Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Aperitivo Americano

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#31 TexasCocktailGeek

TexasCocktailGeek
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

Great to know! Then I won't be afraid to ship whatever I can't fit in my suitcase from Anchor & St. George (we'll be visiting San Francisco next month).
Jeff Fox
Aspiring Cocktailian

#32 vice

vice
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:36 AM

It's arrived at DrinkUpNY.
Dave Viola, aka vice
Host, eG Forums
dviola@eGstaff.org

#33 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

It's here in RI. We are using it at Cook & Brown Public House in our Vesperasti:

1 1/2 oz Cocchi Americano
1 1/2 oz Bluecoat gin
scant dash lemon juice
scant dash Angostura

Stir; strain; coupe. We have some wild angelica that we're using as a garnish; a small lemon twist would also work. ("Scant dash" = ten drops, if you're obsessive.)

I'm so thrilled to have this to play with!
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#34 Mike S.

Mike S.
  • participating member
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

I cannot wait until this stuff comes in stock someplace near me. Any sightings yet in Northern California??
Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
- Bogart

#35 MikeInSacto

MikeInSacto
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

I believe that Corti Brothers in Sacramento has carried it for quite some time now. I'll doublecheck next time I'm there.

#36 Mike S.

Mike S.
  • participating member
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

Mike, as it happens I was at Corti Bros. yesterday (Sunday) and specifically looked for it. Didn't find it, but also didn't ask -- which was probably stupid! Let me know if you find it there, because I would absolutely drive up for a couple of bottles.
Cheers,

Mike

- Bogart

#37 db_campbell

db_campbell
  • participating member
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

In North Carolina (Chapel Hill) at Southern Season, as of today. Enjoyed as Eric suggested, over ice w/ splash of soda & orange twist as an aperitif. Pretty epic.

#38 MikeInSacto

MikeInSacto
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

Mike, as it happens I was at Corti Bros. yesterday (Sunday) and specifically looked for it. Didn't find it, but also didn't ask -- which was probably stupid! Let me know if you find it there, because I would absolutely drive up for a couple of bottles.

Man, I could swear I've seen it there several times (and considered buying it myself). I'll make it a point to check in there next weekend and find out for sure.

(BTW, great store, isn't it?)

#39 Mike S.

Mike S.
  • participating member
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:16 AM

Corti Bros. is the definition of a great store. Literally "worth the drive from anywhere." Love that place!
Cheers,

Mike

- Bogart

#40 eas

eas
  • participating member
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:38 AM

Darrell Corti of Corti Brothers was instrumental in helping us bring back the Cocchi Americano. The man and his store are extraordinary.

#41 jmfangio

jmfangio
  • participating member
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

Woo hoo! KL Wines in Hollywood has it back in stock.
"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

#42 Mike S.

Mike S.
  • participating member
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

I now have an ample supply in-house. Let the experiments begin!
Cheers,

Mike

- Bogart

#43 Mike S.

Mike S.
  • participating member
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

Um...yeah, the Cocchi is absolutely brilliant. I love it any which way. Drinking a Vesper now (3 parts Beefeater, 1 part Stoli Blue Label, 1/2 part Cocchi, shaken, big lemon twist) and it's probably the best "Martini" I've ever had. CR#2 last night was a revelation. Wonderful on the rocks with a splash of soda and a lemon slice. Even my wife likes it. Can't wait to cook with it. Steamed mussels with leeks, tarragon and butter? Buy this stuff by the case!

Thank you, thank you to Eric (and apparently Darrell Corti!) for bringing this stuff back to us. I'll never be without it from now on.
Cheers,

Mike

- Bogart

#44 TexasCocktailGeek

TexasCocktailGeek
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

Picked up my first bottle from Spec's on Smith Street last night, and made an absolutely awesome Corpse Reviver #2 with it! I laughed out loud when I got to the shelf at the store - someone had taped a note there reading "Egulleteers: your long wait is over!"
Jeff Fox
Aspiring Cocktailian

#45 campus five

campus five
  • participating member
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:52 PM

Here's hoping I actually get around to using some of it in cocktail before I polish off the bottle by drinking it on the rocks with an orange twist. So delicious.

#46 MikeInSacto

MikeInSacto
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

For the record, here's a portion of the Corti Brother Summer Newsletter:

Back After an Absence: Cocchi Americano Aperitif

For summer drinking–or anytime drinking for that matter–Cocchi Americano. Corti Brothers was the first to offer this Piemontese aperitif several years ago, and after some “discussions” with Washington, D.C., Cocchi Americano is back in the States. Art work on the label was the problem, now resolved.

Cocchi Americano has been produced in Asti, Italy, since 1891. The name “americano” does not mean what it looks like, but is a linguistic distortion of “amaricante” or bittering. This class of drink was very popular at the end of the 19th century and the Cocchi version is the only one that was a light color. Normally they were more or less brownish red.

Cocchi Americano is wonderful for the warm days of summer. Just pour it into a glass, add some ice cubes, a slice of fresh orange and a splash of soda water for a wonderfully refreshing drink that can be made as tall or short as you like.

When you don’t want a glass of wine, and stronger spirits are not appealing, Cocchi Americano with its slightly bitter and pungent flavor and its 16.5% alcohol diluted even further with water can prove to be exactly the right choice. In fact, you might forget about the other choices all together.

Cocchi Americano Aperitif 16.5% 750ml $22.99 (#2559) Case of 6 $ 124.00 (#2559C)

#47 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

Got a new bottle just now. Any additional thoughts? In particular, if there are classic Kina Lillet drinks that work well with the Cocchi, please share.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#48 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

I could drink this straight on ice all day long.

#49 jparrott

jparrott
  • participating member
  • 278 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:46 AM

Got a new bottle just now. Any additional thoughts? In particular, if there are classic Kina Lillet drinks that work well with the Cocchi, please share.

Twentieth Century works great. We had a customer hounding us (and Eric) for Cocchi (and stockpiling Marie Brizard white cacao when its availability was dicey) just to put a Twentieth Century on the menu.
Jake Parrott
Ledroit Brands, LLC
Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

#50 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:30 AM

Huh. Perhaps it's finally time for me to get a bottle of creme de cacao, which I've been avoiding for complex, irrational reasons.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#51 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

I managed to get a bottle this summer. The first thing I tried it in was a Vesper. Man, what a difference! The Cocchi pokes through the liquor in a way that the Lillet is incapable of. Naturally, the next thing to try after that is the Corpse Reviver #2.
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#52 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:44 AM

Huh. Tried it last night in a CR#2 and didn't really like it as much as with the Lillet. It was equal parts Citadelle gin, lemon, MB triple sec, and Cocchi, with a dash of Marteau. Too busy, I think. Retry with Plymouth & Kübler tonight?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#53 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,117 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

I've loved it with Tanqueray, Cointreau, lemon, Aperitivo Americano and a few drops of Vieux Pontarlier.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#54 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

Drops makes more sense than a dash...
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#55 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

Drops makes more sense than a dash...

Drops are very important, a heavy hand with Absinthe is not the best idea here. And since I'm already giving an opinion, I think citadelle is perhaps not the best choice for this type of drink (though really I'm not much on it in general).
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#56 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:50 PM

I do like Citadelle, but in a CR2 it's probably best to stick with Lillet. When using the Aperitivo Americano, a more assertive gin, as Sam suggested, works better. I used Junipero, and in the Vesper as well.
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#57 sbumgarner

sbumgarner
  • participating member
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

I happen to love the Cocchi in a CR2, even using a less assertive gin like Plymouth. It (along with the Vieux Pontalier I recently picked up) transformed that drink for me from good if not memorable to "holy sh--, I could drink this all night". Been trying to come up with some other non-classic uses - had some blueberry shrub left over from the summer and thought it might play well with the Cocchi, tried this out a few weeks ago.

2 oz Junipero
.5 blueberry shrub
.5 Cocchi
.25 lemon

Shake, strain into cocktail glass. First sip or two is pretty intense but after that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

#58 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

I went to try the Cochi CR2, but found I was out. :sad: I used Creole Shrubb and Bonal Gentiane Quina instead. Happiness ensued.

I used Sapphire, but probably a more juniper-forward gin would be better. Seneca Drums Gin from Finger Lakes Distilling would have been good, but it too is all gone.

Edited by EvergreenDan, 26 October 2010 - 06:03 PM.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#59 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

I went to try the Cochi CR2, but found I was out. :sad: I used Creole Shrubb and Bonal Gentiane Quina instead. Happiness ensued.

You used Bonal in a CR2? That really worked? I might have to try that.
Mike

#60 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

Made a Vesperasti at home with Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas Decanter bitters. Great use of the terrific JT bitters.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory