Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Fish/clam chowder

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick
  • legacy participant
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 05:48 AM

The only cooking I use milk/cream for is a fish or clam chowder and lobster stew. Do you make them and how do you do it?

Thanks

#2 Michel Nischan

Michel Nischan
  • legacy participant
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 02:15 PM

I use corn juice. The corn juice thickens itself to choweder consistency simply by heating it. I shuk live clams into the thickened corn chowder, off the fire, being careful to see that all juice from the shell goes into the chowder. Because there is no butter or bacon fat roux masking the flavors, the small amount of clam juice from the shells and fresh clams show through. Corn and clams like each other so it;s a good match. Dice and roast the veggies you would like to add and fold them into the chowder (grill corn on the cob and slice the grilled corn off as well). Freshen it with lemon juice and tarragon.