Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Registering "Modernist Cuisine" books?

Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

Yar. even I figured it out. had to take my iPad to the library though ...

#32 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 362 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

To register, you have to use a tablet or smart phone to scan the QR code and then enter the scratch-off number. If you don't have either device, you might try borrowing someone's (come to think of it, that's a pretty good marketing strategy...now you have to show your friend the book!). It doesn't tie to a phone number or anything like that. It just ties to your account on modernistcuisine.com.

Seriously? Ya'll have created an unreasonable hurdle to registration for those of us without smart phones and can't be bothered to fix the problem. But the silver lining (for ya'll) is that it might be a pretty good marketing strategy. Seriously?

#33 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:46 AM

To register, you have to use a tablet or smart phone to scan the QR code and then enter the scratch-off number. If you don't have either device, you might try borrowing someone's (come to think of it, that's a pretty good marketing strategy...now you have to show your friend the book!). It doesn't tie to a phone number or anything like that. It just ties to your account on modernistcuisine.com.

Seriously? Ya'll have created an unreasonable hurdle to registration for those of us without smart phones and can't be bothered to fix the problem. But the silver lining (for ya'll) is that it might be a pretty good marketing strategy. Seriously?

You can use QR readers with computer webcams, 99% of computers have them these days. I've even seen programs / sites that will decode a photo of a QR code, so there are other ways to do it. And if you still can't manage that then don't worry about it. Registering your copy doesn't give you any benifits so you're not missin out on anything.

Edited by Merkinz, 18 November 2012 - 01:46 AM.

#34 HowardLi

HowardLi
  • participating member
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:49 AM

Yeah, the only problem was that the included QR code reader on my BB 9700 wouldn't recognize the code. I had to download NeoReader to check it out. And man oh man do programs want access to damn near everything now.

#35 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 362 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

Merkinz, thanks for the tip, but my laptop (two years old) doesn't have a webcam. I'll probably end up using Judy's suggestion of borrowing a friend's smart phone, but it won't be a "good marketing" moment.

#36 Judy Wilson

Judy Wilson
  • participating member
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Sorry, pbear. I didn't mean to offend. It was just a (poor) joke.
Judy Wilson
Editorial Assistant
Modernist Cuisine

#37 Docrjm

Docrjm
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

I have just taken delivery of the volumes, from Amazon. Shiny and new, but can not find any QR codes etc. Could someone kindly advise as to which volume I should be looking, or is there another esoteric method of registration. Thanks in advance

Raymond

#38 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,375 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

MCaH has a QR code on the inside of the back cover. MC doesn't have a QR code (at least the printing I have doesn't): to register, you follow the instructions on the MC site to find and enter a number on a specific page in a specific volume (as far as I remember).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#39 Docrjm

Docrjm
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

Mjx thanks for the reply and the help.
Raymond

#40 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,375 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

Docrjm, you're welcome, I hope it actually helped, and that there isn't an entirely different process for doing this now.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook