Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cheap eating in Turkey, Syia, Jordan and Israel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 piracer

piracer
  • participating member
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:43 PM

I'm going on a backpacking trip in 3 weeks time and was wondering if there are places i should go to for some good and preferbly cheap eats or places that i shouldnt miss. We'll be hitting up these stops

Istanbul

Konya

Goreme (Cappadocia)

Tarsus

Antakya

Aleppo

Hama

Homs

Palmyra

Damascus

Amman

Petra

Aqaba

Beersheva

Jerusalem & the West Bank

Any information for any of these places would really be appreciated (along with perhaps hostels and such if anyone knows)

#2 gethin

gethin
  • participating member
  • 224 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:55 AM

This may be a bit late to be useful but:

Istanbul - check out www.istanbuleats.com if you haven't already. It's really strong on reviews of cheap, authentic places.

Konya- not much of a restaurant scene and even less if you want somwhere that serves alcohol. Mevlevi Sofrasi (Nasimbey Cad -next to the Mevlana tekke and tomb etc) is probably the best for a proper meal nd has an english speaking owner. Kosk Konya Mutfagi (sorry not using a Turkish Keyboard so - you'll need to imagine the umlaut over the o and cidilla ander the s in Kosk and the bar over the g in Mutfagi) on Topraklik Cad. (thats an i without a dot in Topraklik) is another option. There are some decent breakfast places on Alaeddin Cad and Mevlans Cad and plenty of places to try firin kebab.

Antakya- there is an enthusiastic review of Sultan Sofrasi on istanbul eats today- part of an occassional foray to other parts of Turkey. For most of my time in Antakya last summer, I was suffering the after effects of some dodgy bici-bici eaten in Adana before arriving there so I wasn't up to eating much, but there were some interesting offerings on the hotel breakfast buffet, including something that looked like coffee grounds mixed in olive oil ( the waiter simply called it kekik -which is varioiusly translated as oregoan and thyme but seems to be used to cover most aromatic herbs) and Siirt cheese- both well worth trying.

Ferah (near the Ulu Camii) is supposedto be the best place for kunefe - i wasn't taken by it myself- it was just too much like a mozzarella in carrozza steeped in sugar syrup.

#3 piracer

piracer
  • participating member
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:31 AM

thnks anyway, will checko ut the website. Im leaving on the 14th and looking forward to it all!