scallop dish -- I guess she would have had to use something else as a "scallop" and explain why.

I was generally rooting for John, but his whining this episode was off-putting. You're never going to be cooking under ideal conditions on Top Chef -- that's the point! All the talk about sharing the pickles was weird too. When a contestant starts focusing more on gamesmanship than cooking (a la Spike) they're setting themselves up for failure.

True, but I do feel that John Tesar did get the shaft this episode. Yes, he was somewhat of a dick this episode as shown and/or as edited but I did feel he got a raw deal. The "risotto curse" strikes again, at the least. (I do agree that his complaint of non-flat pots, where the burners they had were gas rather than electric, were not persuasive - but OTOH if all he had were "lumpy-bottomed" pots [the other cheftestants having gotten the better ones] then I would go along to an extent with his complaint...)

Barely edible/"food-poisoning category" scallops? Wow, I would have pushed that to the utter bottom.

Tesar, in his "talking heads", did not do himself too many favors - but in the scenes as broadcast of his actual working with others he certainly seemed like someone who was trying to get on with everyone else.

Joshua Valentine - now *that* is someone of the first rank of DICKINESS. What a piece of sh*t that one is. As for Josie - why is she even still there? (Ditto, why is Valentine still there)

#85 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Any of these chefs who get on to the show and then spend a tremendous amount of time and energy grousing about the ingredients, the challeges and the other contestants while simulateously bragging about how they are So. Frackin'. Awesome! (I'm lookin' at you John) need to get smacked with a clue-bat. How many seasons are we into now? Send them off to the gas station vending machines for a challenge and let 'em whine.

#86 Judy Wilson

Judy Wilson
  • participating member
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hi guys!

I thought you might be interested in the menu we served to the chefs in the web clip. We blogged about it here: http://modernistcuis...ernist-cuisine/
Judy Wilson
Editorial Assistant
Modernist Cuisine

#87 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Hi guys!

I thought you might be interested in the menu we served to the chefs in the web clip. We blogged about it here: http://modernistcuis...ernist-cuisine/

Wow, thanks for sharing. I think you really inspired the Chefs.

#88 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Oh there's the video!

#89 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Fascinating!!!