• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@BKEats Lovely food as always. I am also "artichoke girl". Have you had then more simply with grilled lemon halves?  The butternut squash souns like a perfect assembly of flavor. How do you do your rosemary oil? 

31 minutes ago, heidih said:

@BKEats Lovely food as always. I am also "artichoke girl". Have you had then more simply with grilled lemon halves?  The butternut squash souns like a perfect assembly of flavor. How do you do your rosemary oil? 

I have had them many ways..  I am usually more into simplicity but, these days, if I just boiled and grilled something, that wouldn't kill much time, would it!  😆  I often just like in steamed in some flavored water and served with a garlic mayo. The grilling definitely kicks it up bit.    i prefer the added smoke and char but, my wife grew up eating them one way. 

As I was running, i was  taking inventory of my fridge.. i have scallions, i have watercress,  spinach, i have artichokes, mozzarella, i think I have a lamb head and tongue in my freezer, I have some left over sauce gribiche.. then i have this guanciale, i was thinking maybe a carbonara with the leftover artichokes, or I was thinking vitello tonnato, but, with lamb and artichokes and a really love tuna sauce. Or I was thinking of artichokes with tuna sauce, or artichokes baked with mozarella, i have a tomato, so I was thinking of a baked stuffed tomato, or stew artichokes in a tomato sauce maybe with anchovies and artichokes, serve with pasta, or just gratin with some bread crumbs and melted cheese. I have the end of a sourdough my friend was making to help restraunts,  Or spinach, watercress, artichoke dip, or pizza, or calzone, or cannelloni... It's exhausting...  And all I really want it cold sesame noodles but, i have too many things that need to be eaten before I can make them. 

The butternut squash, I  used a spaghetti squash but, butternut would have been just as good..  I never made  rosemary oil, i had made a scallion oil for the cucumbers.. That was essentially taking unflavored oil and smashing it on the mortar with the scallions.. I added a shot of a sichuan oil to it as well.. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 2

@BKEats Sorry the squash and rosemary oil questions should have been directed @Okanagancook

On artichokes (ooh sounds like a serious essay)  have you had or made Carciofi alla Giudia - the Roman fried?

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

@BKEats Sorry the squash and rosemary oil questions should have been directed @Okanagancook

On artichokes (ooh sounds like a serious essay)  have you had or made Carciofi alla Giudia - the Roman fried?

Or my other favorite way they're prepared in Roime, Carciofi alla Romana?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

19 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Or my other favorite way they're prepared in Roime, Carciofi alla Romana?

Yes what I  wrote is the dialect - maybe no longer used

Never made Roman Fried!  That is not my favorite version.  Artichokes are the rare thing that I will happily eat the healthy version of! 

So, i guess I'll keep going with these artichokes:

49860211257_50f20da76b_z.jpg

So, first I made a semolina pasta dough.. 2 cups semolina, 2 eggs, some olive oil... All roughly.. It weighed out to be about 10 ounces

49860221707_9f9912fd3f_z.jpg

To the pan I put roughly 5 cloves of garlic sliced, olive oil and a package of cherry tomatoes.. Then salt, vermouth, water, red chile, capers and three anchovies.  

I put the artichoke steams in toward the end and the cut up hearts last to heat up:

49860211492_9d3f695da4_z.jpg

This was the sauce i put in a hot pan prior to adding the pasta

49860221697_397de577dc_z.jpg

Mixed the two, added some oil, some more hot pepper, I messed up and forgot basil:

49859908376_9fa3cf3fde_c.jpg

then there is a photo with toasted bread crumbs but, it's not loading. 

49859898056_007accb832_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 14

On 5/4/2020 at 3:41 AM, BKEats said:

its always soup weather, just put the ac on. 

not everyone has AC.  If it is too hot/humid I hide in the basement with the dehumidifiers on.

luckily it is supposed to be in the low 60s for the next week or so … definitely soup weather here.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Yes what I  wrote is the dialect - maybe no longer used

No - they're 2 different dishes...alla Romana is braised in olive oil, alla Giudea is deep fried!  Either way, they're spectacular. Here's an alla Romana prep...

2112999477_2013_11_14RomeArmandoartichoke.JPG.3e8a8ae018fbd869335cbf089573a344.JPG

32 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Inspired by @weinoo (I think...I can't find the post now!)  He made me remember that I have some canned clams downstairs.

thumbnail_IMG_7757.jpg.b49cc501a1b3586c030abeb006c02409.jpg

Looks good, @Shelby!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

23 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

looks like a good beginning to caldo verde

Well, not exactly...

1482996484_Kaleandbeansoup05-04.jpeg.b4e5602977b37829ed4b28b966bdd81a.jpeg

But Close...sautéed some garlic, celery  and onion in olive oil. Added the leftover kale, leftover RG beans from another meal, a can of tomatoes, some water, simmered it all for about 30 minutes, and had a fine soup.  Went along with this...

1434840527_Eggsaldpotatosalad05-04.jpeg.ac8e1134b6d9393dd67e5be82edb0afb.jpeg

Egg salad on lettuce leaves and a more Nordic than French potato salad, made with creme fraiche, mustard and lots of dill. Good.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

6 hours ago, heidih said:

I heated some canola oil to about 230f and added chopped fresh rosemary.  Let it sit for an hour and strain.  Sorry, do not remember ratios of oil to rosemary.  I then froze it.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

the method for perfect meat and skin..

Doing the Chook, or the "BBqed Buzzard" is usually a two day event for me.  Brine for a day and a night.  Dry uncovered in the fridge for the day till cooking time.

To brine is definitely the way to go and a large amount of salt is the trick.    Moist and crisp. 🐔

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Dante said:

Tonight's dinner: pizza with black olives and prosciutto:

Sure it was tasty but having oversalted something tonight (yes in the dark to the trash bin past the night critters) how do you balance salt. More Tuscan style dough (no salt) or am I overthinking? Thanks :)

8 hours ago, Captain said:

To brine is definitely the way to go and a large amount of salt is the trick.    Moist and crisp. 🐔

Go on then Gimmie your brine recipe! I'll be honest I did pull up on the salt because my heart started to tick funny as I measured 😂

Pretty Please. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2