Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Tiki Drink Discussion Topic

• Please log in to reply
394 replies to this topic

#391 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,935 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:12 PM

Hmmm - wonder how it would work with good quality unsweetened dried coconut?

I know at least one person who did that, for the MxMo Coconut challenge.

For me, it made more sense to use fresh since it's available, and I did not really mind the extra work. Also I needed the coconut water for the challenge already.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, Yesterday, 04:12 PM.

#392 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,484 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:41 PM

Jo - it's great to read that you enjoyed it!

Is this really tiki? Ok, let's say that it is heavily tiki-influenced, although the flavor is unusual for a tiki drink. After making a coconut orgeat, I finally had a chance to duplicate a drink I had at Son of a Gun some time ago (snow cone in the back in the photo). Lost Cause (Daniel Warrilow) with aquavit (Krogstad), white rum (Banks was specified, so I used Plantation 3 stars with a touch of batavia arrack), coconut syrup (homemade coconut orgeat), lemon, lime, acid phosphate. Shake with ice, strain onto fresh shave ice (crushed), like a snow cone. Some versions of the recipe published online don't include the phosphate, but I was really eager to use mine.

9228322760_11bee18075_z.jpg

A few thoughts on this one. First I tried to imitate shave ice by running crushed ice through a blender. Rookie mistake. I managed to get a finer texture, however the ice was completely water-logged which was obvious as soon as I tasted the cocktail. The flavors did not pop, it tasted mostly of lemon juice and everything else got lost. Very sad.

But I was not going to give up, even on a lost cause, so I forged ahead and made a second one, this time strained onto fresh crushed ice. It tasted like a different cocktail altogether. The aquavit gives a savory note that is really interesting combined with the coconut. All the different acids were fun together, with the acid phosphate (I only used a couple of drops) giving an extra lift, a slight tingling sensation on the tongue. Very cool. Hoping to find more interesting things by Daniel Warrilow after this one and the Crafty & Elusive Elk.

15263485255_b0a3133d0c_z.jpg

Could one obtain a similar flavor effect from carbonation?

#393 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,844 posts

Posted Today, 10:08 AM

I know at least one person who did that, for the MxMo Coconut challenge.

For me, it made more sense to use fresh since it's available, and I did not really mind the extra work. Also I needed the coconut water for the challenge already.

I wonder if this would be a good application for the fresh-frozen pre-grated coconut you can buy in Asian markets. I've used it in the past for coconut milk for Thai dishes, and it sounds like this is a similar process.

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#394 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,935 posts

Posted Today, 10:17 AM

Could one obtain a similar flavor effect from carbonation?

You will get the tingle, but not the dry sourness.

#395 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,484 posts

Posted Today, 04:46 PM

I'm not so sure.  I tried hyper-carbonating a batch of maison rotuts.  The result had the tingle and a dry sourness.  Over sour, for me, actually, and I like sour.

Anyhow, it was just a thought, I probably ought to look into getting myself some acid phosphate.