• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

FDF211F2-C849-43D0-ACBC-1446ADEC4378.thumb.jpeg.59a0705ffa22c6f543d7e4159a5f0ee3.jpeg

Tamagoyaki  with nori and cheese, cocktail tomato, and miso soup with wakame seaweed. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9C7EFBFD-2142-4FA7-924E-E7C596D75AAB.thumb.jpeg.222ef11f5322397a0163e700a38c3e45.jpeg

A small bowl of rice topped with some leftover pieces of tamagoyaki  and some freshly made sweet, spicy and sticky shiitake mushrooms (from dried).  

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

78E935DA-B8A4-4C45-97F7-8A61490E39F1.thumb.jpeg.b217296d49d317b193832733e6c96964.jpeg

Egg and mushroom onigirazu. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

On November 17, 2018 at 10:17 AM, Ann_T said:

Haven't made Moe poached eggs in a while so that was what he had for breakfast.

2142336776_PoachedEggsNovember17th2018.thumb.jpg.ba09411fa12ca4935b0b76fde0ab11b3.jpg

Farm fresh eggs.  

211713933_Baguettes4dayfermentationbakedNovember16th2018.thumb.jpg.58904807301c12913e7826bcd294518b.jpg

And the bread was baked last night.  Makes the best toast. 

Ann, If you ran a B&B  I'd have a hard time staying asleep for fear I missed breakfast.  Just saying 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Inspired by @chefmd and @kayb ((here),

I made the Food52 version of okonoyimaki. It’s an easy, adaptable and tasty dish but, in my mind, much closer to the Korean kimchijeon (kimchi pancake) than to either of the two more traditional Japanese versions of the dish (here).

4F06422D-4D38-4B11-9EEC-D05928ADE16F.thumb.jpeg.00b077025d5bf7b9a817a3a44f393c5b.jpeg

I added grated carrots and shiitake mushrooms to the Food52 version. 

Thanks for the inspiration to attempt the Osaka and the Hiroshima versions of this dish. Stay tuned.😊

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Green onion cakes with soy, vinegar, Chili and Chili oil dipping sauce washed down with a cuppa T.  Delicious.

The cakes were from the freezer and were made in the summer at the height of garden green onion production.

The good part is I have another ten packages of two. 😍

• Like 4

On 11/19/2018 at 9:12 PM, Okanagancook said:

Wonderfully diverse breakfasts!

Mine are so boring...not worthy of a photo most of the time.

Tomorrow will be an apple and probably a hunk of medium Gouda with a cup of tea.

My all-but-invariable breakfast is steel-cut oatmeal. Sturdy, satisfying, but the opposite of photogenic. :P

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I love steel cut oatmeal.

I cook it with milk , therefore in a fuzzy logic japanese rice cooker.

I make a lot and refrigerate it

I take out what ill have in the AM

\Micro it ,  add dried cranberries , a little more milk , and a pat of butter

superb w sourdough toast,

even better w a breakfast sausage !

real staying power for cold days.

• Like 1

I used to make steel cut oatmeal for my DH who said it was the best he'd ever had.

Me?  I can't stand it...I think it's the texture that I find nasty.

I made it in my Japanese rice maker that had a porridge setting...it cooked a long time, I think at least 40 minutes.  I wish I liked oatmeal; I've tried over and over, cooking it with different add-ins but it still doesn't ring my bell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain said:

Crumpets and picklets from my sourdough disgard.

They packed a punch of flavour.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822ccimageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822ccIMG_20181122_073533.thumb.jpg.3e760a168def73da871295093c25074a.jpg

What a great idea. What crumpet recipe did you use, please? 

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanksgiving breakfast: Date Pancakes from Shaya. For today, I served the pancakes with some yogurt and just a bit of date syrup.

fullsizeoutput_386f.thumb.jpeg.b5502169adba1de3f37bd3ab0f2d6299.jpeg

These are lacking the Rose Tahini that's supposed to accompany them. I bought some nice Medjool dates a the farmers market but keep forgetting to buy rose petals and rosewater. I think I'm subconsciously afraid of perfume-y food 🙃
The pancakes are light and fluffy. No sugar in the batter but the little bites of sweet dates throughout mean that they really don't need a sweet accompaniment so I can see why the tahini would work.  It's made with tahini, rosebuds, allspice, cardamom, pink peppercorns, coriander, Persian lime, caraway and rose water. 

• Like 7