• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

14 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou when you buy shrimp in your supermarket (or wherever you buy them) are they head-on and shell-on or do they come precleaned and headless?

I usually buy wild shrimp in the wet market where  they come live and wriggling, so they are head and shell intact! The ones I ate today, I cleaned and shelled apart from tails. Heads and shells are making a stock right now.

One of my local supermarkets also does live farmed shrimp, which I only buy if the wet market fails. Until recently that was rarely, but we live in strange times.

Otherwise, it's possible to buy dead ones either cleaned, decapitated or fully intact apart from life. These may or may not have been frozen. Frozen are also available. I very seldom go there.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I thought to make this for lunch but it’s almost 6:45PM so I’ll call it dinner. 
Pissaladière, with a chilled French rosé
2D24D318-AFE9-43E7-89DB-CF4EF2CB0DC7.thumb.jpeg.368691186bacfef09297f379007b910f.jpeg

Melissa Clark adds tomatoes in her new book so I put them on half. Fine either way. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

Dinner was strange in that I had an hour to prepare... Basically just threw the bird in the oven and took out when the thermometer said 135.   Sliced and covered with sauce... But, i had forgotten to make the Fonio this grain... And then I also forgot the potatoes in the oven and well, it went from thinking about how I was going to plate it to just throwing everything on the plate.. potatoes were salt baked in a covered clay dish.. kosher and sea salt.   While everything was technically good... and i may have been excited about it another time, i was not feeling it tonight.   

49839221338_e07fbd109e_z.jpg

Sauce was turkey stock, onion and butter, pomegranate molasses,  a few chiffonade ramps, zatar and wondra flour... It was good.  The ramp sausage stuffing was delicious.  This helped me finally finish the sausage, get rid of a game hen, use my old potatoes... Moving product... Oh,  the fonio had a hint of sesame oil.   Also made a salad with a japanese ginger dressing that a local ramen shop that turned into a grocery store makes. 

49839761826_e09abd8357_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

@BKEats I am in envy of your product selection. I am looking at 20 year old I think powdered ginger and thinking hhmmm let us try. Normally I'd run to market and get fresh or house pickled not now, I remember flying over the potato bunkers on way to ski in Idaho. I really want am Idaho Russet! 

• Like 4

One day I'll tell you folk the full story of an inexperienced and fool hardy Butcher. Who when gifted a full Rib primal, cut away the ugly meat, bashed it and aggressively marinated it, disrespectfully slashed it in to haphazard strips and threaded on to metal poles. Before over cooking it on a BBQ and bragging to her husband about her thriftyness with waste. 

Rib Cap Kebabs everybody 🤦‍♀️

20200501_184646.thumb.jpg.42435bf756c19e406019cdd4837be436.jpg

Chapter 2 is when she googles how to deal with Primal Cuts and realises her mistake. 

Edited by CantCookStillTry
Its. I added its (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 10

On 4/28/2020 at 5:37 PM, KennethT said:

Bison burgers with avocado...

Are you using the pre-ground and/or packaged ground bison?  I've been quite leery of serving/eating the packaged bison pink/red/blue, or even meat dept. case where it is fresh ground at whole foods.  Which makes it hard for me to eat because it gets so dry at even slightly higher temps, and we don't have much selection of other parts other than a "rib eye" cut which is simply $$$$$$.

Edited by jedovaty (log)

4 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

Are you using the pre-ground and/or packaged ground bison?  I've been quite leery of serving/eating the packaged bison pink/red/blue, or even meat dept. case where it is fresh ground at whole foods.  Which makes it hard for me to eat because it gets so dry at even slightly higher temps, and we don't have much selection of other parts other than a "rib eye" cut which is simply $$$$$$.

Yes, it is pre-ground and vacuum packed ground bison.  I definitely understand your concern about eating pre-ground meat that does not get pasteurized.  For me personally, I think that the risk is worth it - my wife and I are generally very healthy, so the possible bout with food poisoning most probably won't kill us.  Plus, we don't eat it very often, which lowers the risk considerably.  I also feel that the bison pre-ground at the processing plant and vacuum packed is safer than store ground - less hands that it has to go through, and I expect and sincerely hope that they are using safe practices at the processing plant - I'd imagine they would have stricter controls than they do at the grocery store as well.

28 minutes ago, KennethT said:

my wife and I are generally very healthy, so the possible bout with food poisoning most probably won't kill us. 

Hmmm, okay.  I'll probably just keep it safe for now.  I once ate some 6-week old tomato sauce from the fridge that smelled and tasted "okay", did not want to waste it.  The aftermath was one of the most surreal experiences of my life to date, because this was up on the playlist during The Great Expunging: https://youtu.be/u4LFC7Q9Ajc

Speaking of spaghetti sauce, dinner last night was ground dark-meat turkey in a long/slow reduced sauce with homemade noodles.

turkey and tomato sauce.jpg

Edited by jedovaty (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 2

10 hours ago, BKEats said:

Dinner was strange in that I had an hour to prepare... Basically just threw the bird in the oven and took out when the thermometer said 135.   Sliced and covered with sauce... But, i had forgotten to make the Fonio this grain... And then I also forgot the potatoes in the oven and well, it went from thinking about how I was going to plate it to just throwing everything on the plate.. potatoes were salt baked in a covered clay dish.. kosher and sea salt.   While everything was technically good... and i may have been excited about it another time, i was not feeling it tonight.   

49839221338_e07fbd109e_z.jpg

Sauce was turkey stock, onion and butter, pomegranate molasses,  a few chiffonade ramps, zatar and wondra flour... It was good.  The ramp sausage stuffing was delicious.  This helped me finally finish the sausage, get rid of a game hen, use my old potatoes... Moving product... Oh,  the fonio had a hint of sesame oil.   Also made a salad with a japanese ginger dressing that a local ramen shop that turned into a grocery store makes. 

49839761826_e09abd8357_z.jpg

So you're the one hording all the potatoes!  Looks yummy! (I admit I had to google Fonio......genetically created by a group of Brooklyn scientists of Italian descent and grown on rooftops.....amazing : )~

That wasn't chicken

When one dish for dinner is leftovers...

1897105847_Laghmanleftovers04-29.jpeg.ba426cfbf1456380d908bcf101a2e7c3.jpeg

I always try to make a side of something that's not leftovers. So, with the Uzbeki laghman above...

1155270478_GreenbeansSouthernstyle04-29_0807.jpeg.5c5c8ce20fe90968b96b305036e2b932.jpeg 

I did some Southern-style green beans. Southern-style, in my mind, means cooked to death. In this case, with some andouille sausage, some picked smoked ham hock, spring onions and chicken stock. Mmmmm good. And cooked in my new Staub 4-quart cocotte - Dutch oven.

That was 2 nights ago. Last night in the steam girl, I roasted this split Cornish game hen, from Joyce farms...

1964631508_Cornishhensramobutterroasted04-30IMG_0812.jpeg.2033830b9f0b4a89cbf83cad7d084fd5.jpeg

Which was stuffed under the skin and on top of the skin and below with lots of ramp butter. The potatoes didn't suffer for that. And alongside...

1757290891_MushroomSpanish04-30.jpeg.eb892a5ee0cf8e015e8106991793e5fb.jpeg

Spanish-style mushrooms. Cooked with ramp butter, sherry, mushroom stock. saffron, pimentón, spring onion, thyme and lemon.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Ronnie has been almost perfect about staying home and away from people.  He's much more of a "goer" than I am.  He's in the high risk category so I've been the one going in to get groceries, prescriptions etc.  I've been out much more during this pandemic than I was before sigh.  Always being safe, not touching face or hair, wearing a mask and I bring a few precious Clorox wipes with me in a ziplock.  Anyway, it was a beautiful day yesterday and Ronnie really wanted to go fishing at a lake about an hour from here.  We decided I'd stay home with the dogs and he would go unless when he got there the lake was packed with people.  Only 4 boats on the whole lake!  So, he got to be out for a few hours and brought some crappie and white bass home without being around a single soul :) .

So asparagus salad, fish and mac and cheese last night

thumbnail_IMG_7750.jpg.4a91e5ac3f9a6ebdfbb07735d333fe58.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7751.jpg.4b9b1f04c850162169bdc1432983c3e8.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7752.jpg.90816669b30435a98e6c7d16d13b43b8.jpg

• Like 19

@weinoo Lovely looking meal with interesting components.  I love the idea of cooking green beans with Andouille sausage ( have some homemade in the freezer).  We've been buying some frozen veg lately including beans but what could I sub for the pickled smoked ham hock besides a smoked ham hock & vinegar?  How about liquid smoke and vinegar?... a little of both.  Or I have some pork meat from our whole pig BBQ...maybe some of that..it's got smokey outside pieces.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@weinoo Lovely looking meal with interesting components.  I love the idea of cooking green beans with Andouille sausage ( have some homemade in the freezer).  We've been buying some frozen veg lately including beans but what could I sub for the pickled smoked ham hock besides a smoked ham hock & vinegar?  How about liquid smoke and vinegar?... a little of both.  Or I have some pork meat from our whole pig BBQ...maybe some of that..it's got smokey outside pieces.

It's picked ham hock, not pickled! Yes, some of the bbq pig, bacon, whatever.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?