Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I always have to smile when @shain says something like a few spices (incl. caraway, fennel, paprika, coriander). That is more than the average person has a working knowledge of. Everything always looks and sounds extremely appealing ;) Oh and I still want to see that pantry stocked with magic. 

Thanks :)

I shared my pantry pics once:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160963-your-pantry/?do=findComment&comment=2252112

  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, shain said:

 

Now I remember. What came to mind was the old American folk song:  "The old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be". Change to grey matter in my case https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Gray_Mare

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@ambra, you know I never had ribollita? For me it’s one of the few things that I totally understand you need to have in Toscana, with the right bread to get it right, so I would not even attempt to do at home. Soon or later...

 

 We are never been big on chicken but we discovered we really like  this heritage chicken from our frozen food market, so I think we are going to establish a chicken night from now on 😁

44078B07-DD66-40E8-88C5-1B055399BEEF.jpeg

  • Like 18
  • Delicious 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cod with lemon and capers, roasted cauliflower, salad. 
 

46140826-84C7-410D-9073-7A1BDDA8BAF6.thumb.jpeg.060b7276664124b97008778ca56da487.jpeg

  • Like 17
  • Delicious 2
"I like 'em french fried pertaters." (Billy Bob Thornton as Karl, in Sling Blade.)
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not quite cold enough but I wanted lasagna. I make my sauce from scratch. I know some of you use cottage cheese but that makes me nuts. I used sweet Italian sausage on my sauce. Not my best effort but it was delicious. Cheesy, meaty and delicious. I’m tempted to go get more.   

  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Franci said:

@ambra, you know I never had ribollita? For me it’s one of the few things that I totally understand you need to have in Toscana, with the right bread to get it right, so I would not even attempt to do at home. Soon or later...

I hope you can eat it one day! If you are vegetable dependent like we are, it's a delicious alternative to minestrone. 😀  Since we moved, I've thought about making the bread at home, but it's just been easier to bring it back, also because we buy breads made from specific flours. There are actually a lot of things we like to bring back, but I won't bore you. :)  P.S. your chicken looks perfect! 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Chinese inspired Omelette. 

Soy, Sesame, Bean Sprouts, Cabbage, Brocoli, Pork, Spring Onions. 

 

Possibly American Chinese? I struggled to find the correct fu/foo yung/young combo. So Omelette it is. Also cooked without oil. 

 

I know when I was younger and fussier Duck Foo Yung was the first 'Chinese' dish I ever got from the takeaway. Prior to that moment of Culinary Bravery, my parents always just got me a bag of hot chips. 

 

20201015_204058.thumb.jpg.83a2f7893d281d80ee0e63bb185143a3.jpg

 

I think I was 17 😂

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 12
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ambra said:

I hope you can eat it one day! If you are vegetable dependent like we are, it's a delicious alternative to minestrone. 😀  Since we moved, I've thought about making the bread at home, but it's just been easier to bring it back, also because we buy breads made from specific flours. There are actually a lot of things we like to bring back, but I won't bore you. :)  P.S. your chicken looks perfect! 

 

 

 

 

Now I am curious which bread you buy! BTW, I don’t know if anybody is interested but I find the only bread doesn’t give me the gluey effect (needed bread for meatballs for example) when I was in Brooklyn was to use friselle from my Italian deli. There are many kinds of friselle, some are really crusty and whole wheat, I am talking about the plain one, white flour. Good thing is that they are dry, so you can keep long time, just need to soak with some liquid. 

 

 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Franci said:

 

Now I am curious which bread you buy! BTW, I don’t know if anybody is interested but I find the only bread doesn’t give me the gluey effect (needed bread for meatballs for example) when I was in Brooklyn was to use friselle from my Italian deli. There are many kinds of friselle, some are really crusty and whole wheat, I am talking about the plain one, white flour. Good thing is that they are dry, so you can keep long time, just need to soak with some liquid. 

 

 

I agree 1,000% about the gluey effect in meatballs! 

 

We love Pane Verna. It's an heirloom soft wheat from around Siena and Arezzo. I can certainly buy the flour, but where we get it, they use lievito madre (and that's too much work for me to keep up). Plus, they have the right oven. I also really like macinato a pietra (Just stone ground), which doesn't seem to be very popular in Milan. These flours are always darker and have a lot more flavor and texture than the over-processed white flours we have. Especially good in panzanella. There are no extra ingredients in them. It's just flour, water and yeast. Anyway, my CSA has excellent bread for every day use.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Banh mi.  Chicken for the nephew

 

148217121_chickenbanhmi.thumb.jpg.3c7f7c7f16f69db42f9750c69ed980d1.jpg

 

Salmon for my husband, sister, and me

 

1902113062_salmonbanhmi.thumb.jpg.96caf68071ba035e947e47d3e2cf2ae8.jpg

 

Purple daikon radish from my CSA made for neon pickles!  I threw some tater tots on the plate because why not?

  • Like 19
Link to post
Share on other sites

Paneer makhani with lots of fenugreek, as well as cardamom, dried chilies, curry leaves, cumin, coriander seeds, fennel, turmeric, some paprika, hing, cinnamon and black pepper. Most toasted or fried. The gravy base is onion, tomato, garlic, ginger and garlic - coked down and blended with cashews, cream and a bit of sugar. 

Saag lasooni dal - split peas and spinach. Quite a few spices but mostly curry leaves, cardamom, hing, turmeric, ginger, chilies and garlic. Finished with sliced garlic fried in butter, paprika and chili powder.

Rice, and a raita of yogurt with cucumber, garlic, chilies and toasted spices.

 

 

PXL_20201006_130229984.jpg

PXL_20201006_125848345.jpg

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Glazed haddock with ginger, bok choy, and shiitake mushrooms.  

 

1986180999_glazedhaddock.thumb.jpg.0354dfbbbb377880f1e125930d779daa.jpg

 

What is the glaze on the fish?  I'm always on the lookout for glazes/sauces for fish.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shain said:

Paneer makhani with lots of fenugreek, as well as cardamom, dried chilies, curry leaves, cumin, coriander seeds, fennel, turmeric, some paprika, hing, cinnamon and black pepper. Most toasted or fried. The gravy base is onion, tomato, garlic, ginger and garlic - coked down and blended with cashews, cream and a bit of sugar. 

Saag lasooni dal - split peas and spinach. Quite a few spices but mostly curry leaves, cardamom, hing, turmeric, ginger, chilies and garlic. Finished with sliced garlic fried in butter, paprika and chili powder.

Rice, and a raita of yogurt with cucumber, garlic, chilies and toasted spices.

 

 

PXL_20201006_130229984.jpg

PXL_20201006_125848345.jpg


Aaaaargh... I need to find cheap plane tickets to Israel. That looks so good !

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Duvel said:


Aaaaargh... I need to find cheap plane tickets to Israel. That looks so good !

 

Not if you're after good Indian food, it's hard to find here 😛

But thanks, I'm flattered.

  • Like 1

~ Shai N.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Chicken pot pie. Store bought crust and rotisserie chicken. Veggies were sliced, diced, cooked, seasoned and combined for filling by me. 
 

ETA: Is it hypocritical to be okay with using store-bought crusts and rotisserie chicken, but not okay with using canned cream of chicken soup to thicken the filling?
 

3A51B3E2-8F0D-4570-9C45-11F8DE1A1B8D.thumb.jpeg.157eece7a697091d4e45d8fbe7dbd272.jpeg

 

4593E991-65DE-436C-9894-9F6A06EBADDE.thumb.jpeg.8fa40a47b7234ae8b74c9cb9935d6609.jpeg

 

 

Edited by patti
Add question. (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 4
"I like 'em french fried pertaters." (Billy Bob Thornton as Karl, in Sling Blade.)
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, patti said:

 

Chicken pot pie. Store bought crust and rotisserie chicken. Veggies were sliced, diced, cooked, seasoned and combined for filling by me. 
 

ETA: Is it hypocritical to be okay with using store-bought crusts and rotisserie chicken, but not okay with using canned cream of chicken soup to thicken the filling?
 

Everyone decides where to draw the line for themselves. :)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Everyone decides where to draw the line for themselves. :)

Sigh. Maybe I’ll learn how to make my own crust. 

  • Haha 1
"I like 'em french fried pertaters." (Billy Bob Thornton as Karl, in Sling Blade.)
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, patti said:

Sigh. Maybe I’ll learn how to make my own crust. 

It's all about picking which battles, and when.

 

I can knock out a crust readily enough, but some nights I'll just say "screw it" and drop a biscuit dough on top instead. And yeah, I'm not above using canned soup if I'm in that kind of a mood (my GF grew up with the canned-soup version, so for her it's even *more* comforting when it's made that way).

 

Bottom line, if you can put it on the table and enjoy it and not have to think or work too hard, sometimes that's all that's required.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...